Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see more of in this Mod?

More enemies! Not enough things to use all the new guns on!
- 3 (7.3%)
More guns! Never enough daka!
- 9 (22%)
More unique/interesting things.
- 7 (17.1%)
FIX THE HUGE AMOUNT OF BUGS YOU ALREADY HAVE MORON!
- 22 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ⊕ Version .28 ⊕  (Read 31792 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Modern! ❧ Version .26 ❧ I need a Cooler Name!
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2014, 04:33:03 pm »

Still watching this, for what it's worth. My last fort with this mod (I play a lot of mods) collapsed a while ago to tantrum spiral after an ambush killed the mayor/woodcutter, but I've been thinking of starting another one up lately. If I can figure out how I may post some pictures if it goes well, though an LP is far beyond me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:28 pm »

Still watching this, for what it's worth. My last fort with this mod (I play a lot of mods) collapsed a while ago to tantrum spiral after an ambush killed the mayor/woodcutter, but I've been thinking of starting another one up lately. If I can figure out how I may post some pictures if it goes well, though an LP is far beyond me.

It is worth something, at least to me. It is good to know everything I did with this mod was worth something, I hope everyone playing enjoys it.

Posting pictures isn't too hard, either. Holding down alt+F12 takes a screenshot which you can then post in paint (Control+V, of course). There are plenty of free sights you can upload it on, I usually use http://postimage.org/
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 08:50:59 pm »

Okay, that doesn't sound too hard.

Also, if you haven't already make sure to include the stepladders in the entity definitions. They don't appear to be hardcoded to be available ( I wasn't able to produce them in my .14 game.) I also noticed that the gunsmith's forge has reactions for soap-making in it. That was a bit strange, but other than that everything seems to be working more or less as intended.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2014, 11:09:12 am »

Also, if you haven't already make sure to include the stepladders in the entity definitions. They don't appear to be hardcoded to be available ( I wasn't able to produce them in my .14 game.) I also noticed that the gunsmith's forge has reactions for soap-making in it. That was a bit strange, but other than that everything seems to be working more or less as intended.

Yeah, that was my bad. I thought I fixed it, but forgot. The Gunsmith was the first building I made years ago when I started the mod. I didn't know how to add new buildings, so I changed the "Soap Maker" into a "Gunsmith", with the reactions to making the M16 and bullets. It turns out when you make a new game, it keeps all the old ones. I fixed it for real next time.

As for the stepladder, thank you! I thought those where hard coded, and would never have added them if someone didn't remind me.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »

Found a little more weirdness. When I have dwarves use the computers, they go pick up the capacitor, then the job is done. They don't bring it back to the computer, or do anything else. I tried dumping them unforbidding the capacitor on top of the computer, and still nothing. This problem might be on my end though, I've never heard of this happening before.

Also, how long do units stay transformed into vehicles? My president was caught in the gas cloud and is now a jeep. Until he turns back, I'll just assume he's joyriding it around town.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2014, 11:15:51 pm »

Found a little more weirdness. When I have dwarves use the computers, they go pick up the capacitor, then the job is done. They don't bring it back to the computer, or do anything else. I tried dumping them unforbidding the capacitor on top of the computer, and still nothing. This problem might be on my end though, I've never heard of this happening before.

That is certainly odd. I haven't done much with the computers in a long time, I will have to test it out myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Is everything else working well? My modding habits end up making lots of weird things.

Also, how long do units stay transformed into vehicles? My president was caught in the gas cloud and is now a jeep. Until he turns back, I'll just assume he's joyriding it around town.

A few in game months. Hope you didn't expect him to get anything done! There *should* be a timer somewhere that tells you how much longer they have, if I remember correctly. No clue what unit it is in, though. At least he probably won't die in an ambush. Just think of it as the dwarfy version of golfing.

Speaking of which, are jeeps working well for you? I always thought they where pretty underpowered, they didn't even get the fancy new attacks every other vehicle got.

*EDIT*

I see a bunch of other weirdness with computers, but not what you described. They don't seem to even give any experience as they should. I think I need an actual product for them to work as they should. For now, it would probably be best to ignore the computers. But keep the input coming! I will have enough bug fixes just from your input for the next version!

(Just as a note, I *did* have an actual product, but seem to have erased what it was supposed to make. I will probably end up putting something useless there, just to give it something to make)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:30:16 pm by Stirk »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »

I looked into it more, and it seems the dwarf who was trying to use the computer had extensive nerve damage in his hands. He's seen a doctor (after I had him injured a little bit more) and is more or less fine now.

The jeeps haven't actually seen serious combat, a police patrol killed all the ambushers before they arrived (though they were lightly armed and unarmored and suffered heavy losses in doing so.) They've actually only seen combat once, against a pair of wild trolls. Is there any way you can prevent them from wrestling, or buff the machinegun? They fired the machinegun but preferred to do things like lock and break the troll's hips and legs with their front tires and other stuff like that. The machinegun didn't do quite as much damage as I expected it to either, with the squad armed with AK-47's they were attached to tearing up the trolls much more easily. I haven't tried the tanks or the aircraft yet but I'd really like to reliably deploy armor support for the army in the future, when I have the dwarfpower to crew them.

