Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153113 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #480 on: July 22, 2015, 08:26:16 pm »

I doubt Saraad is playable in real constructed decks rather than the silly ones they had in the show game, it's extremely slow.  To get any real value out of it you have to hope a late yeti lives for multiple turns, which is very unlikely.  90% of the time I'd prefer an Azure Drake (which also has the upside of giving you cards that you put in your deck rather than random jank).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:27:49 pm by Leafsnail »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »

It's bit lot worse of course, since you get random Hunter jank, instead of stuff you actually put in your deck :P
It was actually an interesting thought as they were playing the matches, Hunters actually have very little "jank" as compared with other classes. Of the 36 cards LnL could pull, only Cobra Shot and Timber Wolf are actually still bad, along with Bestial Wrath if you don't have any beasts or pull any from LnL which is rather improbable. Everything else "bad" is in the "Well, I didn't actively want this but since it was free it's not terrible".

Re: Saraad. He has the same capacity to just outright win the game as EPORTS portal, which is huge. If you read it as a 5 mana cantrip that's just delayed a couple turns, it turns out to be roughly an azure drake with +1 health and Super Taunt, which is pretty decent. There's 190 spells or so (probably will go up to 210ish with TGT), and there's enough of them that its more than good enough to be equivalent to an average draw. Plus, again, X/186 chance to just outright win the game with any given hero power.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:58 pm »

Re: Saraad. He has the same capacity to just outright win the game as EPORTS portal, which is huge.
It's nothing like Unstable Portal though, that can do ridiculous things because when it hits a high cost creature you get to slam it 3 turns early.  This doesn't modify the cost.  Occasionally you'll get a super good offclass card, but that's way less frequent and also is unlikely to win you the game singlehandedly.
If you read it as a 5 mana cantrip that's just delayed a couple turns, it turns out to be roughly an azure drake with +1 health and Super Taunt, which is pretty decent.
Not really, being forced to run out something two turns later is a huge drawback.  I don't think many decks want to be making a marginal value play (Azure Drake with one more health!) on turn 7 rather than trying to kill the opponent or playing Dr Boom.  And I dunno if it's really "super taunt", if your opponent doesn't deal with it you just get to draw one more card at the cost of using your hero power again, that's not game-winning.
There's 190 spells or so (probably will go up to 210ish with TGT), and there's enough of them that its more than good enough to be equivalent to an average draw. Plus, again, X/186 chance to just outright win the game with any given hero power.
This is bad logic.  Having a lot of spells does not increase their average quality - they still range from good to bad.  The cards in your deck should all be good, therefore drawing out of it is better than drawing from a random selection of cards that could be good or bad, even if that selection includes a tiny number of good off-class cards that won't even always win you the game.

Besides if getting random spells is really such a valuable effect Nefarion does it much better.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:02:07 pm by Leafsnail »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2015, 09:04:12 pm »

There are lots of off-class cards that'd be OP on hunter.  Obviously the best solution would be to make a deck contains infinite copies of every card in the entire game, to give  you the maximum number of random OP cards.
Shoes...

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2015, 09:15:16 pm »

I typed the last sentence poorly. The point was that a large enough proportion of the spells are good enough that the card draw effect is good enough for just 1x draw. Expanding off of that, if it goes unanswered it's like old pagel which just drew infinite cards and won the game from that. The card itself is a win condition, especially combined with some of the other hero power synergy cards like Maiden of the Lake or whatever, and then it can further get some other degeneracy going, like UTH+Bloodlust for an 8 mana flamestrike/druid combo.

The reason Nefarion doesn't see much play is because at 9 drop, you're directly competing with Ysera, and dream cards are so much better than anything Nefarion can pull except SacPact it's not even funny.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »

The thing is if a 7 mana yeti goes unanswered then you were almost certainly in a crushingly dominant position anyway.  Like I cannot think of any deck that would not have the tools to either very easily deal with that or kill you for making such a slow play.

