Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31899 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .25 ❧ I need a Cooler Name!
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2014, 11:42:10 am »

Looks like it is currently mostly against melee weapons being stronger.

One thing I thought about doing is giving all the guns a "knife" melee attack. Something like:

[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:800:knife:knives:NO_SUB:1250]
   [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]

Representing dwarves in melee pulling out their knives instead of hitting people with the incredibly light guns. Some will have bayonets, if the real model would accept them. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:21:44 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .25 ❧
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:22 pm »

That sounds good, I think.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .25 ❧
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:10 am »

Alright, I went with that and am currently testing it out. It seems to work fine, it will keep your dwarves from acting too stupidly.

The Bombola tests where pretty much complete failures, they didn't get any of the skills when they transformed, babies still had to grow up, and adults got re-aged. I might stick with the concept, adding  SKILL_LEARN_RATE instead, if there is even enough interest for this. I haven't had a game go long enough to actually test if they grow up/ die of old age right, if anyone has seen this please tell me.

They are pretty fun to play in adventure mode, though.

I am also working on making sure the guns pierce armor right again, I fixed it so no guns bounce of normal cloths at least, for next version, but have not had the chance to text extensively with kevlar armor.

As always, I really appreciate feedback and  ideas! Bug reports are also fair game, and I will answer any questions if you just ask.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »

I may have been to quick to dismiss what I have done with the Bombola. Further testing shows that babies grow up to children at year 1, once conditioned, and likely grow up at year 2 after that. Children likely also grow on the next "age check", bringing the effects but later then most transformations.

I also found a way to get them conditioned without effecting the adult. As I have two transformations, one for boys and one for girls, separating them would allow you to make an opposite gender dwarf that can train without fear of transforming him/herself.

Combined with the already high learning rate of the Bombola, if I add naturally even higher rates for training (like 400%) it might still be an interesting addition with the concept I have now.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:10 pm »

New version coming right up! It was mostly cleaning up and bug fix, with the important new feature of all guns having either a "Knife" attack (uses Sword skill) or a "Bayonet" attack (Uses Spear skill). Both seem to work, and everyone *should* show up with ammunition properly.

I tested all the guns on silk shirts, firm in the knowlage that bullets now beat normal clothing.

Bombola still need more testing, sorry about that. It takes a long time to do so, considering aging is an important factor in playing them. I might have to down the max age just for testing.

I fixed the goblin glitch I somehow forgot, I had the BODY tokens as part of the creature. Just moved it to the normal goblins, making only them have normal goblin parts.

All right! I will keep bugfixing/ adding things! As always, please report any bugs and give me any new ideas.

I was thinking of adding another race, of medium hostility, because it still seems like there are points where I could be fighting but am not. What do you guys think?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .26 ❧ I need a Cooler Name!
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2014, 08:17:03 pm »

Something like a group of Tyrannian Partisans who live in forest retreats and send fighters to ambush you (as a Tyrannian trading partner, maybe you could make them skulking so successful raids would lead to a siege) would be cool. Ideally, these guys would have very few vehicles if any, and use mostly older weapons. They would rely on the element of surprise and superior numbers for victory. I can't think of a decent acronym for their name, but there's something there at least.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2014, 09:34:41 pm »

Something like a group of Tyrannian Partisans who live in forest retreats and send fighters to ambush you (as a Tyrannian trading partner, maybe you could make them skulking so successful raids would lead to a siege) would be cool. Ideally, these guys would have very few vehicles if any, and use mostly older weapons. They would rely on the element of surprise and superior numbers for victory. I can't think of a decent acronym for their name, but there's something there at least.

That idea is brilliant! It fits in every way, would be simple to do, but is also unique and interesting. I have been looking for ways to make them a trading partner with the Tyrannian motherland, if that was what you intention was, though I haven't found anything. It is definitely going to be in the next update in some form.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2014, 04:54:04 pm »

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I like how you've sorta combined Fantasy and Modern, with the Umbra and the Angel-megabeast. DLing!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2014, 07:48:46 pm »

...In adventure, what skill would give one guns?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »

...In adventure, what skill would give one guns?

