Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152342 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Closed Beta
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 11:42:21 pm »

I was in master 3 pre-wipe, but I'm clawing my way back up through the ladder with a warlock murloc aggression deck with great speed. Good to see other people play this game on Bay12.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »

Anyways, I've not got enough gold to run Arena again, so it looks like it's back to constructed. Yay, maybe I can fill my deck with enough beasts that it's literally impossible for the RNG to not give me one. >_>
The saga of RNG-fuckery continues. This time, I managed to daily-quest my way up to enough gold for another Arena run, and drafted a nasty Priest deck. Three Northshire Clerics, two Mind Controls, silence, removal and taunts out the ass. I only managed 4-3 with it because I kept getting Shadow Word Death, Cairn Bloodhoof and those Mind Controls in my starting hand instead of one of my dozen 1-mana cards. Or heck, even one of the many 2-mana cards would have worked, but no. No, that would make too much sense, and not expose me to the nature of the fickle-ass RNG.

Also, Stormwind Champion turns Paladins from pains in the ass to a full-on hemorrhage. 2/2s fuckin' everywhere.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 10:11:42 pm »

So i've been playing a couple arenas... i understand the pain of RNG
but the worst pain is realizing you could have had the win but you wiffed it.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2013, 11:56:29 pm »

So i've been playing a couple arenas... i understand the pain of RNG
but the worst pain is realizing you could have had the win but you wiffed it.
For some reason I don't think there's any way I could have won this, and it's just aggravating as fuck to know that's even possible.

The game's fun, don't get me wrong, but Blizzard's going to have to do some serious tempering of their RNG (or the cards) to prevent BS like that if they want to keep players around. I mean, I'm 1-2 in an arena right now - one loss was to a rogue who honestly out-strategy'd me. That, I'm OK with. Priest bullshit-buffing an unkillable giant? Not so ok with that.

Edit: Went 1-3 thanks to a Paladin pulling an early Blessing of Kings on a panther and then not drawing any of my early taunt (except for an Abomination which just got eaten by a Truesilver Champion). I think I'm done with Hearthstone for now; it's fun, but between the RNG fuckery and putting the Arena behind a pay-or-3-hours-of-boring-structured wall, it's just not worth my time right now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:17:12 am by TherosPherae »
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 12:23:14 am »

That's pretty standard and also the kind of trick that completely blows your momentum if it just gets removed.  Have a way of one-card killing stuff like that, you're gonna see it again.

I dunno if they've finally done something about mages but they're the real issue.  Something like 6 or 8 different freezes, most of them aoe, a shit ton of control, and with priests nerfed they've brought back the giants and alextrasza.  They hold you off with their board control until they can drop Alextrasza and put you at 15 HP where they can burst you down with fireballs and pyroblasts.  gg
Shoes...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 08:32:38 am »

I want to like this game so much but the rate free players get cards at seems glacial. Does it improve later?

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 08:34:54 am »

I want to like this game so much but the rate free players get cards at seems glacial. Does it improve later?

The rate its not that bad imo, it just depends on how eager you are (the more the worse) i usually just play to do daily quests and arenas when posible. If you want to grind not doing quests then it is painfully slow.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 12:04:02 pm »

Once you get to the point where you can reliable get seven wins in the Arena, it isn't nearly so bad, because then you will win enough gold to take another shot. I haven't payed any real money at all and I'm working through the collection at a pretty good pace. For arena, I would again really recommend looking at this guide and this. and maybe watching some streams. I think trying to "play along" with the streams really helps you figure out what kind of plays you need to do. vivafringe's streams are really good for that.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »

Have a way of one-card killing stuff like that, you're gonna see it again.
See, I was about to ask what the fuck kind of cards Druid's supposed to have for 1-shotting that stuff, then I remembered that I refused to draft a Naturalize and slapped myself. Guess my strategy just needs work.

3 divine spirits and an inner fire in arena is still bullshit though

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 09:31:30 pm »

The rate its not that bad imo, it just depends on how eager you are (the more the worse) i usually just play to do daily quests and arenas when posible. If you want to grind not doing quests then it is painfully slow.

Really seems like I'm just pushing too hard then. Thanks!

Once you get to the point where you can reliable get seven wins in the Arena, it isn't nearly so bad, because then you will win enough gold to take another shot. I haven't payed any real money at all and I'm working through the collection at a pretty good pace. For arena, I would again really recommend looking at this guide and this. and maybe watching some streams. I think trying to "play along" with the streams really helps you figure out what kind of plays you need to do. vivafringe's streams are really good for that.

Might be worth giving arena a shot eventually then.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 05:31:34 am »

So for those of you fellow MTG players I've learned some things that were counter-intuitive to me.

Cult Master - This does not protect you from board wipes. (and from the other side) You do not need to silence cult master before you wipe the board.

Druid of the Claw - If you return this to your hand it is stuck in whatever mode you've chosen. I assume the same is true for Ancient of War.

Tokens - These can be returned to your hand! They do not instantly die and they do have their own crystal cost.

Alarm-o-bot - I know this is already accepted as a bad pick and not to be touched in arena, but after using it I've learned that the Minion you switch in does not have it's battlecry activated. And also the minion does not receive charge (I was kind of hoping it would.)

Hopefully some of these help you. The Cult Master thing I've actually run into a couple times the others are a pretty rare occurrence.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 06:42:38 am »

Also silencing druid of the claw does not change it back into its original state. These transformations are not treated as status effects, but rather unique minions.
Any just in case it wasn't clear to new players, the coin is a spell, so counter-spell, mana addict, wild pyromancer, all that stuff is affected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2013, 12:23:07 pm »

Huh. Thanks, Unusedname, those are all very good to know.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:53 pm »

So I took Cthulhu's "advice" into account and started playing an asshole Mage in Arena. It's a pretty removal-heavy deck, with a few critters here and there for various purposes, and Archmage Antonidas to let me stomp on everything with fireballs. (It's especially fun to throw out a Sorcerer's Apprentice on the turn after Antonidas and then throw out a free Arcane Missiles to get a Fireball.) Right now, I'm 4-1 and taking a break so I don't get cocky, especially since one of those wins was due to pulling a lucky Blizzard right after my less-fortunate opponent played a ton of 2-health creatures.

But you know Mage is OP when even I can pull off a Mage deck.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:52 am »

Anybody else tried using ancient mages + stealth minions with a removal heavy deck?
When you manage to get two worgen infiltrators with spell power and a hand full of druid removal you are going to have a fun time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 109