Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An agreement from all of us here.  (Read 6306 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: An agreement from all of us here.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:04:42 am »

This is probably the friendliest and most helpful forum on the internet, in spite of (or maybe because of ?) the cruel background of the game. Please don't endanger this by trying to impose new rules on what people may say.
Much as the game and in particular the UI, this forum works fine because of all its 'flaws'. It's alive because people present the same questions and views over and over again, allowing everybody to reconsider, to be helpful or just to boast with their knowledge.

If you don't like people talking about UI, Necro... don't go to the threads talking about UI.
Seconded.

I say because of. We work out all our aggression by dropping goblins and kittens into spike pits.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 04:06:27 am »

I say because of. We work out all our aggression by dropping goblins and kittens into spike pits.

And nobles. Don't forget the nobles.
Everything's in the news today

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 04:38:09 am »

And nobles. Don't forget the nobles.

Oh, yes, those too. (Mine have been moderately reasonable.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 04:56:49 am »

I miss the whiny, unrealistic dysfunction of the .40d nobility....

I have such fond memories of boiling them alive in their own juices, and feeling completely justified in doing so...

Nothing quite deserves that in the current version.  Nobles do actual work, they don't make unreasonable mandates with impossible to obtain materials (like slade beds!), and they don't get into pissing matches over the price of plump helmets. They even take longer to go apeshit when they don't get their way now. You can almost safely ignore their pampered little asses these days. Not so back then, when nobles truely knew how to press a player's buttons, and not the other way 'round.

It may sound masochistic, but I would dearly love a config option to get "the full enchelada" again. Turning on the elven and human diplomats with dfhack is good, but nothing quite brings the same joy to my wicked black heart quite like boiling the bloody baron alive with blistering hot magma for murdering my essential production crew for failing to meet his mandate for slade scepters and platinum beds, or for going on a homocidal rampage because he didn't get his "item in bedroom" he was ranting about.

(Laughs wickedly)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 05:04:07 am »

I have such fond memories of boiling them alive in their own juices, and feeling completely justified in doing so...

Nothing quite deserves that in the current version.  Nobles do actual work, they don't make unreasonable mandates with impossible to obtain materials (like slade beds!), and they don't get into pissing matches over the price of plump helmets. They even take longer to go apeshit when they don't get their way now. You can almost safely ignore their pampered little asses these days. Not so back then, when nobles truely knew how to press a player's buttons, and not the other way 'round.

It may sound masochistic, but I would dearly love a config option to get "the full enchelada" again. Turning on the elven and human diplomats with dfhack is good, but nothing quite brings the same joy to my wicked black heart quite like boiling the bloody baron alive with blistering hot magma for murdering my essential production crew for failing to meet his mandate for slade scepters and platinum beds, or for going on a homocidal rampage because he didn't get his "item in bedroom" he was ranting about.

(Laughs wickedly)

Do you really need an excuse to set your nobles on fire? If you really need one, just ignore their mandates, equip your Captain of the Guard and their squad with silver hammers, and don't build jail cells.

Or send them to Razoract! I need volunteers to test my spike pit.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 05:08:35 am »

(Laughs wickedly)

Do you really need an excuse to set your nobles on fire? If you really need one, just ignore their mandates, equip your Captain of the Guard and their squad with silver hammers, and don't build jail cells.

By the sounds of it, those vile forces of darkness should be enough volunteers, or are you testing so you can be sure they'll work against said forces?

Also, I'm happy how we derailed a bad thread. It pleases me.
Everything's in the news today

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:21 am »

(Laughs wickedly)

By the sounds of it, those vile forces of darkness should be enough volunteers, or are you testing so you can be sure they'll work against said forces?

Also, I'm happy how we derailed a bad thread. It pleases me.

I'm refining it! I've got some test subjects waiting outside, but I've had to completely dismantle it so I could put in some pressure plates and I'm not sure they'll be patient enough to stick around until I'm ready for them.

It's wonderful, innit? :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:53 am »

Just throw them a lyemaker or two, and perhaps some chickens.

Goblins really just show up to have a good time, after all-- if they don't have any fun, they get bored and go home.   It's impolite not to entertain such patient guests, so just drop some party favors over the wall, and watch them run around.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:44 am »

Just throw them a lyemaker or two, and perhaps some chickens.

Goblins really just show up to have a good time, after all-- if they don't have any fun, they get bored and go home.   It's impolite not to entertain such patient guests, so just drop some party favors over the wall, and watch them run around.

-CACKLE- I don't have any chickens, unfortunately. I'll have to ask the dwarven caravan for a breeding pair come next autumn...

BUT, as of 8th Obsidian 215, the pressure plates work MAGNIFICENTLY. 15 trolls have been introduced to the wonderful world of PHYSICS! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit, 18th Obsidian:

One small flaw: Due to the fact that diagonal movement is A Thing, I really need to put a pressure plate in the tile that connects the "Come back for another round!" tunnel to the bridges. A troll managed to destroy a couple of stills because it didn't trigger the 3 pressure plates I'd already set up. Luckily, I had time to close the inner bridge, and nobody was harmed! Yaaaaay!

Oh, and they're leaving now. Awwwwww!

Edit2, 1st Granite 216:

Holy crap, I've been playing this fortress for 15 Uristyears. I do believe it is officially my longest-running fort ever.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:48:52 am by Lielac »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 05:57:26 am »

Now that falling objects cause damage on impact, I have desperately wanted to build a "monty python" cow flinging machine, but it must fling ONLY the cow, and not some combination of cow, cage, and minecart.

I find something strangely satisfying with the idea of loading the bridge-o-pult with rotting meat, eggs, and ungodly numbers of ill-tempered turkeys, and sending it all raining over the walls as a seige breaking tactic.

I really hope toady makes bridge-launching more reliable sometime soon.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 05:59:29 am »

Now that falling objects cause damage on impact, I have desperately wanted to build a "monty python" cow flinging machine, but it must fling ONLY the cow, and not some combination of cow, cage, and minecart.

I find something strangely satisfying with the idea of loading the bridge-o-pult with rotting meat, eggs, and ungodly numbers of ill-tempered turkeys, and sending it all raining over the walls as a seige breaking tactic.

I really hope toady makes bridge-launching more reliable sometime soon.

Oh sweet merciful Armok that would be so much fun. Me, I'm just being spammed with "Urist McWhinyprick cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible" and waiting for another siege.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:01 am »

Urist  McWolf cancels complain about OP: interrupted by laughter.

Seriously, you all totally derailed the thread. It's glorious.
Nobles still push all my buttons. I had a noble in a fortress where the goblin civ was extinct (in other words, no sieges except those I bring upon myself) who Mep requesting ballista parts. Over. And over. And over. AND OVER!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:18 am »

Urist  McWolf cancels complain about OP: interrupted by laughter.

Seriously, you all totally derailed the thread. It's glorious.
Nobles still push all my buttons. I had a noble in a fortress where the goblin civ was extinct (in other words, no sieges except those I bring upon myself) who Mep requesting ballista parts. Over. And over. And over. AND OVER!

Oh jeez. Did he have an unfortunate accident?

In other news, I'm chaining up a war leopard and a war giant leopard as Intruder Detectors at the front gate. I have another war leopard kept in reserve in case the elves bring a ladyfriend.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:45 am »

Said baroness? No, she just got a caged Ettin in her room to remind her not to make any ridiculous requests. Like large gems. That the mayor was requesting. He had an... Ah... Unfortunate accident. Involving said Ettin.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 09:48:31 am »

Thread derail away!

Also 'imagine senescense'? I don't think senescense is even the right word to use.
Pages: 1 [2] 3