Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress  (Read 9402 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 09:15:18 pm »

A few random thoughts:

Meph "likes ducks for their quacks" and is married to a dwarf whose last name is roughly "Yellow-hells", likes "stripped", and hate finches.  He also has a hard time with social situations.  I really want to meet this dwarf.

Apparently I like water buffalos for their water wallowing, so I imagine my guy takes breaks to watch the DF equivalent of youtube videos of watering holes.  He's also distant, which kind of makes sense, considering.

Game-wise, year three will end up being a short update, where Grimmash is possessed, seizes a fortress, and digs a whole bunch of dirt and stone.  Pretty much I decided we need a real entrance, and the farms are in the way, so I am relocating them deeper, building them bigger, and incorporating a food processing chain to the dining stocks.  I'm also finishing about a hundred bedrooms and appointing them (to try to get up to about 200 beds).  The fort is over 100 dwarves as of mid summer.  The last project will be building the foundation of the entrance.

None of this is exciting, but requires most of my dwarves working full-time.  Research is slow due to this, so the interesting things I planned on doing got pushed back a bit.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:49 am »

Year 3 write up in progress.  This will be a summary update instead of a chronological update, as the year was fairly quiet.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:00:18 pm »

Year Three – Digging Down, Building Up, and Moar Farms!

So this year was pretty low key. I’ll just go over the highlights, then tour the fortress again.

Most of the year was devoted to building and digging.  We constructed the first floor of a large turreted entrance to the fortress, shown here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While not the most exciting thing, it should provide security against ambushes and robbers, and once I have marksdwarves trained, I will put some on duty in there to keep an eye on things.

I finished digging out and finishing a second floor of bedrooms, and appointed all of the first hundred, and a portion of the second hundred.

We did have a nice summer-time scrap with a dual attack of raccoons and nymphs that refused to leave us alone.  Between the caravan guards and the military, we took out all of them, but it severely disrupted building for a time.

In Autumn, we got another research breakthrough: the Crucible. 

This is a handy building that allows for more efficient processing of metals and working some of the new ones.  Although the building does not have the raw speed of the blast furnace at making steel and bronze (it makes 3 bar batches) you get a free bar, and a small chance for another.  So that is nice!  You can also process things like Wolframite and chromite, melt the rust out of <rusty> items, and melt stone into obsidian and slate.

I copied the blueprint 4 times, and saved them, as I will be working on using magma soon.

This led to the last major project of the year:  the Lavaworks.  This is not a masterwork thing, per se, but something I like to do.  I dug down under most of the fortress layers, and carved out a giant room to flood with magma, and to place all of our metalworking above.  You see, I forgot that having seen magma from the start, I had access to the magma powered versions of masterwork furnaces and forges without needing to do the research that unlocks them.  Handy, no?  So it’s time to stop wasting wood and start cooking with molten lava.

A small annoyance on this map is a distinct lack of flux stone.  While normally this would be problematic, we have a solution.  The millstone can now grind various remains into a variety of useful things, including bonemeal.  Bonemeal is a flux stand in!  So I built a millstone, and a small defended windmill to power it, and have started grinding the bones of the dead livestock and the few invaders that havefallen to guards, dogs and trade guards.

But before I go nuts with the liquid death, I had to sort out our farms.  I dug into the last soil layer and created a massive underground farm and pasture system with workshops, stockpiles, breweries, and just about everything the food industry needs to be self sufficient.  Her are the farms in all their glory at the end of the year:

What is that big blue thing?  It is a Fish Pond!  For the price of 10 blocks, you can make a pond that you can fish at and catch all sorts of stuff.  In the reactions menu you can choose to fish with a variety of implements.  The bucket is the worst, the pole is better, and the net is best.  You can also fish for other assorted things.  You also make the poles and nets at the fish pond.  Best of all, it uses the fish farming skill instead of fishing, so you can get fish without sending dwarves to their inevitable death outside.

We discovered the Coin Mint, which lets us mint… coins.  I was all excited to get going, but realized I was missing a bunch of other workshops that let us do this, so for now just know that coins are in fact useful, and we will talk about them again next year.

After the coin mint, we discovered the secrets of the Gemforge.  The Gemforge can make weapons and armor from gems!  Meph wanted a gem greatsword, so I’ll see about getting on that for him.  Apparently they are very sharp…

With bedrooms, farms and the entrance in order, I turned to the Lavaworks.  Digging was completed, but flooding has not happened by the end of the year.  Next year should see a rapid surge in our metal production.

We also became a barony this year!  I made myself Baron, and have started a wonderful collection of birds.  Since we now have a mayor and a baron, I got cracking on noble housing, and I’m rather happy.  I accidentally processed most of the gold-bearing ore into blocks, so to salvage that oversight, I made myself a ton of gold-bearing rock furniture.

And we finally have proper mausoleums.  Someone died, I can’t remember who, so I figured a lot of coffins and tombs for the starting seven was appropriate.

