Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153517 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Open Beta
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2014, 05:18:18 pm »

Can we talk about how the iOS client is a terrible unoptimized pile of crap? I feel like it should never have been released in this state.

That goes for the PC version as well. Supposedly it's out of beta but it's still buggy as hell.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2014, 08:42:21 pm »

Recently had the saddest match ever. Hunter vs Mage, and we both sort of ran out of cards canceling each other out. So at the end we were just poking each other with our hero powers while hoping for a good card to go directly from our hand to the field.

She eventually won, but only had something like 3-5 life left. And at least one taunt critter, though, so it was a bit closer than it looked.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

I'm  kinda sad this isn't more active :x
I'm Dutchling#2710 is anyone is looking for a fight...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2014, 01:04:17 am »

Little bit of a revive, kinda hating myself for reinstalling hearthstone. Everyone is so goddamn good, legendaries and perfect tourney-quality decks all over the place. What happened to casual being filled with newbies and bad decks? To get 5 wins in my worst classes, it can take me upwards of 4 hours. And then I'll make my 100g and get my 4 commons/1 rare that I have to dust every day for a week.

Its like hell. I just want to see if I can pull the lotto and get a legendary for once, but it never actually happens. I dont even think I'm bad at this game, I've been playing for quite a long time... apparently I'm trash, though.

I just need to give it up and uninstall it for good this time, the game isn't very fun and the addiction is hardly worth the frustration.

edit: apparently casual has ELO. That's pretty shitty, I'm assuming my one good deck boosted my ELO super high and now I'm not allowed to play anything else without going through hell and losing/lowering my ELO for 50 games. Cool, cool, dat game design etc.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:19:50 am by Rex_Nex »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2014, 02:32:25 am »

I still play this every 3 days or so for the quests, since it can make for a nice quick break, but haven't played arena or serious constructed in forever. I haven't paid anything into it or played much but have 5 legendaries (Mukla, Gruul, VanCleef, Velen, and Cenarius), so I think you're either unlucky or I'm really lucky. At the peak of hunter fever I actually got to rank 1 with a unique rogue buff deck (turn 1 argent squire, turn 2 combo'd cold blood on it, gg) that ran nothing but rares and commons (and vacillating between using that VanCleef).

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 03:41:04 am »

edit: apparently casual has ELO. That's pretty shitty, I'm assuming my one good deck boosted my ELO super high and now I'm not allowed to play anything else without going through hell and losing/lowering my ELO for 50 games. Cool, cool, dat game design etc.
This really is unfortunate. Most of my decks are roughly equally garbage, so it doesn't matter too much in my case, but I wonder what's going to happen as I start improving some decks and not really others.

Of course, it also helps that I'm pretty amicable to losing. I figure I'm going to have to lose half my games anyway, so attempts at completing the current quest aside, I don't really mind sinking like a stone. Just makes it easier to buoy back up later!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2014, 05:27:52 am »

It... kinda makes sense, actually.
There are, as you pointed out, people running Legendary-viable decks in Unranked to pubstomp. The ELO/MMR system should, in theory, help push them into fighting equally well-optimized decks and par stuff like Murloc Priest with equally derp setups.

Admittedly, it does screw you over badly if you have just one optimized deck that you constantly use, which pushes up your MMR, and then you try to fiddle with your shoddier decks and see if your attempts at optimization panned out just to see yourself get wrecked by people who know what they're doing and have the tools to do it, but that's an issue that should sort itself out in time as you eventually get the appropriate class cards you need.
You can't really single out HS for having this issue as it's inherent to CCGs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:33:51 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:35 am »

Well, obviously having more cards enables you to make better decks.

There are a lot of steamers who have recorded their progress from rank 25 to legend on a fresh account without using real money though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:30 am »

but that's an issue that should sort itself out in time as you eventually get the appropriate class cards you need.
You can't really single out HS for having this issue as it's inherent to CCGs.
Eventually yeah, assuming your decks all improve at the same rate/the worse ones catch up quicker. It'd still be nice if there was some way to play at different levels with different decks, though. I don't see what it being a common problem has to do with anything.