I never thought I would see you here. Anyway, the Crossbow skill. That is Marksdwarfship for dwarves, Crossbowman for humans etc. I hope you enjoy the game! You should know it is kind of difficult to play on adventure, all the poles on it basically favored Fortress mode so that is what I focused on. I suggest starting with high sneaking skill, since one bullet can easily kill you. That is how I usually play, at least.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »

Looks like it is currently mostly against melee weapons being stronger.

One thing I thought about doing is giving all the guns a "knife" melee attack. Something like:

[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:800:knife:knives:NO_SUB:1250]

Representing dwarves in melee pulling out their knives instead of hitting people with the incredibly light guns. Some will have bayonets, if the real model would accept them. What do you guys think?

[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:800:stab:stabs:fixed knife:1250]

"you stab the target with the fixed knife of your iron rifle"

or something to that effect, have a gander at how swords "slap" with the flat of the blades.

Also been a long time, seems this is still progressing well. Nice.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »

Also been a long time, seems this is still progressing well. Nice.

Still been on and off, but I have had some time since my truck broke down a while ago. I have still been making several improvements. At the very least, I fixed up most of everything from the conversion to the new version.

I just put them up in the last version, so far they are "Bayonets" for guns capable of accepting them, "You bayonet the goblin with your *Steel M16*!" and knives for pistols an guns that can't get the much more awkward "You knife the goblin with your *Steel Beretta Pistol!*" I don't think fixed knives would really work better in this context (Fixed knife pistol? Cool, I might save it for the cinematic weapons, but gets silly when every gun ever has a knife sticking out of it.)

Speaking of Cinematic weapons, an idea I was tossing around was getting a Narhiril- inspired cinematic workshop of some kind. It would let you generate small quantities of expensive, powerful, and less-realistic weapons, like the Desert Eagle, XM196 Minigun, and "Duel 1911s". I am kind of hesitant of "ruining" the more realistic (kind of-sort of) guns I already have in. They wouldn't be a huge improvement, but would be something to work for. The two ideas I had for this are: 1. To make a workshop with one reaction, that can produce the cinematic weapons at a very small chance for a moderate amount of resources, and allows you to make unlimited bullets for it. Or 2: Same as above, but instead of generating guns generates "Blueprints", which allow you to make unlimited or less limited (Maybe a small chance of you losing the blueprints) amount of that gun and its ammunition.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2014, 09:42:02 pm »

well I used "fixed knife" because I couldn't think of the correct way to spell bayonet. But the syntax that I posted is what will make combat messages look a bit nicer. When I see:
"You knife the goblin with your *Steel Beretta Pistol!*"
it makes me feel like I just shoved my gun into the goblin, where as
"You stab the goblin with the knife of your *Steel Beretta Pistol!*"

just looks a bit nicer to me.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »

well I used "fixed knife" because I couldn't think of the correct way to spell bayonet. But the syntax that I posted is what will make combat messages look a bit nicer. When I see:
"You knife the goblin with your *Steel Beretta Pistol!*"
it makes me feel like I just shoved my gun into the goblin, where as
"You stab the goblin with the knife of your *Steel Beretta Pistol!*"

just looks a bit nicer to me.

Fair point. I am not in a hurry to release the next version, and have plenty of time to come up with an improved wording. I guess I will go with your version for now, it isn't like it is a huge deal. It would be nice if we could customize the wording a little more, but it is kind of hard to pretend you are using a different weapon when it names the weapon you use in each attack.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:50 pm »

Alright, so far the pole is generally high, with apparently half o' my usual voters not even playing my mod. Or they just chose the option saying they didn't for kicks or something.

I haven't worked on it or even tested it in a while, I have been busy elsewhere. School has kept me working, and I finally mostly fixed my truck. I still don't have a better wording of the last one, but still haven't really thought about it.

For the next version, it looks like Toady is adding some interesting emotions. I will have to see what I can do with them, I hope I can at least do something that effects them more than I could in the past. Maybe make the computers a bit more useful, at least, or add bonuses to soda and finally get around to other similar things.

As always, I am open to feedback, questions, or suggestions! Please post here if you have any.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8