Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What mods are you planning for the new version?  (Read 2592 times)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What mods are you planning for the new version?
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:13:51 pm »

I'm planning to give kobolds lizard tails, add more adventure mode crafting reactions, re-add the removed words and add missing words for things, improve the language grammar issues* as much as working in the raws allows, as much as working with the raws allows, and (if it's possible and makes sense) add genitalia to most creatures required to reproduce. That last one is mostly just so I can end my civilization's king's lineage by wrestling it off. Childish maybe, but that don't bother me a bit. :3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What mods are you planning for the new version?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:49:01 pm »

I already have a couple released.

A tree that drops fruit that are on fire and a bunch of martial arts moves from the DBZ mod ported over to the next version.

Also, the first one is totes possible, grammar issues not really fixable, genits can't be made to have effects on reproduction (in fact, reproduction isn't changing at all in the next version).

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »

Huh. I thought I could work it in with the general inheritance/succession stuff. Aren't nobles going to reproduce in the coming version? Oh well. I'll just stick to beating people to death with their six year old's arm. -.-

The grammar part was mostly just changes in the language_words file, with adding new forms for plurals and cases  and trying to limit nonsensical combinations. The new forms would be the longest part, though, since the best way I can find so far involves a LOT of rewriting. Instead of:

[WORD:ABBEY]
   [NOUN:abbey:abbeys]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [REAR_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [THE_NOUN_SING]
      [REAR_COMPOUND_NOUN_PLUR]
      [OF_NOUN_PLUR]

I'd have to make it:
   [NOUN:abbey:abbey]

[NOUN:abbeys:abbeys]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_NOUN_PLUR]

and go on with it until it all worked out right and the game properly generated "the picks of steel" as "hatekkud deleri" or whatever, or until I went mad from the sheer effort for such little gain. It'll probably require a strange mood not to quit halfway through....

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »

Nobles reproduce in the current version. There are no changes to reproduction. The changes are in succession, what happens when a noble dies. No changes in birth, mostly just death.

Also, you'll want to change the second ABBEY to something else if you don't want dupe raws.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:31 pm »

I already have a couple released.

...how?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »

Gotcha. I'm not very experienced with modding yet tbh. I'm still just playing around with raws and trying to make something work. Only just recently learned what happens if you try modding elves out. I meant to change the second Abbey to Abbeys. My bad. :)

Hey, you would know. I'm also kinda thinking about trying to make an evil tundra fort within the first decade or so of worldgen. Its theme is going to be mad !!SCIENCE!! (as in actually burning sciences to death) and technology and stuff. I'd like to make some kind of crude firearm weapon for that one fort, but I don't want NPC forts to use them and I want to mod them out whenever that specific one dies. Is that a currently impossible dream?

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:42:14 pm »

Huh. I thought I could work it in with the general inheritance/succession stuff. Aren't nobles going to reproduce in the coming version? Oh well. I'll just stick to beating people to death with their six year old's arm. -.-

The grammar part was mostly just changes in the language_words file, with adding new forms for plurals and cases  and trying to limit nonsensical combinations. The new forms would be the longest part, though, since the best way I can find so far involves a LOT of rewriting. Instead of:

[NOUN:abbey:abbeys]
      [THE_NOUN_SING]
      [OF_NOUN_PLUR]

I'd have to make it:
   [NOUN:abbey:abbey]

[NOUN:abbeys:abbeys]

and go on with it until it all worked out right and the game properly generated "the picks of steel" as "hatekkud deleri" or whatever, or until I went mad from the sheer effort for such little gain. It'll probably require a strange mood not to quit halfway through....
Danger: Raw duplication. Each WORD tag needs a different name. Something like [WORD:ABBEY_NOUN_SING] and [WORD:ABBEY_NOUN_PLUR] so that the game doesn't do whatever weird stuff it does when top-level tags are the same.

I'd also very much recommend creating some sort of script to break up the various words instead of doing it manually. There's probably ten lines of code that would properly divide each word, assign it a knock-off in each translation, and associate each new word with the same symbols as the old one. With the bonus that if Toady or a modder ever changes up the vocabulary, you've got grammar_fixer.script ready to go to make it kosher.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:33 pm »

I meant to add an -s on the plural ABBEY. 'Twas just an oversight, as I said in my last post. How would I create the script to do it? I'm not a very experienced coder yet, but I'm all up for anything that will save me unnecessary effort. :)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 11:49:19 am »

I could do that...

I need a project, so I'll see what I can do.

Don't expect the first version to be perfect, but I already have a full-up raw parser with script bindings, which should make it easy ;)
I may even be able to make the whole thing work as a Rubble addon (in addition to a standalone version)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:58 pm »

A magical beanstalk that grows overnight and reaches a world in the clouds (Using modded branches to resemble clouds)
A teleport move which would not be overpowered in combat (by only multiplying movement speed, not attack speed)
A 'bullfight' enemy that has lethal charges but poor turning ability, so you'd have to dodge it and attack from behind

...Just some thoughts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:22:34 pm »

Orchards and very complex trees/plants.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:29 am »

Scrap piles with refridgerators, old junk tech, wire etc growing on them for Fallout mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:14 am »

@Uristsonsonson: To clarify, what you want is for the definitions to be split into multiple parts. Do you need 2 parts (singular/plural, where does the verb form go?) or three (singular/plural/verb)?

It would be very helpful if you would give a longer example.
I already have the code written for the first pass (gathering information) now all I need to do is write the second pass (writing the data out).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »

Oh cool! It'd be awesome if you would. I tried it the hard way for about a day and gave up about a tenth or so of the way through. An example of what I had was:

[WORD:ACT_SING_NOM]
   [NOUN:act:act]

[WORD:ACT_SING_NOM DEF]
      [THE_NOUN_SING]

[WORD:ACT_PLUR_NOM]
   [NOUN:acts:acts]

[WORD:ACT_PLUR NOM_DEF]
      [THE_NOUN_PLUR]

[WORD:ACT_GEN_SING]
      [OF_NOUN_SING]

[WORD:ACT_GEN_PLUR]
      [OF_NOUN_PLUR]

[WORD:ACT_VERB]
   [VERB:act:acts:acted:acted:acting]
      [STANDARD_VERB]

I was trying to break everything out, add forms in all of the racial languages with some crude declension charts I made up, testing things out in the adventure mode name creator (had to remove a lot of genitive forms to keep it making sense) and alphabetize all the language raws at the same time. It seems like I bit off almost too much to spit out. I'd be grateful if you could automate at least part of that. :)

Btw how are you doing it? Are you making a batch script or a Java program? How does it work?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:43:06 pm by Uristsonsonson »
Pages: [1] 2 3