Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 150581 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Closed Beta
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:45 pm »

Played a few matches on my friends account and had fun. Just got my beta notification in my inbox, so I'm hoping to install it at least tonight. Not sure when I'll get a chance to play in the next few days, but I'm looking forward to it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 02:26:37 am »

The thing that bugs me the most right now is how basically the only half decent rewards are through arena.  I can pay 100 gold for the chance of a card I want, or I can pay 150 gold for five cards plus an extra reward.

Except when I play arena I only get the most unbelievably fucked up decks.  I just picked mage and got 4 spells, total.  No fireball, no pyroblast.  Also sometimes I'm winning and then things catastrophically turn around before the other guy got Ysera in his draft and I didn't.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:28:49 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:17 am »

Would love a beta key for Hearthstone. It is MtG noob, but that's why I want to play it. There's always going to be some imbalance, but not like MtG. All inclusive from the word go, with the cards and mechanics available to everyone. I'd even probably booster pack it for $10, because I know it's not cheating, it's laziness.

MtG Online? PtW (just like the card game).
DotP? Something everyone would buy if 2012/2013/2014 could all compete against each other, even with varying interfaces. Hell, I'd buy it at AAA price if it was legacy-able in MP (it sort of is in SP with mods).

MtG *is* a better card game, DotP *is* MtG-light, but I think Hearthstone blows them both away on their currently fresh model. In ten years? MtG will still be played, regardless of format or "lightness". I doubt Hearthstone is Blizzard's new Diablo 2.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:48:26 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:26 pm »

Did anyone know that having four Eviscerates and three Backstabs in Arena is hilarious? Because it totally is.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 04:55:43 am »

I just got my beta key a couple of days ago. (Well, I actually got it last month, but it sat lonely in my inbox until I randomly decided to see if I missed it. :-[ )
I found it surprisingly fun. I've unlocked all the decks so far and won about 3 or 4 of the 6 casual games I've played. Haven't tried Arena yet, though.
The rogue deck has been my favorite to play with so far. I can't wait until my friend gets his beta key so we can play with each other.
Or... actually no, fuck that, he told me he's 100% going to play Mage or Priest because they seem the most like the decks he play in MTG.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 12:05:40 pm »

I have no idea how you actually play with a friend in this game. Granted, I haven't really tried, but I also haven't seen anything obvious. Do you just challenge them somehow? Does it count as casual or ranked?

I'd love to see some sort of team play introduced at some point so you could play co-cooperatively with a friend. That'd be fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 12:30:53 pm »

In my opinion no one that played magic, would compare it to HS and say HS is better, not in a single way. Its like comparing dwarf fortress with farmvile. And saying HS is more refined than magic, when cards/heroes need to be balanced every patch with a card number bastly inferior. Yes its easy to pick up and play, yes anyone can build a half-decent deck and yes the game its good. I still think its a little bit way too simple and shallow to even compare to magic, play a few dozen matches and you will probably be already bored, at least that was my case.

I don't know if complexity is always a better thing. After a while the complexities new editions of magic cards added often felt like added bloat or new gimmicks to sell more cards than they did elements that made the game better. I haven't played magic in a long time, but I do remember that it was often unbalanced just because of the sheer amount of cards they pumped out. You can't "patch" a physical game, the best you can do is make house rules. There was always that one guy who spent way more money than anyone else buying singles to get a deck created from all of the most broken card combos he could lay his hands on.

I'm not trying to say Hearthstone is better than magic or anything, I loved magic back when I played it, just wanted to point out that it suffers from balance issues just as much as Hearthstone does.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

I just went 12-1 on my Rogue run! Proof:

http://iforce.co.nz/i/i3c5rqf1.wzu.png
http://iforce.co.nz/i/afmmtjah.ogw.png

That is... a lot of value, if I do say so myself.

I think my play was helped out a lot by a guide by vivafringe and his streams. He actually does a lot of mental calculations while playing, which has really helped me get all of that stuff down when I actually play myself. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:52:44 pm by Un67 »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:01 pm »

So I went 6-3 in my first arena run, mostly thanks to having King Krush and three Kill Commands. Gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun, especially when I throw 7/7 taunt tigers at people on turn 6 and it takes them a moment to register just how nutty that is.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 07:28:58 pm »

So far I'm having good luck in regular play but horrible luck in the Arena. Not really sure why, since the arena decks I get seem to be decent. Although other people's decks often have cards much more powerful than anything I've been offered, so maybe it's just the RNG against me.
Come play Mafia with us!

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »

finally got my beta key!!

should i be spending gold on packs? or saving them for something else?

edit: wow that's a very interesting guide.

I'll have to test what he says about 2 drops because I figured using your hero ability as much as possible was the best way to accrue an advantage.

but i have been noticing that opposing 2/3 and 3/2 were getting pretty annoying
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:38:07 pm by Unusedname »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »

finally got my beta key!!

should i be spending gold on packs? or saving them for something else?

You can either pay for 100 for packs or 150 for the Arena. The Arena is a better investment if you can actually win some games, otherwise you're better off spending the money on packs directly.
Come play Mafia with us!

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 07:44:50 pm »

Always pay the 150 for Arena. Once you can regularly get at least two or three wins, you make the difference between the pack cost and the Arena cost, once you get to seven, then you start making enough to play the Arena again. Also the 2-drop advice thing is really good, because if you just use your Hero ability you tend to affect the battlefield very little and effectively pass the turn. Having a drop, even if it happens to be a bad one, will put more pressure on the opponent.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »

So I went 6-3 in my first arena run, mostly thanks to having King Krush and three Kill Commands. Gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun, especially when I throw 7/7 taunt tigers at people on turn 6 and it takes them a moment to register just how nutty that is.
Apparently, this was a lucky draft indeed. Next 2 Hunter Arena runs went 2-3 and 3-3 - the first one was due to horrible drafting (grabbed Ancient Watcher and Angry Chicken like a dumbass), the second was due to the RNG never giving me my fuckin' beasts. What? All you want is a 2-mana crocolisk, of which you have several to match your 3 Houndmasters? Fuck you, have a Loot Hoarder. And when that loot hoarder dies, fuck you again and have that acidic slime thing.

Anyways, I've not got enough gold to run Arena again, so it looks like it's back to constructed. Yay, maybe I can fill my deck with enough beasts that it's literally impossible for the RNG to not give me one. >_>
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »

So I just got my beta key last night, and somehow went 11-3 on my first arena run via smothering opponents in 3-drops (seriously, I had like 8 3-cost creatures) with a couple of heavy hitters late game. Afterwards, not so great, then went 4-3 because I misclicked a damage ability on my own minion instead of an opponents, and then 0-3, which I guess is karma coming back around from the first one.

Overall it's pretty fun, I'm just going through arena runs with different classes and just trying stuff out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 109