Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Request: mac/linux for v.4  (Read 2772 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Request: mac/linux for v.4
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:43:31 pm »

Hey everyone

It has been ages since I had the pleasure of uploading an official mac/linux port. I think now, before dfhack r4 and DF2014, it would a good time to do this. I saw several older ports flying around, but one or two features always caused some trouble. But I think even without these (poisons and weapon runes) it would be great to have the mod for more OS. If anyone knows how todo this, get a little pack with the mod, dfhack and therapist together, I'd gladly update the release post and add them. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request: mac/linux for v.4
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »

I have a working version of 4e on linux, with everything working except digging invaders (module won't load, and I couldn't find the source to compile myself) and the weird linux one bar equals 150 bars thing (dunno how to fix that one).  Everything else appears to work, and crashes are very rare now.

I do not have an updated therapist - looks like it needs qt5 to compile, and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to load that on my gentoo box yet.  I'm using jellsprout's 3a3 version, with the newest published grids from some time back, which works fine.

Isoworld does not work in my wine, and haven't tried soundsense in a while ... I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.  The new settings.exe is supposed to work once I figger out how to load net 4.0 in my wine, but haven't done that yet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 02:53:11 am »

Sound good. :) Couldnt a mass replacement of :150: to :1: fix the bars?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:20:02 am »

Net 4.0 is actually a rather big problem. You need a rather new Version of Wine for It to work. The current stable wine in gentoo works fine, but I think there might be Issues with other, older distros not using a rolling release system.

The other Problem is, that you need a 32-bit wineprefix, which is annoying.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17886

"razing Invaders" and the combat log thing ist greyed out :/.
also, TTF is broken.

I had issued with the embark command a few versions before, but I haven't used it in this ver yet.

I am unsure about this, but I think the bar thing exists in vanilla aswell and is NOT a raw issue

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »

Oh, cool, figgered out qt5, now I have an updated Therapist for linux.

Hrm, I dunno - the string ":150:" appears in a lot of reactions, most of which seem to work.  This is in reaction_masterwork.txt:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:ELF]^M
        [NAME:for the treehuggers]^M
        [BUILDING:ELF:CUSTOM_ALT_C]^M
(other stuff here)
YESSTORAGE[PRODUCT:100:10:BAR:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:LIBRARY_CRATE:SOAP]YESSTORAGE[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]^M
(lots of crates here)

and this:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CRATE_LIBARY]^M
        [NAME:Open crate of library supplies]^M
        [BUILDING:STORAGE:NONE]^M
        [REAGENT:A:1:BAR:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:LIBRARY_CRATE:SOAP][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:3:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_JUG:INORGANIC:GRANITE]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:3:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GRAPHITE]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:3:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_GLUE:INORGANIC:BLANK_LIBRARY]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:3:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_QUILL:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:CLEANED_FEATHER]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:4:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PAPER:INORGANIC:BLANK_LIBRARY]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:4:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_VELLUM:INORGANIC:BLANK_LIBRARY]^M
        [PRODUCT:100:4:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_PAPYRUS:INORGANIC:BLANK_LIBRARY]^M
[PRODUCT:0:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ANNOUNCEMENT_CRATEOPEN]^M
        [AUTOMATIC]^M

I'm guessing it's one of those 100 or 150s - will try to test.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »

One potential solution to this isn't to have native linux/mac ports, but instead to provide PlayOnMac and PlayOnLinux recipes which handle the configuration and environment. This means we don't have to to maintain separate branches of masterwork for different architectures, and means we don't have to worry about whatever different bugs exist in the vanilla Mac/Linux DF engines. It also means that Mac and Linux have new Masterwork releases immediately, since they're using the same core masterwork distribution as everyone else.

PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac solves the problem of having to know how to configure your wine and wineprefix (it does that for you), needing a different wine version than what's on your system (because it downloads it for you), and generally makes your life wonderful.

On Linux, I can personally attest to wine 1.2.3 working perfectly with Masterwork DF, DFHack r3 and r4, and Dwarf Therapist. Stonesense sometimes crashes if I resize it, but I don't know if that's a wine-only thing or if it happens on native windows. I can attest to wine 1.7.7 with dotnet40 installed via winetricks working with the settings program. Between them, one has a fully functional Masterwork experience.

On Mac, I can also attest to wine 1.2.3 working fine with the core, and whatever recent version I had working with the old settings program. I have no reason to believe why wine 1.7.7 + dotnet40 wouldn't work on a Mac for the new settings program.

~ T

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

Is there source code for the gui available online any where ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »

Yes, see splinterz github for the newest version. Ask him, maybe he did any updates that are not online yet. But its all there. :)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:17:50 pm »

Is there source code for the gui available online any where ?

As per Meph's mention, here is splinterz' github repo, the "Settings Source" directory is what you're after. If you're not a git person, you can download the whole repo from here.

~ T

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:39 pm »

When I last worked on the port, there were both slag bars created from normal smelting reactions and slag tools created from custom reactions. If you use a quantity of 1, the former don't work anymore (you need 150 reactions to get rid of one slag bar), while if you set the quantity to 150 the later doesn't work anymore (you need 150 tool slag bars to run the reaction once). I soft fixed this adding two sets of reactions: one with quantity set to 1 and one with quantity set to 150.
I also needed to edit the quantities for the crate reactions, but because all crates are produced through custom reactions these could all simply be set to 150. I think there were also rune reactions, but I don't think they exist anymore.

I am wondering what you've done to fix the growth bug. Last time I checked, fixgrowth.rb causes Linux versions of DF to crash.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »

Using hack/ruby/ruby-autogen.rb from the linux dfhack package, instead of the one that comes with MW, seems to not crash when using fixgrowth (or waterwheels).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 03:24:41 pm »

So what exactly stands in the way of a linux port of the current version? (without gui of course)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »

So what exactly stands in the way of a linux port of the current version? (without gui of course)

As far as I'm concerned what's standing in the way are bug-compatible versions of all the major software. The DF engine for Linux has different bugs from Windows, so something which works in Windows may be buggy in Linux, and vice-versa. I know there's been mention of DFHack differences between platforms. I haven't checked to see what the status of Therapist is on Linux.

If you're after a PlayOnLinux solution (which is seriously what I'd recommend), then that's just a Simple Matter Of Code; we write a recipe for POL and make it available. Users are spared all the futzing around with wine because POL does that for them.

I don't know anyone who plays native DF (even vanilla), simply because it has different bugs than Windows, and not all of which have easy workarounds (eg: all the quantities being messed up in various ways).

~ T

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:28 am »

I play MDF native on linux. Just no mod manager and all those other tools. Therapist and dfhack work fine. The only problems, I can think of atm are digginInvaders, TTF and the 'embark' command.

I really dislike the whole wine thing. Yes wine is absolutely spectacular when trying to use Windows Software. But we have a native release of DF, DFHack and DFTherapist and that are the most important things

adanos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 05:01:54 am »

hello guys, i am just a linux's beginner. Can You prepare a complete guide how to run 4e version on linux os? [i own elementary os 64bit]
Pages: [1] 2