Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 152848 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1515 on: September 17, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:18 pm »

With the balance changes potentially going to shake things up I decided to take the plunge and spend a shit ton of dust on creating exodia mage, genuinely the most fun I've had in hearthstone in over a year. Really sad against aggro, but otherwise okay.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:34 pm »

Wild or Standard? I like the Wild list but don't have 1 Iceblock, 2 simulacra, or 1... some other epic... I could afford all that but I already have a wild secret mage so I'm hesitant since ALL I'VE SEEN since the patch is nonstop aggro.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 20, 2017, 08:38:37 pm »

Standard. And yeah, there's a fair amount of aggro around in standard as well. I'm not actually climbing the ladder with it, and I'm at a pretty embarrassing rank to be treading water. And it's fun.

Also on Simulacrum, it is very slow compared to molten reflection, and a lot of lists out there run only 1 copy of it instead of two, which I personally think is probably about right. It's pretty rare for the sorcerers apprentices to be the thing you wait on in a slow game (I normally find that either the archmage being on the bottom of the deck or a tome being down there is what trips me up the most.) and games where you gota go fast the 5 mana (which is only very rarely mitigated to 4) and having to empty your hand of other 2 drops can be a killer compared to molten reflection.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:46:56 pm by Criptfeind »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:08 pm »

The wild version is a lot cleaner because you don't need quest and the other mage fuckery, just stall, draw, and the combo pieces + Thaurissan.

Oh, Doomsayer was the other 1-of I was missing. But yeah, I'll probably just skip it for now since I already have the wild secret deck and it works well enough.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 21, 2017, 04:19:34 am »

I am still confused about the balance changes. FWA's nerf did not decrease pirate warrior's win rates. Jade druids are still at the top too. Hex nerf changed literally nothing. Murlocks nerf might be actually significant but it's not immediately obvious now as I play them.
My guess is the changes were aimed at future expansion more than at fixing the current meta.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 21, 2017, 04:46:17 am »

It is a first time in a while when I don't want to play wild. Renopriests and giant decks are too annoying to play against.

Hearthstone would be so much better card if minimal cost for card\hero power was 1 mana
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 21, 2017, 01:54:11 pm »

I am still confused about the balance changes. FWA's nerf did not decrease pirate warrior's win rates. Jade druids are still at the top too. Hex nerf changed literally nothing. Murlocks nerf might be actually significant but it's not immediately obvious now as I play them.
My guess is the changes were aimed at future expansion more than at fixing the current meta.

They made old cards shittier so people will want to buy new ones. The game director said as much.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:01 pm »

That's kinda true if an unflattering way of putting it. Their issue is when cards from the base set are good enough that they can't ever print any realistic alternatives. IE: They couldn't ever really print a good low cost warrior weapon because there's nothing that can compete with firey waraxe without being very over powered. Combine that with the cards in question probably being too powerful and they felt they had an issue, maybe the win axe would have been fine existing for two years before heading off to wild, but a basic card it'd be around forever...

At least, that's the logic as I understand it. I personally don't agree. I think that it would have been okay for the win axe to exist forever in every single warrior deck. Although I'll admit that it might have been overpowered. But on the other hand like Darkmere puts out, this way they can print cards that people want to buy.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:29 am »

I'm just not really a fan of the idea that the only way to control the power of ALL the cards is to repeatedly destroy the "PERMANENT" cards. I understand this is slippery-slope, but so far 75% of nerfs post-release have been applied to Basic (and Classic, I think) cards - the ones that are supposed to be around forever, and the safest for new players to craft for the longest value.

Further, there's a HUGE gap between "playably good" (Bonemare, Aya) and complete garbage by design (sunborne Val'kyr, Moorabi), so in order to compete at all, cards have to be absurd. If this trend continues, new players get put in the playpen with their shit cards that no one uses anymore and have to pay to play with all the cool cards the streamers get to use. And since standard is pushed with everything, might as well eat a huge loss and dust those in a couple years to keep up.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 22, 2017, 01:21:10 am »

There's a reason everyone told blizzard at the start of standard that having an evergreen set was going to cause them more pain and just be a problem in the wrong run.

At that point blizz hadn't entirely discarded the idea of preserving the new player experience, so they justified it as for the sake of new players.

They then proceeded to trash decks that heavily relied on evergreen cards, and have steadily been nerfing the other relevant ones. Returning to exhibit A, that they shouldn't have had an evergreen set at all. At some point, presumably player rage will boil over to the point where they get rid of it entirely, then piss everyone off even more because they don't believe in reprints either.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:46 am »

At that point blizz hadn't entirely discarded the idea of preserving the new player experience, so they justified it as for the sake of new players.

The new player experience has actually dramatically improved over the last year or so. The biggest thing is that new players are now in a separate matchmaking pool for a while after starting. Which brings win rates up by quite a lot. The session where you transcend this pool is still pretty jarring. Thankfully, Un'Goro and Frozen Throne have introduced a lot of very powerful common cards (Bonemare, Cobalt Scalebane, Crackling Razormaw, Tar Creeper, Ravasaur Runt, Bearshark etc.) that let you climb Ranked ladder beyond Rank 20 even in your first months. Also, guaranteed legendaries in first 10 packs is a godsend for new players.

I recently introduced someone to Hearthstone and they've been having a really good time and just by doing dailies for a bit over a month, they already have most commons from Un'Goro and Frozen Throne. And having gotten a bit lucky with the guaranteed legendaries, pretty powerful decks as well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:27:41 am by LASD »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:10 am »

Honestly I never found the new player whatever to be THAT horrible, but I understood and accepted that I was going to be a piece of shit skill-wise and collection-wise for a long time. Most of what I played was tavern brawls with pre-set decks to complete quests and buy packs.

A lot of the complaints I see on Reddit are people who immediately go to play ladder or for some reason expect to just be given a full collection of cards for $20 or less.

Further... I can't understand why people think they NEED a full collection of every single card when so many of them are just unplayable garbage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 28, 2017, 12:04:50 pm »

The free Death Knight is also pretty good, they're all powerful cards and if you don't like them that's 400 free dust.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 28, 2017, 01:13:27 pm »

i only play weird, slow decks, so i'm often around rank 15. i'm sure i occasionally baffle some relative newbie (towards the end of the month) with a mill deck or whatever.

the whole monthly season thing is obviously a big part of the problem, dumping experienced-but-infrequent players with lots of resources down towards the bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 109