Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: An agreement from all of us here.  (Read 6272 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: An agreement from all of us here.
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 09:54:49 am »

This is probably the friendliest and most helpful forum on the internet, in spite of (or maybe because of ?) the cruel background of the game. Please don't endanger this by trying to impose new rules on what people may say.
Much as the game and in particular the UI, this forum works fine because of all its 'flaws'. It's alive because people present the same questions and views over and over again, allowing everybody to reconsider, to be helpful or just to boast with their knowledge.

If you don't like people talking about UI, Necro... don't go to the threads talking about UI.
Seconded.

I say because of. We work out all our aggression by dropping goblins and kittens into spike pits.

I would have to agree.  Stephen King said something once about everyone needing to feed the mental alligators now an then, be it through horror films and books, or whatever.  it satisfies the aggressive impulse.  I've noticed that often the more dark the subject matter, or at least violent, the nicer people often are. 

I miss the whiny, unrealistic dysfunction of the .40d nobility....

I have such fond memories of boiling them alive in their own juices, and feeling completely justified in doing so...

Nothing quite deserves that in the current version.  Nobles do actual work, they don't make unreasonable mandates with impossible to obtain materials (like slade beds!), and they don't get into pissing matches over the price of plump helmets. They even take longer to go apeshit when they don't get their way now. You can almost safely ignore their pampered little asses these days. Not so back then, when nobles truely knew how to press a player's buttons, and not the other way 'round.

It may sound masochistic, but I would dearly love a config option to get "the full enchelada" again. Turning on the elven and human diplomats with dfhack is good, but nothing quite brings the same joy to my wicked black heart quite like boiling the bloody baron alive with blistering hot magma for murdering my essential production crew for failing to meet his mandate for slade scepters and platinum beds, or for going on a homicidal rampage because he didn't get his "item in bedroom" he was ranting about.

(Laughs wickedly)

Agreed.  Other than one mayor annoyingly demanding constant traction benches, and my queen wanting gauntlets and/or ballista arrows every five minutes, nobles have lost their edge.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 11:55:20 am »

I came in to propose a ban on proposing bans on forum topics, but I prefer the threadjack.  Please continue :)

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »

I agree please keep up this derail.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »

As soon as the 'menial work exemption' token starts working, it's going right out of the window.

Those of you who enjoy the old insanity might like an option for guild representatives and other immigrant nobles who are replaced automatically when they die, regardless of the state of the fort.

I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 01:10:17 pm »

In nethack, purple-symboled creatures are the strongest and are to be feared.

Urist McNoble, Noble has appeared! Now you will know to fear the purple.
Everything's in the news today

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »

Urist fires the Finger of Death at Urist McNoble!

(Or, my favorite)

Urist reads the scroll of genocide!
What race do you want to genocide?
"humanoid"

You are dead!
(Since urist is a dwarf)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 10:43:57 pm »

In nethack, purple-symboled creatures are the strongest and are to be feared.

Urist McNoble, Noble has appeared! Now you will know to fear the purple.

-CACKLE-

Mine are reasonable as fuck in Razoract. And when I finally got around to making the "jail cells" for this fort, I put them around the edges of my food stockpile:

The pit on the right-hand side is the Happy Fun Spike Pit. :D It's so colorful nowadays...

Edit: And I picked my Guardurists by the top ten weakest lawdorfs as decided by Dwarf Therapist.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:04 am »

Cursed genocide mind flayers; death by mandate

Eeit.: that's a big stockpile.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:58:14 am by cyberTripping »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 09:15:35 am »

You know reading this gloriously derailed threat got me thinking... about minecarts.

As we know once a minecart gets derailed it will skid till it comes to a stop, either from friction or impact with a wall even if it passes over new track heading in the same direction.   However dwarven engineering came up with the concept of the rerailer so said skiding minecart could get back on the rails so to speak.   Now if we can come up with a way to rerail a derailed minecart could we not engineer a way to rerail a thread?  If so what form would said contraption take?   Would we need to build it through the construction menu or could it be carved out through the designation menu?

Sadly(or not so sadly) I do not think we have the proper tools to actualy build such a device and toady has so much on his plate that I couldnt bear to ask him to code in something so trivial for us.  However this seems like the perfect place to have a discussion of this nature.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:29 am »

Well, if you derail a derailed thread, it could get derailed back to the original topic, putting it back on the rails.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 06:38:00 am »

YOU PASSED THE TEST.

Jk, i don't know why i posted this. Might have been drunk, sorry guys. I completely disagree with OP(me) pushing people away like he did for asking stuff and ect.

XD
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:33 am »

UI For Dwarf Fortress is already being sorted out AS WE SPEAK. What we are trying to do is allow Dwarf Fortress to act like an engine, Toady can add whatever features he wants and what we will do is just read the games data and inject UI events.

So essentially imagine senescence and it being able to push UI Events into the game with some fancy interface that has been made, so we can make any sort of interface we want.

It just reads the game and sends keyboard events back in.
Wait, wait...what?

What's all this about "being sorted out as we speak"?  I've only been away from DF for a few months.  Did I miss some sort of earthshattering development in the modding section?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:09 am »

Well its hard to remember but YES actually, troll the stone sense official thread a bit towards the end. There is a guy coding a GUI.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}
Pages: 1 2 [3]