Well, obviously having more cards enables you to make better decks.

There are a lot of steamers who have recorded their progress from rank 25 to legend on a fresh account without using real money though.
Getting floored by Legendaries is one of the few things that pisses me off about this game, though. With most other stuff it's like okay, they have a "good" card or a good combo or they got lucky or whatever. With Legendaries... they just don't seem on the same level as most other cards, so it looks a lot more like I just got straight overpowered by better stuff in a game that's not supposed to be about better stuff, or at least not to that degree.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:59 am »

Thing is, most legendaries do have hard counters, especially for Mage and Shaman, less so for Rogue or Warrior or Priest, tho.
And there are a lot of fairly dreadful legendaries. How many times have you seen ETC? Or Velen? Or Greenskin? Murkeye doesn't even show up in all murloc decks. *cough*Mekkatorqueisterribleandyoushouldneveruseit*cough*

There are, admittedly, also some extremely powerful ones, but then again, they're in the meta and there are ways to play around them especially since most of those are 8+ mana. And most removal is Basic, especially hard kill cards. Shaman iirc has the highest number of non-basic removal in its class cards, but at the other extreme is Mage, with everything bar Pyroblast being a Basic.

It is, admittedly, infuriating to not have solutions in hand for big cards in general, not just legendaries, and have them turn the game entirely around, but, again, RNG is in the nature of CCGs.

I will admit that the MMR should be based on the deck, but then you have another problem:  make highly optimized deck; get high mmr with that deck to the point you can't pubstomp. Delete deck to clear its associated MMR; remake deck in the exact same way.
Repeat.

Edit: besides, this is Unranked we're talking about. Unranked has no bearing on anything, ever.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:02:24 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2014, 10:37:31 am »

The problem with Legendaries is that there is no way to remove them in particular. For the most part, an 8 drop legendary is going to require the same removal as a 8 drop common - polymorph, hex, fireball, silence, equality, etc. You don't actually ever lose anything by throwing in a legendary that works for your deck, you just get a more powerful card that takes just as many (if not more) time/cards/etc to remove as anything else.

This is balanced out by making them rare, but that hardly matters when you're on the receiving end of one of these "its like your card but better!".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2014, 10:45:41 am »

That's not really true. The only common/rare 8+ drop is the Ironbark Protector, which is druid only.

Which brings us to the real problem, there are no good late-game (this is ignoring 7-drops but you said 8-drop so I'm sticking with that) cards without having epic/legendaries.

Which honestly isn't that bad as most games are decided in the early/mid-game anyway.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:48:34 am by Dutchling »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2014, 01:26:09 pm »

If anyone want to add me to their friendlist, It's Ultimuh#2560.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »

Should probably mention that the game (well, your progress) is region locked. You do keep the identifier across regions though.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »

Little bit of a revive, kinda hating myself for reinstalling hearthstone. Everyone is so goddamn good, legendaries and perfect tourney-quality decks all over the place. What happened to casual being filled with newbies and bad decks? To get 5 wins in my worst classes, it can take me upwards of 4 hours. And then I'll make my 100g and get my 4 commons/1 rare that I have to dust every day for a week.

Somewhere around the time when the season ended and the update that coincided with it, the casual bracket suddenly got flooded with much higher quality opponents.  I don't know if it was because the ranked players were now flooding the casual games, or maybe they were finally applying my official behind-the-scenes ranking to the match-making (I was winning roughly 90% of my casual games, it was doing a pretty poor job matching me to a worthwhile player).  Or maybe Casual match-making is broken.  All I know is that I went from facing scrub decks played by newbies, to net decks packed with rares and legendaries played by strong opponents.  I would've liked somewhere in between - it is so brutal now to try to get wins on my bad classes that I think I'd prefer to play Arena instead, but it's terrible for doing quests.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109