Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152041 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Closed Beta
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:29 pm »

Yeah, mages can be annoying too, especially in arena where you can get more than 2 of each card.

Some big changes, Unleash the Hounds now summons a 1/1 hound with charge for every enemy minion, which seems a little silly.  Mind Control is up to 10 mana because it's no fun if you have to think about when you drop big minions.
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 07:45:27 pm »

Full patch notes for everyone's convenience:

-Removed patch notes, for I think I got the ones from an older patch.

Also, very important: looks like all accounts will wiped, which means you go back to being a new player, in terms of cards
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:39:55 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »

Full patch notes for everyone's convenience:

-Removed patch notes, for I think I got the ones from an older patch.

Also, very important: looks like all accounts will wiped, which means you go back to being a new player, in terms of cards
That was posted 9/26/2013

This wipe already occurred.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »

Got a key from a friend today. Did the tutorial, four online games and an arena run (3 victories). This game is awesome.

My arena run was with a pretty good paladin "Overbuff" deck. The gimmick was "take any minion convenient and stick +4/+4, +1/+1 and +3/+0 until it's 12/7 and the ennemy surrender". Not overly efficient in newbie hands, but it was extremely satisfactory to clear the board with a 8/8, buff it back to 8/7 after it was down to 1hp, summon some more minions, take down the taunt minion from the enemy and get him down to 12hp, then buff the 8/7 to 12/7. Wait three seconds, enjoy the surrender.
How much I would have paid to see the guy's face XD Like "okay, it's okay. I'm not in a good position but he can't kill me this turn. Next one I'm gonna heal and...*+5/+1 on the 8/7*... welp..."
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »

Almost all clases have some kind of destroy creature, maybe even all of them, burning more than one enchant on a creature seems not worth it most of the time IMO.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 03:28:20 pm »

It's newbie arena, so it works :P
Besides, it worked pretty much every time I managed to do a huge creature. Most of the time I get one swing, because the creature previously there wasn't exactly threatening, and then it's a 10/7 windfury clawing your face, and then the opponent wastes all of his creatures or spells to get rid of it.
And behind that I can do it again :P

I didn't have only that, I had also some wide-range buffs, like that one sword giving +1/+1 on summon, or the stormwind captain, that kind of things.

That deck had ALL THE BUFFS, and t was glorious.

But I lost three games and now it's gone :(
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 06:28:50 pm »

Everytime i try to do something fancy with my arena decks they suck, i just try to get tons of creatures with a decen mana curve nowadays :(

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »

Man, I really wish all of the basic cards came unlocked. Seems like unneccesary grind to me. I guess I'll try and pick up the levels in the Arena, which has been a lot fun in spite of getting a mostly awful pick of cards.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »

I signed up for the beta, but just looking at some gameplay videos it honestly just seems like an extremely simplified version of MtG, with some carrot on the stick mechanics thrown in to keep people playing for a long time. Am I wrong?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 01:37:35 am »

I signed up for the beta, but just looking at some gameplay videos it honestly just seems like an extremely simplified version of MtG, with some carrot on the stick mechanics thrown in to keep people playing for a long time. Am I wrong?

It is not as complex as Magic the Gathering.  I would say its quite a bit faster and far far cheaper (free) to actually get into and play.  It is a ton of fun to actually play and there are still really cool decks you can build.  I highly recommend everyone sign up for the beta and give it a shot.  Open Beta starts soon™.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:20 am »

Once again Blizzard proves to be the masters of taking a successful but arcane formula and making it something anyone can enjoy. 

It's true, it's not as complex as MTG but is that really a problem?  I don't know what the fuck is going on in MTG, I don't understand anything.  There's a billion cards and some of them are allowed and some of them aren't and I don't know which, and I don't know the synergies or the deck styles or any of that.

Hearthstone I'm getting in on the ground floor.  I'm already picking up a good grasp of the cards and how they work, learning how to manage tempo and resources and card/board advantage.  MTG presents a pretty big barrier to actually getting seriously into beyond throwing together a goodcards.dek and playing with some friends.
Shoes...

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 03:27:39 am »

I suspect the complexity might rise a little as time goes on, and the team behind Hearthstone experiments with more exotic mechanics.

Probably not that much more though.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 04:41:35 pm »

Really, as a person who tinkers around with MTG decks in magic workshop and watches totalbiscuits lord of the arena videos, I REALLY appreciate how refined this game is. MTG has all sorts of potential for completely game breaking combos, long turns brought on by recurring plays, and the infamous mana screw, whereas this game seems to have more control over such things.

I'm not going to be so bold as to say hearthstone is completely flawless in its balance or tempo, I can see lots of scrutiny aimed at the coin mechanic for example. But I feel it is quite more defined than MTG in its current state and has plenty of potential to develop further in the future.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:47:47 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 05:34:51 pm »

In my opinion no one that played magic, would compare it to HS and say HS is better, not in a single way. Its like comparing dwarf fortress with farmvile. And saying HS is more refined than magic, when cards/heroes need to be balanced every patch with a card number bastly inferior. Yes its easy to pick up and play, yes anyone can build a half-decent deck and yes the game its good. I still think its a little bit way too simple and shallow to even compare to magic, play a few dozen matches and you will probably be already bored, at least that was my case.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 06:22:37 pm »

In my opinion no one that played magic, would compare it to HS and say HS is better, not in a single way. Its like comparing dwarf fortress with farmvile. And saying HS is more refined than magic, when cards/heroes need to be balanced every patch with a card number bastly inferior. Yes its easy to pick up and play, yes anyone can build a half-decent deck and yes the game its good. I still think its a little bit way too simple and shallow to even compare to magic, play a few dozen matches and you will probably be already bored, at least that was my case.

I mean no one is saying magic isn't more complex.  Hearthstone is very well polished for even a beta - far more polished then MTGO I might add.  Yeah the number of cards they have is pretty low - currently.  Magic The Gathering's first printing had 295 different cards; Hearthstone currently has 440 (none of them land).  Also, you can't really complain about them balancing cards...

There are some really cool and fun constructed decks, and the randomness in building an Arena deck and playing against other people is a ton of fun and games go pretty quick.

Also, unlike MTGO, I can play Hearthstone for free.  I'd recommend you give it another shot; but if its not the game for you then its not the game for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 109