Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152184 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #630 on: September 03, 2015, 07:39:08 am »

You can get to rank 15 with a basic set deck. Just play enough games. You don't need to stay at 15, just reach it once.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »

Yeah you only need a 50% winrate to be going up in ranks (because you get a bonus for winstreaks but no penalty for loss-streaks).  It should be doable if you're playing a good basic deck a reasonable amount over the course of a month.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »

What about those of us who can't get to rank 15?
You can get to at least rank 10 with a dirt cheap face hunter deck.
Another cheap option is mech mage. Although it does have expensive cards in most builds, it works surprisingly well without.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #633 on: September 04, 2015, 01:09:25 am »

What about those of us who can't get to rank 15?
You can get to at least rank 10 with a dirt cheap face hunter deck.
Another cheap option is mech mage. Although it does have expensive cards in most builds, it works surprisingly well without.
Yeah, but that requires effort.

All I want is the results. Is that so unreasonable?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 09, 2015, 12:36:33 pm »

New tavern brawl. Death rattles trigger twice. I don't like it. I guess it's not totally terrible though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2015, 01:58:32 pm »

Gimmicky but fun. Probably not one of your play all week brawls unless you were hankering for a deathrattle deck anyway, but not bad for a few rounds.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 09, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »

A long while ago, I made a Shaman deck that used Baron Rivendare and Reincarnate to do fun things with deathrattles. This Brawl makes them so much easier. Having 3 Thaddius's on the board is always pretty fun.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:57:47 pm by LASD »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 09, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »

EDIT: Hnngh, quote is not edit.

Well, to make use of this double post I'll ramble about things I've thought about Hearthstone lately. After reading too much of Mark Rosewater's (Magic: The Gathering lead designer) articles, I started wondering if Hearthstone has similar philosophies with classes as Magic has with it's colors. Are there things that certain classes are not allowed to do or things that they do way more than others. And is there an overarching idea about the class reflected on the cards.

I've broken down the Warrior this far and it seems like his idea is this:
The Warrior knows that he fights so recklessly that he's likely to take as much damage as the opponent when he goes in. To make sure that he comes out on top, he buffs himself up beforehand to survive the inevitable reckless charge.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:31:16 pm by LASD »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 09, 2015, 03:34:15 pm »

Basically for the most part each class has one or two gimmicks and those gimmicks are empowered by other cards or they get cards that benefit them while using those gimmicks. They also often have a mini-gimmick that isn't supported but available.

But their monster base is the same.

So... no... Hearthstone doesn't really follow the magic the gathering philosophy... because while the colors certainly have gimmicks... They are overarching ones that flow right into their cards, costs, and what they do.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2015, 06:54:31 am »

Hearthstone also doesn't divide abilities between the classes as strictly because you can't splash colors. If you want damaging spells in Magic, you can splash red. In Hearthstone you can't multi-class so everyone gets damaging spells. Most of the variation is in how often you do something or how you do it exactly - Mage is the damaging spell master, while Priest gets more heals than anyone else. Druid, Warlock, Warrior, Priest, and Hunter all have single minion kill spells but they function very differently.

Right now it's harder to tell how classes are defined because not every class has fully explored the effects it gets. I thought Shaman was supposed to be bad at healing, but TGT comes out and they get a really powerful healing spell. I'm afraid things like this might make the classes less distinct as we pile on hundreds and hundreds more cards, but I'm sure Blizzard has their eye on that.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:16 am »

Yeah. There's vaguely defined flavors, but since cross-classing is really only just coming to be a thing with copying hero powers and spellslinging and everybody getting to be a paladin, it's not really thoroughly fleshed out.
Like penguinofhonor said, Mage gets the most premium spells and awkward play-forcing tools. Thematically, it casts spells which make the boardstate difficult to gain an advantage on for your opponent, and then slowly chips an opponent down until it can finish them with cards like fireball or pyroblast.
Priest has health manipulation tools, high face damage spells, and sneaky stealing everything you do for whatever reason. Thematically, it has high health minions which it plays and then trades and heals in order to get board control as well as taking all of the enemy's stuff from them.
Druid has high quality minions, mana advantage cards, and proactive actions, but horrible reactive action (AoE, single target removal, etc). Thematically, it plays cards which give it extra mana to play expensive, high flexibility cards which allow it to control the board through tempo, until it hits the late game and just overruns the enemy through having a heavier mana curve deck.
Warlock has mediocre class cards except for powerful demons due to having the best hero power by a mile, but has the best board wipe options. Thematically, it abuses its ability to draw cards freely to gain a significant amount of card advantage and overwhelm the opponent with having more cards to throw at them, while slowly killing itself.
Hunter has generally cheap damage, and beast synergy cards. Thematically, it tries to aggressively force unfavorable trades for the opponent by abusing their health pool directly and killing them before you run out of cards to throw at them, while extending later into the game with powerful beasts and beast-support cards.
Warrior has self-healing galore, weapons to encourage hitting stuff with your face, chip damage aoes and charging stuff. Thematically, it armors up and directly face-tanks opponent minions with constant weapons, following up with charging minions into the opponent's face to finish them off, catching up on the board by killing everything together.
Rogue has incredibly efficient cheap removal, returning cards to hand, and insane weapon manipulation tools. Thematically, it plays many cards together to combo them and go from unwinnable board states to unloseable, very rapidly.
Shaman has cards which are insanely powerful in a vacuum but synergize poorly at best, and ridiculous amounts of spell burst. Thematically, it plays incredibly high quality cards ahead of time with overload and gaining tempo which they coast into victory with several unexpected spells doing an absurd amount of damage from hand.
Paladin has token spam, minion buffs, and reactive healing. Thematically, it plays a bunch of small minions and then makes them stronger, while protecting them with spells and hitting opposing minoins, and healing off the damage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 14, 2015, 08:57:44 am »

I am starting to wonder if Hearthstone is canonical to Warcraft...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 14, 2015, 09:06:10 am »

... Probably not. It doesn't even make sense really, it's something like, a card game taking place in a magical traveling inn, however, the explanation for the grand tournament expansion is that it's stuff that's actually happening, so, which one is it? A card game, or actual events? (Rhetorical question)

Ether way it's probably not cannon, although if it was a card game I guess it could be.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:11:20 am by Criptfeind »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:17 am »

Yeah. It's canon in warcraft lore as a cardgame that's played at inns and taverns. So basically we, the players, are warcraft characters who are resting at an inn for whatever reason and play the game to kill time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 14, 2015, 12:41:48 pm »

Yeah. It's canon in warcraft lore as a cardgame that's played at inns and taverns. So basically we, the players, are warcraft characters who are resting at an inn for whatever reason and play the game to kill time.

Well... while that is interesting

I meant that the cards are all real. Like the characters on the cards were people who were alive and lived.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 109