Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The fortress of nobles succession fort  (Read 5990 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
The fortress of nobles succession fort
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:48:01 pm »

Hello fellow dwarf fortressites!

Welcome to my idea for a new fortress.  As you may have noticed from the title, we are going to be playing as the nobles.  That's right: those guys who all of you hate.

The rules:
1. All of the initial 7 must be nobles.  The nobles we are going to start with are: expedition leader, broker, manager, bookkeeper, hammerer, sheriff, and militia commander.  The chief medical dwarf can be picked up later.
2. Anybody requesting a turn must have a dwarf in a position of nobility.  If needed, we can make you a militia captain.
3. Anybody who wants dorfing as a reader can be noble or not, as they choose.  Journals, while not required, help with the development of the story.
4. All nobles must have the best accommodations available.  If we can't mod in new noble types, then anyone who is legendary in a skill is considered a noble who can still work, and must be treated accordingly.
5. NO UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENTS!
6. A turn is one year, and you have a week to play it.  Once the player before you finishes their turn, you have two days to respond saying that you are ready to take your turn or the turn will skip you.

If anyone has any suggestions on other noble types to add, I'll add them.

Turn list: active skipped pending active waiting listdone
1. 4maskwolf
2. Grimmash
3. Urist McAxedwarf
4. Gnorm
5.Proto105

Dwarf list:
Starting dwarfs:
Expedition leader: Grimmelsworth (Grimmash)
Broker: Dulhem (4maskwolf)
Bookkeeper: Balien (Gaellan)
Manager: Gnorm (Gnorm)
Hammerer: Hissinh Walnuts (Hissinh Walnuts)
Sheriff: Jamandu (Urist McAxedwarf)
Militia commander: Griffin (Firecrazy)

Other nobles:
Chief Medical Dwarf: Proto (Proto105)
Miner's Guild Representative:
Masons Guild Representative:
Carpenters Guild Representative:
Metalsmiths Guild Representative:
Jewlers Guild Representative:
Craftsdwarfs Guild Representative:
Baron:
Champion:YHVH
Additional Legendaries:

Commoners:
MDFication: miner
Ruhnelli: Cook

Additional Noble Progressions:
Permanent Leader to Permanent Mayor
Broker to Trade Minister to Merchant Prince
Bookkeeper to Treasurer to Hoardmaster
Manager to Work Boss to Guildmaster
Chief Medical Dwarf to Head Physician
Hammerer to Royal Executioner

To be dwarfed:
MDFication
Proto (proto105)
YHVH (YHVH)
Ruhnelli (Ruhn)

Links:
Game introduction by Grimmash
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:05:19 pm by 4maskwolf »

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fortress of nobles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:04 pm »

I'll take Book Keeper, Balien.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The fortress of nobles succession fort
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:02 am »

I think I can handle this... <insert evil grin>.

It's like the opposite of Chamberdrums.  Time to get all petulant and aristocratic.

I'll take expedition leader.  Name is Grimmelsworth.

Edit:  I'll take turn.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:21:07 am »

Journal of Lord Grimmelsworth

Well m'dear journal, I say this so-called fortress is a bit on the common side.  At first I thought I could persuade my fellow lords and ladies to do a thing or two about the lack lavishly prepared meals, the shoddy furniture, the poor architectural quality, and other sundry quibbles I've got about the running of this establishment, but my letters and dinner party suggestions have fallen on deaf beards.  I was a bit despondent, between my meals and my tours of the workshops.  The masons even failed to complete the platinum statue of a cave turtle I asked for!

So after a bit of the old whip-round and a few keen words to dwarves of ways and means, and I've secured us the beginnings of a expedition of sorts.  There's a keen trader, goes by the name of Dulhem, who says he has his eyes on a few locations we might take this expedition to.  He showed me some maps, and there was lots of pointing and talking, mentions of streams and ores and fluxom and hematoads and the like, but I'll just trust the fellow.  Maps were always a bit beyond me, y'see, but I figure a good set of dwarves and the proper backbone should get us started and see us through. 

Some dwarf with some books and scrolls and inks, goes by Balien, volunteered to come with and keeps the odds and ends in order.  Seemed a bit too keen on the numbers and runes, but an eager enough chap, so I say the more the merrier!  I think we have a promising crew shaping up, m'dear journal!  Well, all this writing has left me a bit parched.  I think I'll find my way over to the deplorable dining hall here to see if there's any passable potables while I wait for Dulhem to sort his charts out.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:04:36 am »

I'll take the manager.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:37 am »

I'll take the Militia Commander, Griffin.

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:19 am »

I would love to be Sheriff please. Stand by for backstory;

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 04:09:57 am »

Also, would love a turn.

Extract from Jamandu's diary.

8th Galena

"Well I'm glad to be out of there.
Everything went to hell after that Troglodyte came in from the caves, by the time I got to it the broker, a grower and her son were mortally wounded. A few well placed bolts saw off the Trog and as it skulked back to the newly opened caverns I began hauling the injured civilians back to the infirmary. I warned them, I bloody well warned them, but would they listen to Crazy old Jamandu?! Not a chance. The foolish young overseer opened up a passage into the biggest cave any of us had ever seen without even a fleeting thought for our security. So when the Trogs, the cave bears and trolls started wandering up our moronically placed fortress nothing stood between us but Me and my trusty pooch Sodellelum. I'll never forgive the overseer for his death.

Anyway things started going even MORE mad after that until one night we heard an unholy roar, like nothing I have ever heard before come from down the passageway towards to cavern. Alarm bells were rung but I was not about to stay around to find out exactly why. I bolted for the gate and barred it behind me with whatever I could find then ran for the hills. Now I sit on a hill, the fortress is in the distance, the screams have stopped now, it is eerily quiet, almost peaceful. Now to figure out where I am going...
"

So yeah, I would love to be the sheriff and have a turn. My skills I think should be competent marksdwarf, Novice dodger and adequate ambusher along with some social skills if poss.

Obviously it is not my call at all but if that is OK that would be great

:)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »

It's great to see so many people signing up!  I thought that a nobles game would get little to no interest.

Anyway, I was thinking of modding in a noble for the legendaries, appointed by the expedition leader/mayor, who would act as guild representatives, maybe making the occasional demand.  What say you all?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:11:09 pm »

Go for it!  Also, could you mod in a second expedition leader slot, and give me that one?  I don't want to get de-noble'd by election.  That simply isn't the done thing at this fortress.  It is all well and fine to have the peasants vote for useless positions, but the founder cannot be replaced on a whim of those without socks for four feet!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:45 pm »

Sure thing.  I'll make a mayor slot that can be appointed as well.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:49 pm »

Can I be dwarfed as a miner?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 10:50:26 pm »

You mean later?  Sure.  Or you could be one of the minor nobles who is also a miner.  Either works.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »

Perhaps you could make the noble positions promote to those from the days of 23a. For example, the bookkeeper eventually becomes the treasurer, then the hoardmaster. By the by, you forgot to make me manager.

EDIT: I'd also like a turn.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:58:07 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

Derp-de-derp
Thanks for notifying me.
And that shouldn't be too hard, thanks for the suggestion.  And Grimmash, I have set a pair of appointed nobles that have most of the powers of the expedition leader/mayor, minus having to deal with those whining peasants.  Also, the normal expedition leader/mayor no longer meets diplomats, that's your job.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5