Power seems to be working as intended. I haven't got any petroleum reserves so no experience on that. All of the power I produce domestically comes from a hydroelectric power plant I've constructed (no wind on this map.) I'm actually rather proud of it, it has a total of 8 waterwheels powering 2 millstones each. Capacitors are charged slowly but fairly reliably as long as the machinery is actually working and the laborers are at their stations. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to dwarven mechanical engineering, so every so often the channel will run too low or too high and the setup will grind to a halt. Luckily (?) nobody's drowned yet, but it's definitely in need of some attention from health and safety.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2014, 01:59:27 am »

The jeeps haven't actually seen serious combat, a police patrol killed all the ambushers before they arrived (though they were lightly armed and unarmored and suffered heavy losses in doing so.) They've actually only seen combat once, against a pair of wild trolls. Is there any way you can prevent them from wrestling, or buff the machinegun? They fired the machinegun but preferred to do things like lock and break the troll's hips and legs with their front tires and other stuff like that. The machinegun didn't do quite as much damage as I expected it to either, with the squad armed with AK-47's they were attached to tearing up the trolls much more easily. I haven't tried the tanks or the aircraft yet but I'd really like to reliably deploy armor support for the army in the future, when I have the dwarfpower to crew them.

I could probably fix the "ram" attack that they where supposed to be with, but I honestly don't do a lot of work on things I don't use when I play it. It would make them stronger in melee, at least. I keep trying to make the machine guns and other glob attacks more powerful, but currently have found absolutely no way of doing so. Even firing slade with a double-plus boost doesn't even break bones. I might end up giving the jeeps an "Anti-vehicle" attack like I did when I updated the other vehicals, and lower the machine gun rate of fire, making them a poor mans tank that is competent in close combat. In fact, I will probably give it a "M2-Browning machine gun" with enough power to at least decimate unarmored animals.

Have you been able to control them properly? It sounds like you can get them to fight. They can be pretty touchy sometimes, I hope the instructions I remember leaving in the tutorial work.

It is good to hear that power is working properly and reasonably, considering how important it is to running a powerful fort. I still see problems in my own computer on computers, and have absolutely no clue why they don't work properly.

Oh well. I am off to update the Jeep, wish me luck!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2014, 02:06:56 pm »

And the fort's fallen, because I was thoroughly unprepared to face the Blacklisted. Ammunition was scare, so about half of my soldiers didn't have any, and just went without it to in close with their knives. That worked about as well as you'd expect it to, hehe.

To get jeeps into combat, I just put depots near where I expect fighting to be, and make all the nearby doors impassible other than the ones that lead to the fight.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »

And the fort's fallen, because I was thoroughly unprepared to face the Blacklisted. Ammunition was scare, so about half of my soldiers didn't have any, and just went without it to in close with their knives. That worked about as well as you'd expect it to, hehe.

To get jeeps into combat, I just put depots near where I expect fighting to be, and make all the nearby doors impassible other than the ones that lead to the fight.

How did the Jeeps fair against the blacklisted's guns? Not well, I would assume.

Ammunition conservation has always been a big problem in my forts, too. Especially if you want to hunt or otherwise train your troops before pushing them off into battle. I don't think I should "improve" it, it feels like making enough ammunition is part of the game.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2014, 01:39:19 pm »

I was all out of steel, so I couldn't deploy anything but infantry.

I've somewhat worked around the problem of training ammunition by having people train the marksdwarf skill with pistols, because the ammunition is made in bigger batches. Imported lead is also very important. I don't give very many bullets to each individual soldier either. Guys with AK's 30 rounds, guys with pistols get 20, anyone else gets 10. I only outfit maybe 10 beards in the regular military with something other than an AK tops because of ammunition problems. Police and some civilians get handguns because they can be made in bulk for very little cost, but only get ammo if I anticipate trouble.

Del1m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2014, 01:34:11 pm »

Can't seem to get any kevlar armor in arena mode. Been like this since .40.xx

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2014, 01:42:03 pm »

I was all out of steel, so I couldn't deploy anything but infantry.

I've somewhat worked around the problem of training ammunition by having people train the marksdwarf skill with pistols, because the ammunition is made in bigger batches. Imported lead is also very important. I don't give very many bullets to each individual soldier either. Guys with AK's 30 rounds, guys with pistols get 20, anyone else gets 10. I only outfit maybe 10 beards in the regular military with something other than an AK tops because of ammunition problems. Police and some civilians get handguns because they can be made in bulk for very little cost, but only get ammo if I anticipate trouble.

Have you been using the Ark Furnce? It helps out a good bit with the lack of mineral problem, if you have the energy to spare. I might have to balance out the "alternate" energies, to make them a bit higher. They aren't meant to be as good as oil, but they should at least be able to keep one furnace going...

Can't seem to get any kevlar armor in arena mode. Been like this since .40.xx

Thank you for bringing up this issue with me! I have been having the exact same problem, unfortunately, and have absolutely no clue how to fix it. I will try messing around with things, but everyone should be aware that Kevlar works fine in the actual game. It just doesn't appear in Arena mode for some odd reason.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »

Winter break is coming up. The new updates have kept coming, I will probably be able to get it to the current version over the break. I will also add in all the fixes I currently made, probably getting a bit more done before just publishing the implemented upgrades.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2014, 05:46:45 pm »

Alright. The newest version will be up in a matter of seconds! Everything should work with the current version of DF, but I was not able to test every little detail. As always, please tell me if something is broken or not working right! Your own ideas and opinions are always welcome here! It is boring on this thread if nobody says anything but me!

Again, I am now on break and have an overabundance of time to work on my mod. In the next few days, I will try to make sure everything is up and running at 100%. I might add a few simple things, maybe another gun or two, and work on the new projects I have been promising.

Updates for the new version:
Upgrade Goblin and Tyrannian vehicals with the AT attacks I totally forgot to give them.
Speelcheck some things. Intellegint is hart o spel. Thanks the1337doofus for pointing out the error.
Fix the soapmaker mistake for real!
Fixed stepladders not showing up. Thanks to Baffler for pointing this out!
Upgraded Jeep with its own AV attack. Still weaker than other vehicals, but now can beat unarmored stuff!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8