Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153127 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #345 on: June 17, 2015, 05:46:43 pm »

It is honestly getting harder and harder to play this game if your a new player because all the players have been playing for a while and starting decks SUUUUCK!

I am actually stuck with my current missions because it requires me to play two decks that I havn't touched.

Great idea for game design I tell you... "Go play these things you can't play!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 18, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »

Nefarion comes out fast but runs out of steam quickly, and will be ground to dust by Rag's hero power over a long game.  The issue is that Nefarion has two absurd bombs (Vael and Razorgore) that frequently lead to walkovers, as well as occasional blowouts from the hero power.  If Nef doesn't get to stick either of those legends early or get an absurd card from his power in the first few turns the matchup becomes quite even.
Nah, Rag's deck is pretty much shit. I played 13 times as Rag vs a friend Nef (dunno why I was getting only Rag), and I just won 2 times. These 2 times are when he doesn't get Vael turn 2 or 3.
Seriously, Rag needs to survive the first 6 turns, and after that he has the upper hand. But he has shit cards to do this, because they all costs too much or are ineffective.
The only few are Living Bomb and the one that puts corruption on every minions.

Flamestrike is useless (only crea with 4hp is the one that does 3 damage with a dragon and 7 mana), thaurissan and his wife are useless, the first hero power is useless, armor + draw is useless, Baron Geddon is useless (too late and small effect). In comparison to Nef's cards, Rag's costs way too much, especially the ones that are from classes decks (I think the worse ones are the Shaman's with overload).
In a normal deck, Rag's card would be awesome, but most of Nef's minions are 6/6 or 7/7.
Rag has two very good early minions - the 6/6 taunt for 2 and the 6/3 fireball for 3.  Those both fight Nefarion's minions well, and you should be looking for them in your mulligans (as well as Living Bomb).  Moira is pretty good as well and may sometimes be keepable, she'll trade for at least one thing and an early Thaurissian effect really helps.

Flamestrike and Geddon aren't helpful early, but they help shut the door on Nefarion later by answering Open the Gates and Onyxia.  Coren is pretty incredible at seizing the board back from Nefarion, especially since Nefarion can't really do much with no minions out unless he pulls something from his power.
Coren is only useful if the Nefarian puts the Golem which reduces spells costs by 3, allowing you to play Coren + Brawl for 6.
By the way I'm pretty sure you should never play Electron unless you plan to immediately sacrifice it to Shadowflame.  It helps Ragnaros a lot and does close to nothing for you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 18, 2015, 11:59:31 pm »

It is honestly getting harder and harder to play this game if your a new player because all the players have been playing for a while and starting decks SUUUUCK!

I am actually stuck with my current missions because it requires me to play two decks that I havn't touched.

Great idea for game design I tell you... "Go play these things you can't play!"

Are you sure the thing that sucks isn't you?  The default decks you start the game with are garbo but every class has perfectly viable decks that can be made with just the basic set.  Most of them can be expanded with cheap cards from the expert set as well.  You should really have no trouble getting into the game.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2015, 12:11:44 am »

Ok, do you want to make this viable deck from my cards? I can list my collection.

It is just getting harder and I am not in a zone with a huge player base. So it isn't unusual for me to fight the same person in several times in a row.

I can do decently enough with my built decks... But alas I am not going to be able to do squat with my warrior or paladin decks for a while.

Oddly enough I would love to see the ultimate "Generic Deck" as in a deck that is built as if it had no class and no class skill in use.

---

Yep Cthulhu I knew you were full of it :P

made a "Deck with what I got" nope it is full of garbage that can't win :P

I just have to hope for another person using a base deck... which will be people having the exact same issue I am which is that they can't win unless they fight base decks :P

Only non-base I beat was a Rogue deck... I think...

---

One reason I love my priest deck is because against people who just get a ton of legendary cards and basically Buy victory... I have a chance to turn the tide on them.

