Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best of the Best  (Read 6625 times)

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
Best of the Best
« on: August 04, 2001, 04:21:00 pm »

We should have a contest to see who can kill the most things in the new Armok version!

A couple quick questions: will there be any way to heal at all in the next release??  Will there be a save feature and/or will there be any score besides how many attacks you preform?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Best of the Best
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2001, 11:35:00 pm »

Hey.  I'm at my brother's place on vacation, but you know I can't resist typing (some sketchy grammar for brevity's sake):

Cool -- all for it, can post bragging posts here, or maybe something more official?  The very first release might not be the best, but back when I started the page I did releases Way more often.  This one if it fits, or definitely the next.

Saving not quite ready -- and not much use since you all will get wasted quickly :p

Scoring wasn't priority yet since would change w/ each scoreable action added anyway (maybe in complex ways), might throw up more stats though and let you guys determine who rocks the most.  And since I already have a score list, I might use those stats in arbitrary ways to assign scores now, although your formula is as good as mine here.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2001, 08:33:00 pm »

Perhaps we should add a little feature to export the High scores in an encrypted way..
and you guys can send us your high scores..
and then we can stick the compiled high score lists on the web page??

What do you think of that?

(this is still a ways off.. but an idea!)

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • From a time before a time before time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 07:43:00 am »

That would be perfect!  That is when you have a really good scoring formula.  Add it!!  :mad:  
I think scoring should be based on how powerful the creatures you killed were.  I doubt that'd be very difficult.  Just compair the sum of their applicable stats to yours.  If they are say 15% better then you get 1.15 points.  It sounds easy at least...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 09:21:00 am »

It's hard to tell when a creature has been killed and by who, you don't have to kill an opponent to defeat it, and it's hard to say when an opponent has been defeated (it depends on your goals).  You don't get XP for killing things; you get skills by using them, including combat skills.  A creature could be mangled unconscious on the ground, and the player wouldn't know whether it's dead or alive without inspection, but that doesn't change the fact that the player was fully victorious.  I don't want to encourage people to hack up every half-living body they find to get points (although some might do it anyway!)

On the other hand, tracking player kills/defeats is fairly important.

Also, that scoring system would be temporary.  Ideally, when the game comes along, the player should be able to get a high score with ever committing an overtly violent act.

Hmmm....  one possible method would be to add up all of the skill gains that your player has made.  This would make sense from the sense of character building and is somewhat sensible in combat turns (since you gain many skills while fighting).  The problem is that it doesn't account for risk (a character that bakes bread the entire game would have a high score -- this isn't necessarily bad).  If we want to account for risk, then we can just say that skill points gained in adverse situations are worth 2/5/10 times as much, or whatever the risk factor is.

In the end, by its very nature, assigning a score is making a value judgement on certain types of game behaviors.  A lot of people prefer hack-n-slash, so a score based on kills/combat would make sense there.  However, that would shut out people playing for other reasons (once the game is more complicated -- right now, there are no other reasons :) )

In the end, I might have something like "Armok's Hall of Blood" (for warriors), "Armok's Hall of Infamy" (for criminals/evildoers, etc.  Because the types of gameplay can be so diverse, there is no sense in comparing them -- 4 or 5 such Halls would probably be sufficient.  Maybe that works.

For now, I'll just keep the Hall of Blood that is already in (scoring is now based on the number of hits you score -- I'll change that a bit...  probably defeats + skill gains).

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!