demons
magma
necromancers
undead
tantrum spiral
loyalty cascade
giant mosquito invasion

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION  (Read 67353 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: 400 things you learned the hard way. FORTRESS EDITION
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »

450. Throwing rocks in the air with a bridgeapult will result in said rocks landing on the dwarf who pulled the lever.

451. Never assign a large area to be channeled.

Also why doesn't the poll above have an option for starvation/dehydration. Half my farmers usually sit around doing nothing even when all their labor is enabled untill we starve.

Are things forbidden?  Can they path to the appropriate areas?  Do you think you have buildings/farm plots, but they were destroyed by a creature with the building destroyer tag?

That last one brings me to...

452.  Always check to see if you still have butcher/tannery/farm plots etc after an invasion by creatures like Trolls.  Otherwise, you'll be curing your farmers for doing nothing when you've marked 20 pigs for slaughter.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 10, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »

Also why doesn't the poll above have an option for starvation/dehydration. Half my farmers usually sit around doing nothing even when all their labor is enabled untill we starve.
Are things forbidden?  Can they path to the appropriate areas?  Do you think you have buildings/farm plots, but they were destroyed by a creature with the building destroyer tag?
Nothing is forbidden. Not the seeds, beer, food, nor even socks. There are paths enough to the areas with no forbidden doors or bridges. There are multiple plots, but only one is being used by the one farmer who has decided to work. I checked and nothing has been destroyed. I have even set the farmers to only have farming related and hauling preferences set. I set all the farming ones on in an attempt to get them to do something, but nothing happens.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 11, 2013, 11:47:59 am »

453. Glass weapons are reletively cheap on resources and endless, but when you manufacture ten per trap, the value of your fortress will reach siege level before you've got the traps ready...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2013, 11:50:38 am »

Nothing is forbidden. Not the seeds, beer, food, nor even socks. There are paths enough to the areas with no forbidden doors or bridges. There are multiple plots, but only one is being used by the one farmer who has decided to work. I checked and nothing has been destroyed. I have even set the farmers to only have farming related and hauling preferences set. I set all the farming ones on in an attempt to get them to do something, but nothing happens.
This may seem condescending, but you did remember to mark on the plots what crops to plant right? they won't plant if there's nothing scheduled for that season

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2013, 12:20:50 pm »

This may seem condescending, but you did remember to mark on the plots what crops to plant right? they won't plant if there's nothing scheduled for that season
Yes I did. They all have plants for every season, and there are more than enough seeds. Only one farmer dwarf is working, the rest aren't doing anything and aren't even saying that they are on break, just that they have 'no job.'

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »

[Older Versions] To dig out escape ramps on ponds and lakes, especially in cold biomes.  I'm glad Toady added natural ramps.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 11, 2013, 12:31:33 pm »

454. Digging a death pit may results in unintended deaths.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 11, 2013, 12:42:24 pm »

454. Digging a death pit may results in unintended deaths.

Unintended? But it's a friggin' death pit!

455. Don't send a female miner down to open the caverns for FB-luring purposes. Her kids will retrace her steps and get eaten.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 11, 2013, 05:19:39 pm »

456. Sending a brand new migrant to kill a Roc before checking if they happen to be a legendary carpenter is bad.

Also remove HFS from the poll please.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 11, 2013, 07:38:01 pm »

457.  Coffins, not matter how heavy their lid, do NOT prevent reanimated corpses from escaping.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 12, 2013, 06:29:45 am »

458. For the purpose of export bans, it doesn't matter what the status of mandates was when the deal was made. What matters is whether or not the ban was in effect when the items left the map.

They all have plants for every season, and there are more than enough seeds. Only one farmer dwarf is working, the rest aren't doing anything and aren't even saying that they are on break, just that they have 'no job.'
[/quote]

This sort of thing generally is caused by some kind of user error. Maybe next time this happens to you, save the fort (preferably while the farming area is on the screen), upload the (zipped) saved archive folder (e.g. to http://dffd.wimbli.com/ ) and ask people to take a look at it.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]