Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153108 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Hearthstone TCG - The Reign of Dr. Boom
« Reply #660 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:39 pm »

It's not separate so much as inconsistent. Stuff happens differently in the RTSs vs the books vs WoW vs Hearthstone. Probably just that Blizzard doesn't really care/is trolling us, all things considered.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 15, 2015, 12:16:26 am »

It's not separate so much as inconsistent. Stuff happens differently in the RTSs vs the books vs WoW vs Hearthstone. Probably just that Blizzard doesn't really care/is trolling us, all things considered.

Not really, they used the books to expand out the content of the RTS, because Warcraft 1 and 2 are both vastly different in how things came to be and ended up different compared to the later things, as a result they typically took parts of the games (or entirely in the case of Warcraft 2), and made it a book series to expand upon the content, they did this with starcraft as well using the book series to expand upon content and add additional stories. Characters from the books ended up in World of Warcraft and generally made connections to the old stories that they came from at times.

Hearthstone is in it's own little non-serious continuity, and isn't part of the same timeline as the "Main" series.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #662 on: September 15, 2015, 02:25:57 am »

I have completed my wallet warrior deck.

It is fairly amusing!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 15, 2015, 10:51:50 am »

You say the book canon isn't separate, but whenever I look at WoW lore I see book-reliant information stuck in its own section with a little disclaimer so you know to take it less seriously.

To me it looks pretty similar to Star Trek or Magic the Gathering or any other franchise big enough to have mediocre books based on it - there isn't an official separation, but you have to take anything the books say with a grain of salt because the creators frequently ignore/contradict all but the biggest plot elements. That contributes to most people ignoring the books and two very different perceptions of canon forming. But I'll admit this might not be the case with WoW lore and I could just be misinterpreting how Blizzard and the fans handle it.

And the "two Hearthstone canons" comment was not serious.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 15, 2015, 10:55:12 am »

Yeah, anyone who's paying attention knows there at least three hearthstone canons by now.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 15, 2015, 11:04:27 am »

You say the book canon isn't separate, but whenever I look at WoW lore I see book-reliant information stuck in its own section with a little disclaimer so you know to take it less seriously.

To me it looks pretty similar to Star Trek or Magic the Gathering or any other franchise big enough to have mediocre books based on it - there isn't an official separation, but you have to take anything the books say with a grain of salt because the creators frequently ignore/contradict all but the biggest plot elements. That contributes to most people ignoring the books and two very different perceptions of canon forming. But I'll admit this might not be the case with WoW lore and I could just be misinterpreting how Blizzard and the fans handle it.

And the "two Hearthstone canons" comment was not serious.

The problem is that Blizzard doesn't do this, they've done it with Starcraft 2 where many of the newer characters comes from the Book Series (Explaining Tychus history with Raynor, Jimmy's Crew, some of the newer characters histories are never explained ingame but they have been in the book series that came out beforehand). While characters in World of Warcraft have come from the book series (Rhonin was a prominent example) and major plot's have been resolved through the book series (Want to know how the whole Time Travel thing really went down with Garrosh for example? Was done in the books! Or how he convinced Grommash? In the books/comic!) The thing about Blizzard is that many of the writers of the books are those who also tend to work with Blizzards other works at times, so they can keep it more inhouse.

Also while Star Trek does as you say, MTG does keep it's books canon actually, they just don't tend to matter because of the medium too much. You probably should've stated "Star Wars and Star Trek's Expanded universe".

Not a big fan of this approach too much myself, sure it adds alot more detail, but I was literally blind as to who the heck the crew was in Starcraft 2 because there was barely any information on them ingame.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:14:17 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 15, 2015, 11:23:25 am »

MTG does keep it's books canon actually, they just don't tend to matter because of the medium too much

Yeah that is basically it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 16, 2015, 02:25:53 pm »

"new" brawl. The portals are back.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 16, 2015, 05:08:57 pm »

As are the spiders.

At least if you managed to catch it at the right time, like I did.

How do they keep messing this up? Do the spend the intervening days twiddling their thumbs, and then on the hour of the start, some dude is tasked with pressing the button that makes it start, but the dude fell asleep and his pet monkey did it instead. Or maybe he rolled a die, and it rolled behind his desk, so he put a random one on. Or maybe it's a weird sort of office prank where the bosses tell every person that a different brawl is happening.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 17, 2015, 05:11:51 pm »

Or it could be an unpredictable bug that is difficult to fix.

I mean, I know Magic's books are officially canon. I've just seen enough people complaining about stuff getting retconned or ignored that I've gotten the impression anything but the biggest plot points in the books should be taken less seriously than what's on the cards or the short stories on their site.

I think this is mostly due to the books being written by freelancers and edited poorly - it makes sense that Blizzard's lore is more consistent if they write everything in-house. MtG has shifted to that recently and they are much better off for it.

Also there actually is kind of a separate MtG canon - the absolute earliest Magic books are considered "prerevision" and basically get ignored by everyone (though I think stuff that hasn't been contradicted is still technically canon?). It's not what I was referring to though.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 17, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »

Those wouldn't be considered separate canon just so much as "retconned stuff".

Also there's so many new fun deck types coming out, though trying to get a good totem deck down.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:32 pm »

Yeah I have a strong suspicion WotC don't care very much about the books that no-one reads.  EG apparently Nissa was like the Elf equivalent of Hitler before they brought her onto the good guy team.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:20 pm »

Yeah I have a strong suspicion WotC don't care very much about the books that no-one reads.  EG apparently Nissa was like the Elf equivalent of Hitler before they brought her onto the good guy team.

Good and evil is very... flux in the MtG universe... even at the best of time.

Then again that has more to do with that with few exceptions all the characters have motivations that aren't "be evil" and so it is easy to pull together even the most "evilish" characters.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:52 pm »

To be fair they do keep their heroes pretty ambiguous at times, Urza was pretty much a confirmed Sociopath, Sarkhan may be better but his actions at Tarkir screwed that plane over so hard. (Even if it is to fight the Eldrazi).

And Nissa still had a vast hatred of Vampires to the point of screwing over Sorin's plan over the Eldrazi...And no she wasn't Elf Hitler, though the Joraga tribe were pretty much bigots, and the story does show they and her were pretty bad at one point, though she's at least willing to fight, and nobody really cares about her past considering the bigger threat (considering some of the people on team good right now..)

Characters are pretty complicated instead of black and white good in MTG, most of the time.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 18, 2015, 09:45:13 am »

"Oh would you look at that," I said to myself, "I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, surely now I can play Hearthstone on my phone."
So off I went to the app store, downloading the game on Wifi to not drain my Datausage. Happily running through the tutorial missions all the way through to the end...
"YEAH! I would totally love to keep playing," I said to myself again as I clicked to make an account, "Oh whats this, Oh yeah I already have an account attached to my email from when I foolishly tried out WoW ages ago. I guess I will just use that then..."

Ever since, every time I try to open the app. I stare at the Inn Doors before it throws me to the 'Create an Account' screen, each time I scroll down and click 'I have an account' and sign in. ONLY TO LOOK AT THE DAMN WEBSITE EVERY TIME!!!!

Wtf is going on here guys, I just can't seem to get around this odd thing happening to me, heck I even went and cleaned up all the security shit that it kept throwing at me, yet I still can't even log into the F-ing game...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 109