Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152417 times)

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Closed Beta
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:05 am »

Thank you glorious glorious bloodlust.

I was getting beat down by a paladin in arena, he would have had lethal on me the turn after most likely but he had not bothered to kill off my totems so a bloodlust combined with some windfury and bam! Glorious glorious bloodlust turned a sure defeat into a win :D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:39:10 am by Aptus »

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 11:10:24 pm »

Anybody else tried using ancient mages + stealth minions with a removal heavy deck?
When you manage to get two worgen infiltrators with spell power and a hand full of druid removal you are going to have a fun time.

I wanted to make a deck like this in rogue using conceal and master of disguise. Maybe on a hogger (Spits out 2/2 taunt every turn) or malygos (+5 spell damage).

Fan of knives suddenly becomes a Flamestrike with draw a card for 3.

Shiv becomes starfire for 2.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:09 pm »

Rogue sounds like it would work pretty well! I was adding magic damage to stealth creatures, but adding stealth to magic damage creatures never occurred to me... I normally like druid removal, but rogue has a good degree of interesting spells. Malygos + moonfire is magical.

I was also thinking of using the ancient mages + stealth creatures in a mage deck, then running counter spells and spell benders, along with as much early removal I can find and a malygos + 2 pyroblasts for the finish, and maybe something else big as a back up plan. Right now the stealth magic druid deck is a little too susceptible to board clear, so I figure the mage traps should help.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 01:31:06 am »

That's what I noticed too all the generic stealth minions have such low health. Maybe a Young Priestess/Shattered Sun Cleric/Defender of Argus would help you protect your Worgen at least, make him have a health value that won't die to every aoe.

But that doesn't really sound very efficient.

I really hope they add new cards in high frequency. Because sometimes ideas like this are just missing one or two cards that really make them strong.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 01:38:33 am »

Stranglethorn Tiger is pretty healthy, at least enough to easily withstand most board clears. The problem is the huge cost. Getting two out is 10 mana, and that is going to consume a lot of momentum.

Anyway I have tried with the warlock, and using two blood imps will keep them at 2 hp each, be nice low cost, and provide a great buff to other minions, but be a consecrate magnet. Frankly I didn't have the HP to tank the hits and lifetap while setting up.

Also I need to try Ragnaros + Master of Disguise.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 01:52:53 am »

Haha I was thinking of that too but someone on the G.D. forums pointed out that stealth breaks when a unit deals damage. So rag wouldn't work.

Amusing tidbit, Imp Master will also unstealth herself at the end of your turn by doing damage to herself.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 01:58:06 am »

That is so annoying... I guess not much use to stealth a knife juggler either then.
All the good synergies don't real.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 02:25:31 am »

That is so annoying... I guess not much use to stealth a knife juggler either then.
All the good synergies don't real.
Yeah, I tried that just now with a Master of Disguise. It gives him the stealth for a fraction of a second, then he unstealths himself immediately by throwing a knife. Too bad.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:26 am »

Eh, I guess it is for the best, or rogues would become too popular. Stealth creatures with cool effects are a pain when it is just +1 health, letting them damage things would be going too far.
Anybody watch Trump play? If you ever wanted to see a man cry because a single play was just so perfect, this is your chance. Also he teaches you why all the cards you like are crap in arena, and all the cards you ignored win games.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:48 am »

Welp, it's now in open beta. And it's good. Really, really good.

I'm only at rank 20 after a fair few games, have only tried 2 classes (mage and shaman), but I think I'm addicted already. Shaman taunt wall shennanigans are fun, even if it is a win big/lose big thing. I've managed to scrape back a few victories from "losing" positions.

Anyway, give it a go. I'll probably drop $20 or so on the game, just due to laziness. It's one of the few ccg's that aren't p2w. At least in the bottom brackets. But I'm having fun and the basic set isn't exactly weak, which is a mark of a good card game.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 10:30:02 am »

Anyway, on initial thoughts on the game, I'm undecided about the tutorial system. It's good, but not great, but it was very unhelpful to someone like me. I've spent the last couple of months watching totalbiscuit's and forceSC2strategy's gameplay vids on youTube, so it was a bit laborious to me. I already understood the fundamentals, have an idea of board control, win conditions, etc. But to a total newbie to this or other ccg's, it might be handy as a primer. Or not.

The initial unlock of characters and 2 basic sets of cards got done in 1 play session, so no problems there. 3 or so packs unlocked, without me ever coming up against an opponent that had "lol, I WIN!" cards. Actually, some of my opponents probably thought that about me, and my decks are 90% or more basic cards (all basic unlocks afaik, my decks actually are starting to feel weaker now that I've tried to mix other stuff in).

Quickish ranked match queues, within 30-45secs of initiating one.

And the best part? No actual chat system. It's fucking amazing.

Thank-you Blizzard. I can finally forgive you for Diablo 3.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:37:48 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:24 am »

Yeah, I played a little bit and enjoyed it.

It still has a pretty high level of luck, in that you're top-decking fairly soon (i.e. you only have the one card you are drawing with which to do things) which limits the number of choices you can really make, but it's nice to have a persistent deck that you can change over time and adapt.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:12 am »

I don't know. With the initial character (mage), there's some pretty good card-draw right out the gate, and I got an acolyte of pain on my first bloody deck :)

You can and will top-deck, but it depends on your build. I found it really easy to hold back a few situational cards, or ones that would be better used later, with both a mage control/removal/minion deck and a shaman taunt shield/minion buff-up deck. Both pretty low-mana builds. It's not that you can't burn through the cards, it's more of when it's best to do so. Strategically and all that........

As a huge negative to the game, where the hell does it tell you how much gold you have? I'm running in 1280x800, but regardless, that should be front-and-centre at the shop. That's my biggest beef with the game so far. Gold not told. Free, played for, gold.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:08:05 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

Huh, I haven't had that problem. I think bottom-right, or something? Check TB's videos, I'm sure he shows that at some point while entering arena or something.

And yeah, I do that, holding cards thing, especially with the Mage. Those that deal 1 damage to every creature are pretty sweet. They can wipe out a bunch of damaged or weak enemies.

I got a couple of Warrior quests, so played that for a while. It has fewer cards that it makes sense to hold on to, but the one that kills a damaged enemy is a beast :)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:59 am »

you only have the one card you are drawing with which to do things

If you find yourself in this situation a lot it might be useful to get rid of some of your lower mana cost cards and/or add some card draw. I started doing better when I remade my decks to have a better mana curve.

As a huge negative to the game, where the hell does it tell you how much gold you have? I'm running in 1280x800, but regardless, that should be front-and-centre at the shop. That's my biggest beef with the game so far. Gold not told. Free, played for, gold.

It's at the bottom right of the screen, right by the game menu button. Maybe try to see if you can see it in windowed mode at a different resolution?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 109