Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 150585 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2015, 11:45:58 am »

Why are handlocks always the saltiest?
It's a thing with people who main control. My friend play mostly druid control, mage tempo, etc, and he gets pissed off every time there's a aggro against him, and say they're unskilled.
I mean, sure, facehunter is more straightforward than most decks, but I still dont understand all that rage.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2015, 12:44:45 pm »

Handlock has the second longest games on average, behind Wallet Warrior. The difference is that you play the latter with the expectation of fatiguing every game. Handlock games can take forever because it just takes them forever to actually end the game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 16, 2015, 09:58:59 pm »

I got a bit fatigued out of talking about every card that was shown (also when magic came out I stopped playing hearthstone lol).

But dat mulch yo. Finally good druid removal. There goes... Probably their biggest weakness. Lord, at this rate they might actually get a good aoe next expansion. How terrifying.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 20, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »

The newest tavern brawl shows off the new mechanics, with a pre-built inspire mage vs joust ranger.

The brawl seems like a flop, as the decks feel too weak. The mage gets some interesting combos (cheaper/more frequent hero powers, and inspire to gain a 3/5 or a random spell), but they take multiple turns to set-up. The ranger gets a bunch of control, mostly from cards we already had. The deck's joust cards aren't powerful enough, and with this deck, not reliable enough, to leave me wanting more.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 23, 2015, 01:32:11 pm »

I think you mean Hunter.

Speaking of Joust cards, I'm very excited about this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the right deck this essentially a tutor. And Hunter has a lot of creatures that are technically spells (Animal Companian, Bear Trap, etc), so it can easily have a deck that will almost always win the joust.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:33:56 pm by Dutchling »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 23, 2015, 03:53:19 pm »

I am starting to find the attack and defense of the cards in this game to be absolutely random. There just seems to be flat out no heads or tales.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 23, 2015, 04:24:03 pm »

Generally, the formula for an ideal is attack + health = manacost x2 +1. There are some outliers, generally with downsides or high manacosts where you're playing them for the text.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 23, 2015, 04:25:25 pm »

Generally, the formula for an ideal is attack + health = manacost x2 +1. There are some outliers, generally with downsides or high manacosts where you're playing them for the text.

I mean linking the summon to its power :P

Weak pathetic monster = 4/4 :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #608 on: August 23, 2015, 04:28:53 pm »

There just seems to be flat out no heads or tales.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean

Nothing wrong with a 4/4. The important thing there is cost - a 4/4 for 4 is shit, but give it Charge and suddenly it's a good card.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 23, 2015, 04:35:35 pm »

There just seems to be flat out no heads or tales.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean

Nothing wrong with a 4/4. The important thing there is cost - a 4/4 for 4 is shit, but give it Charge and suddenly it's a good card.
A 4/4 is great against priests because suddenly their removal is useless. Further, I doubt a shaman or mage would be willing to use hex/polymorph to get rid of it. Of course, there are better options than a 4/4 for 4. The yeti is a 4/5 for 4, if you want an example.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 23, 2015, 04:36:01 pm »

Yet a 3/2 or even 1/3 is perfectly acceptable, in many decks. But 8/8 can be a liability, or be awesome, depending.

It's not really random, it just depends on lots of things.

You'd need a more finely graded mana system to really balance them all. If you got 10 mana per crystal, and things could cost 35 or 26 mana, then there'd be a lot more interesting choices to be made. But having those both cost 3 makes some choices pretty obvious in terms of power, regardless of deck/character being played, with no fine tuning available for balancing things later.
It's a game. Have fun.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 23, 2015, 04:37:20 pm »

I mean linking the summon to its power :P

There's a reason mana cost was a part of that formula. a 2 mana 4/4 is fantastic, which is why Millhouse Manastorm has a game losing downside. A 5 mana 4/4 is unplayable without an huge upside, like charge or +2 health and taunt.

Also, 4 health is bad. Shredder kills it. If it has 4 health, costs 4 or more, and doesn't do something impactful when you slam it it's unplayable. The end.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 23, 2015, 05:48:28 pm »

I think Neonivek is talking about the size of minions flavourwise.  As a random example Gadgetzan Auctioneer is Just Some Dude but he can beat a bunch of trained warriors and beasts in a fight.

Really the stats in games like this will never make sense if you think about them.  "Here is the most powerful of all dragons, Deathwing.  He is as strong as 12 chickens."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 23, 2015, 06:26:22 pm »

I mean magic the gathering which I'll use as an example is quite simple...

An Ordinary person is a 0/1, a soldier is a 1/1, a large animal is a 2/2, and a huge animal is a 3/3

Power and defense are somewhat related.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

"Here is an eldritch horror, the most powerful being in the multiverse.  It is as strong as 15 squirrels"
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 109