Ohh you just summoned a 20 dollar card? Well it is mine now! And this card barely costs a dollar if I chose to buy it!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:44:01 am by Neonivek »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2015, 05:40:55 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjtRokhpvM&list=PLvEIxIeBRKSjprrvlbAcbVjzHsnH9PjDX

This playlist has a solid deck using only basic cards for each class followed by a game with each deck.

"My cards aren't good" is a garbage excuse. You can still get to legend using only zoo from the classic set, which costs something on the order of 700 dust and uses mostly commons and base cards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 19, 2015, 05:56:59 am »

So what you are saying is

In order to not get hit with the "Garbage cards"

I need to go online... read a guide... follow a SPECIFIC set of instructions and copy someone elses deck?

By the by he leveled up those decks DOESN'T COUNT!

Not spending another 5 hours maxing out my characters... just to not die constantly

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2015, 06:00:20 am »

Copying good decks is a fundamental part of every even remotely competitive TCG.

Trying to make your own decks without understanding the good decks, and more importantly, understanding why they are good is just silly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2015, 06:02:04 am »

Copying good decks is a fundamental part of every even remotely competitive TCG.

No, that is the worst part of TCG... It fundamentally destroys it. I am not fighting you I am fighting someone elses deck.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:08 am »

Once you properly understand the game you can start tweaking the traditionally good decks to better fight the decks you are facing, and after that you can try brewing your own decks from start.

Baby steps, Neonivek :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2015, 06:06:57 am »

Once you properly understand the game you can start tweaking the traditionally good decks to better fight the decks you are facing, and after that you can try brewing your own decks from start.

Baby steps, Neonivek :)

All I did was come in here and say that it is getting harder for new people to get into this because the base competency of the player base is increases... meaning the base decks don't cut it as much

Apperantly it means I am waging war with the game's fundamental nature

That and it sucks to get a mission with characters you have no decks for...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2015, 06:09:18 am »

I'm just saying I don't think this:
I need to go online... read a guide... follow a SPECIFIC set of instructions and copy someone elses deck?
Is a weird or bad thing at all.

Maybe it's because I'm used to playing Magic the Gathering, but playing a deck without first reading and watching some primers and deck techs seems silly to me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2015, 06:10:18 am »

I'm just saying I don't think this:
Is a weird or bad thing at all.

For me it kind of... ruins the game...

It is like reading a guide for a Point and click...

I want to sort of get my hands dirty and build my own decks and make it on my own. With the only guides I read about basic deck building strategies then "How to make their deck"

It is why the PC magic the gathering games felt like a cheap imitation of MTG. Because they are all prebuilt.

It is why "Read a guide" is such odd advice to me.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:21:41 am by Neonivek »

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2015, 06:23:01 am »

The other way of looking at it is that if you don't want to read online guides, you will be learning more slowly.  You should be getting a greater sense of achievement out of this route, but otherwise look up some decks?

I found the Icy Veins website to have good Basic decks, which cost zero dust, and got me to 18 rank.  I have heard that the best players can take the decks from Basic cards to Legend. So its not just the cards.  But they sure do help!

And while I still lose to players with a handful of legendary cards, its a great feeling when you beat them!

For the time (practice) and money (zero) I put in, I hover around 17-18 rank. I got to 15 at the end of the last season, once.  And if I am trying a new class or deck, my rank tanks until I either get down to my new level, or I start to learn to play the deck.  But that's okay.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2015, 06:24:34 am »

I want to sort of get my hands dirty and build my own decks and make it on my own.

Not an uncommon sentiment. But it will be very hard to make good decks without knowing what a good deck actually is.

I won't stop you from trying though :)

It is why the PC magic the gathering games felt like a cheap imitation of MTG. Because they are all prebuilt.

The 2015 version actually does allow you to make your own deck in case you weren't aware. It lacks a lot of other cool stuff from the older versions though, so I would only recommend it it you can get it for cheap, although I think you can get a free demo on tablets.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2015, 06:27:26 am »

It has... serious balance issues mind you in the 2015 one...

It allows cards that have been banned from legacy for years.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:37:37 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 109