Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An agreement from all of us here.  (Read 6317 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
An agreement from all of us here.
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:45:29 pm »

TO STOP TALKING ABOUT THE UI.

Most of us here understand it and are not bothered by it, its only all these new people flooding in trying to change stuff.

UI For Dwarf Fortress is already being sorted out AS WE SPEAK. What we are trying to do is allow Dwarf Fortress to act like an engine, Toady can add whatever features he wants and what we will do is just read the games data and inject UI events.

So essentially imagine senescence and it being able to push UI Events into the game with some fancy interface that has been made, so we can make any sort of interface we want.

It just reads the game and sends keyboard events back in.

This post is probably in the wrong area, im just trying to catch some scrubs.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An agreement from all of us here.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »

imagine sensescence... ok i'm senile

now i don't understand this post... does it make more sense if i'm not senile?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:57 pm »

I disagree with that mindset; it is how white elephants in the room get entrenched.

Simply because we get tired of seeing an opinion tendered, does not mean we get to mandate that the holders of those opinions be silent. Taken to an extreme, that kind of thinking is what oppressive regimes think about their subjects demanding equitable treatment and "rights."

On ethical grounds, I simply cannot endorse such a resolution.  People *are* entitled to their opinions.

Instead, I would tender the following alternative:

We accept that we have opinions on what we would like to see, and on how the game should progress in terms of development; however, *WE ARE NOT THE GAME'S CREATORS*. As such, while we are entitled to our opinions, the only choice we actually have is to play it, or not to play it. We have no power to compel toady or three-toe to do or change anything, and if we did, it would be unconsionable to exercise such a power. Toady and Three-toe are not slaves, and under no obligations to give us anything at all; such a compulsion would take away that natural right, and is reprehensible in the fullest. Dwarf fortress was and is developed for THEIR pleasure, not ours.  As such, we should agree that it is simply out of line to try to tell toady his business, and in that light, should agree that we will undertake no venture or enterprise to enact such a compulsion. (Trying to steal executive authority by "putting to a vote", or trying to bribe or coerce with a kickstarter, or other such action. We have no authority to even propose such an action; we should agree never to try.)

However, the flipside is that if an OPINION thread is created, it should be allowed, no matter how tired, worn, and innately impotent such opinions are. If we respect Toady's executive authority on his own work, and the sanctity of his opinions and choices, we should do so for ourselves and each other too. If we bind ourselves in taboos and "unspoken rules", we become a degnerate, unfriendly culture. What would that say about us?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:43:34 pm »

What wierd said. People are entitled to their opinions. We're also entitled to go "Sweet merciful Armok there have been so many topics about this already use the search function", but, y'know, being aggravated by the UI thing being brought up yet again is an opinion we are also entitled to.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:42 am »

Absolutely.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:45:30 am »

you do know too are making yet another topic about the ui. abeit about the making of topics to whine about said ui.

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:09:30 am »

[OP]

I like how you elected yourself the UI thread dictator guy. But why aim so low? You should declare yourself moderator, then go delete all the posts that make you sad. Then you'd have a forum with like 8 people in, and you could all stop posting anything except *I agree*.

Think of all the great posts you could read.

Too bad you have no ambition. Have some chocolate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:21:30 am by xcorps »

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:54 am »

my bad i mis-understood your post.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:01:52 am by choppy »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:47 am »

I like how you elected yourself the UI thread dictator guy. But why aim so low? You should declare yourself moderator, then go delete all the posts that make you sad. Then you'd have a forum with like 8 people in, and you could all stop posting anything except *I agree*.

Think of all the great posts you could read.

Too bad you have no ambition. Have some chocolate.
Phillip the Strawman wants you to stop beating him with a keyboard.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 03:21:00 am »

I was responding to the OP, sorry.  :o

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:15 am »

Oh, crap! Sorry about that.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 03:24:53 am »

I just had the perfect idea

If you don't like people talking about UI, Necro... don't go to the threads talking about UI.

I need to go get the president in on this, hold on.
Everything's in the news today

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 03:30:09 am »

:o O you where talking about the OP. heh heh i thought you were going for me for some reason.

edit: and whos phillip the strawman?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:31:46 am by choppy »

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:01 am »

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 03:58:51 am »

This is probably the friendliest and most helpful forum on the internet, in spite of (or maybe because of ?) the cruel background of the game. Please don't endanger this by trying to impose new rules on what people may say.
Much as the game and in particular the UI, this forum works fine because of all its 'flaws'. It's alive because people present the same questions and views over and over again, allowing everybody to reconsider, to be helpful or just to boast with their knowledge.

If you don't like people talking about UI, Necro... don't go to the threads talking about UI.
Seconded.
Pages: [1] 2 3