Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Levelling combat skills  (Read 4482 times)

eatdembeanz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Levelling combat skills
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:33:35 am »

The way I understand it, the only way to level up non-Martial Arts combat skills is to have it taught by a LCS member with a higher skill level, or to grind it the old-fashioned, ludicrously dangerous way of handing your rookies a pistol and telling them to start putting the boot to the Conservatives.

I was thinking of making sure my stealth team could defend themselves if the midden hits the windmill, but I don't want to endanger them too much. Can I safely get my sneaky members some skill in weaponry, or should I just put them in some Kung Fu classes and hope that their agility will keep them safe?

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Levelling combat skills
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:39:21 am »

Army Veterans, Gang Members, and Black Belts generally have combat skills.  Black Belts also tend to come with Teaching (that's what the belt means IRL--you're good enough to actually consider teaching, not that you're anywhere near perfect) so they're a good choice for combat-instructor.

If you can subvert CCS folks or other Conservative opposition, they tend to be fairly skilled too.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:59 am »

You don't have to put your whole squad at risk, just one person to become good enough to start teaching. I recommend learning how to teach first, so you don't have to take university classes or whatever while worrying aboot heat.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:38:14 pm »

The best way to keep them safe is a Gymnastics class, to use Kung Fu you have to stand and fight, risky and a crime, running a way with a good Dodge is not.

If i want combat skills it get a Soldier, there common and not to hard to recruit, sure there stats and skills are variable but there so common at the army base that you can date loads of them and fish out the good ones.
(20 hippys with 2 pistol skill and a 38 each make CCS raids a joke.)

Once you have a trainer put them with all the heat free people and let them train away, in few months you have loads of people with basic combat skills.
Id get lockpicking, first aid and driveing as well, it all ways sucks when you lack one.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:55:12 am »

20 hippys with 2 pistol skill and a 38 each make CCS raids a joke
6 Hippies with 10 heavy weapons skill and an M249 + heavy ceramic body armor each makes tanks a joke.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 11:32:05 pm »

1) Get some swat/heavy armor that protects the head.
2) Go to an industrial area and stand around without committing any crimes.
3) Let a worker teach your crew to dodge with bruises at worst when they fail.
4) Repeat for a week or two to max out dodge skill.
5) Train weapons while running around in bullet time.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:59:22 am »

Agents have great combat skills. If you can seduce and are good at it, seduce an agent. Then have them teach everybody else! :)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:55:16 pm »

+1 this, though I don't have use armour. It's whatever factory that uses the union/non-union workers, they usually just have chains. Make sure to avoid security and such though, especially when there are conservative gun control laws.

I always preferred having better defensive skills than offensive ones. It's no good having a guy who can shoot everything if they only last one round of combat.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 07:00:17 pm »

Although Dodge can be amazing, eventually it will fail. This is why you should have good armor incase of that fluke hit. Although a team of badasses should work, those 3 shot military grade rifles really test your Dodge. 

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:23 pm »

I think armor should have a dodge penalty that goes away with strength. After all wearing heavy ceramic armor should make dodging a little tiresome

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 12:04:00 pm »

+1 this, though I don't have use armour. It's whatever factory that uses the union/non-union workers, they usually just have chains. Make sure to avoid security and such though, especially when there are conservative gun control laws.

I always preferred having better defensive skills than offensive ones. It's no good having a guy who can shoot everything if they only last one round of combat.

+1, it's just a great idea.  Plus, you won't have any security at the industrial areas until they say [High Security].  So stand near the exit and run away before the cops/deathsquads show up.  Just don't hang around too long, or you might be intercepted by the police, deathsquads, or an especially active CCS on your way out.

I really can't stress enough how good the industrial areas are for training.  Lots of stuff to break and steal for juice, nobody has guns even at the most permissive levels of gun control, at worse labor laws you can recruit child soldiers (who usually have good combat stats, and are surprisingly charismatic), it's just great all round!

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 11:22:54 am »

The main advantage of the armor is that you can just hold down the 's' key during a single fight until all your crew light up with a dodge skill++ event.  No worries about someone's head being bashed in by a lucky swing.  And no worries about the cops arriving since it is just one fight.

If they really suck at dodging you'll end up with bruises on the arms and legs even through heavy armor, but they'll learn quickly.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 11:26:08 am »

They can train medical skills back at base, generally a great way to train.

tn5421

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGUS + WIFOM = Fail
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr (PARTIALLY NSFW)
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »

I'm having my founder train her sneak by repeatedly robbing apartment buildings and the Cable Building.
[21:23:48] <GhostFrog> bdsm is always more fun with a restraining order
[9:00:59 PM] kingdomacesbeta: Actually knowing what you're doing is overrated.

Mafia Dossier: MafiaScum Wiki - tn5421

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »

I'm having my founder train her sneak by repeatedly robbing apartment buildings and the Cable Building.
Remember that soldiers live in the apartments.  And take their assault rifles home with them...
Pages: [1] 2