He seems particularly terrible in hunter, a 1/100 miracle combo with UTH is not worth playing a yeti on turn 7 instead of savannah highmane/doctor boom/face damage spells.  Besides, if you really want to dig for an OP spell Kill Command is right there in your deck

I guess he could be playable if there's a lot of Inspire support that creates a deck, but this definitely is not a staple.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:11:31 pm by Leafsnail »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2015, 09:56:01 pm »

A win condition that's going to rely on accruing value over many turns? That doesn't seem like it's going to be a thing in hearthstone, at least not this expansion.

I love the idea of totem synergy. Tuskarr totemic makes me a bit unhappy, since I think that means that the totem tribe are doomed in perpetuity to be quite small minions, and thus probably an aggressive tribe, and probably is going to somewhat lock shaman into that area as well... Maybe totem support cards can make up for it. But I somewhat doubt it.

Poor shaman. Being pulled every which way.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2015, 11:23:25 pm »

A win condition that's going to rely on accruing value over many turns? That doesn't seem like it's going to be a thing in hearthstone, at least not this expansion.

I love the idea of totem synergy. Tuskarr totemic makes me a bit unhappy, since I think that means that the totem tribe are doomed in perpetuity to be quite small minions, and thus probably an aggressive tribe, and probably is going to somewhat lock shaman into that area as well... Maybe totem support cards can make up for it. But I somewhat doubt it.

Or they might just be additions as Quartermaster and Muster for arms were. Rather then making an entire tribe out of it they'll be support that is additional to helping you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 23, 2015, 08:01:36 am »

I'm very interested in Lock and Load.  It doesn't fit in existing hunter decks, but it's such an absurdly powerful card that I can imagine it creating a new one.  It's especially ridiculous with Tracking.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:59 am »

I'm very interested in Lock and Load.
It's actually a trap. In reality it's a bad card, it will not see play.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 23, 2015, 08:22:05 am »

Can you explain?  It's an insanely powerful card draw spell in a class that was broken the last time it had powerful card draw.

Looking over the Hunter class card list you're just under 50% to get something that can easily proc it again, and some of the potential drops are absurd (most notably Tracking and Lock and Load).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:27:50 am by Leafsnail »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 23, 2015, 08:31:26 am »

Or they might just be additions as Quartermaster and Muster for arms were. Rather then making an entire tribe out of it they'll be support that is additional to helping you.

Well. Yeah, that seems to be sorta the thing that is happening. But there are a lot more cards being put into it. There's at least 8 totems now, 4 of which are cards. And... at least 3 more totem support cards, minimum. So it's sorta half and half. quatermaster and muster for battle are just sorta, very minor things, you're right. I just felt that the totem tribe had the potential to be more, Totem Golem was a really good start to it actually being a real tribe.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:33:40 am by Criptfeind »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:22 am »

My main concern for Lock and Load is that you might not be able to reliably trigger it enough times in a turn. Triggering it once is 2 mana to draw a random hunter card, which is bad. Triggering it twice makes it a cheaper, worse Arcane Intellect, which could be worth it. You only get crazy value off three or more spells, though that's easier when the card has around a 50% chance to give you a spell, and when Tracking is likely to give you two triggers.

It seems pretty powerful, but I think the inconsistency is going to keep it from being broken.

Has Ysera stopped being good?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 23, 2015, 09:00:44 am »

I don't think it will be too hard to proc it a lot (3-4 times).  Once you put in your Hunter's Mark, Tracking, Quick Shot, 3 secrets, Lock and Load, Kill Command, Unleash the Hounds and Animal Companion that's already over half your deck, and you could easily add in something like Flare or even Call Pet if you want more consistency (since 2 mana cyclers are fairly playable in combo decks anyway).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:05:22 am by Leafsnail »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:45 am »

Has Ysera stopped being good?

Yeah.

Ysera has been too slow for quite a long time.

Also she's faster then this guy. So...
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 109