From an industry standpoint, I have shifted the focus from mugs to clothing.  Clothing is nice.  My dwarves can use it, and I can trade it, new or used, for great profit.  So most of our trading sessions consisted of getting rid of the last of our gold-bearing rock mugs in exchange for food, drink, cloth, leather, and in the case of the drow, every piece of bloodsteel armor they had.  I seriously love those guys.

So all in all, a rather low key year focused on making the fort more defendable, sustainable, and preparing for fun with lava!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »

You must be doing something horribly wrong. The fort is save and sound and everything is going smoothly. Maybe I should add more hidden fun features to the mod...  ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:42 pm »

I have over 140 dwarves, lots of goods, and I have gotten one ambush.  I'm not sure what is going on.

On the plus side, I have killed more dwarves in year 4.  Magma, and using recruits to kill the elven caravan.  Magma killed about 5, the caravan one.  I was really dumb about one part of preparing the magma works a few nights ago.  I now own a ton of mithril goods, (thanks elves!), so I might be able to coax out some sieges.  I wanted to weather a few of those, harden my troops, and then conquer the caverns, but it may go in the other direction now.

I'll double check, but the only sieges I turned off were warlocks, automatons and frost giants, from what I can remember.

Edit:  Y'know, in my turn on Dorfday, I had two sieges, a titan, and a megabeast.  Naybe I used up my forum sieges on that one turn or something.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 03:45:36 pm »

You must be doing something horribly wrong. The fort is save and sound and everything is going smoothly. Maybe I should add more hidden fun features to the mod...  ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure about that..I had two sieges before the one year mark on my masterwork fort. Maybe Grimmash just got lucky with a genned world that lacks an abundance of baddies. Of course, it was a fortress defense race (which you note on many occasions as not being balanced with the mod overall) so maybe the mod actually is balanced with fortress defense races?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 03:55:26 pm »

The stranglers are supposed to be that early, because its only wrestlers, without weapons.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »

Meph, you got your wish.  So far one necro, and orc ambush, and the carp god has made an appearance.  Seems they were all saving it up.  Orcs are annoying, they camp instead of running in.

Also, not sure if you saw this in the MW forum, but random non-militia dwarves keep taking and carrying great gem axes as fast as I build them.  While this actually came in handy, i can't even stock any to give your dorf.  He has a rusty steel dagger from god knows where.  Any thoughts?  Am I just being dumb?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 03:25:22 pm »

Great Gem Axes are probably taken by the woodcutters. Civilians wouldnt touch weapons.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 04:25:18 pm »

Checkked that, not woodcutters it is really weird.  My ambassador, a chemist, etc.  I'll check it again tonight, put the active labors and who took the axes in the MW bug forum.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 12:10:42 am »

Year 4 - Alchemy, Guildhalls, and Magma

Spring

Flooding of the tunnels begins!  We also discovered the magma sea.

12th Granite

My barony has been confirmed! Hooray!

15th slate

Four dwarves died due to magma related issues in setting up the magma forges.  A pity, but progress requires sacrifice…

18th Slate

Three more reported missing…  Maybe I need to work on this whole digging and lava thing.  Usually I do better.

27th Slate

Migrants have come.  And we built a Guildhall.

For the low, low price of 500 sovereigns (gold coins), this lets you turn a dwarf into a member of one of the 12 guilds, massively increasing how fast they learn the guild skills.  The best way to do this is to restrict the workshop to the dwarf you want to change, then run the reaction.  The dwarf will go into a trance for a week, and emerge as a new guildmember.  I am going to start slowly guilding useful dwarfs.

8th Felsite

I hit a snag – I need coins to use the Guildhall.  Coins require a Mint.  A mint requires 3 sorts of dies to be built.  To make those, I need a Toolmaker.  I get the Toolamker built, but run into a snag.

I need spring steel to make parts for dies!  Spring Steel is new, and used for many reactions in the mod. To make it I need steel and nickel.  Steel is no problem, but nickle needs garnierite.  I have no garnierite on this embark, but there is the Alchemist!

Well drat, I need more stuff to research the Alchemist.  Specifically I need stone, rough gems, bars, flux, SOAP_MAT (lye!) and oil.  I can get oil from a screw press, so I’ll build one of those, and press some oil out of plants.  I’ll make lye from ash, which I have been making anyway for slag processing.

Time to get working…

19th felsite

Elves.  I’ll lock them in and take their stuff.

Summer

5th Hematite

Our researchers have discovered the secrets of alchemy!  Now we can build the alchemist’s shop.

Now we need a mortar and pestle.  I’ll send the orders to the craftdwarves.

28th Hematite

More damn migrants.  I mean, great, more bodies!

9th Galena

The elves finally went nuts!

Autumn

20th Limestone

We have an alchemist’s shop!  This wonderful building lets you transform metals from one to another around a circle of alchemy.  The circle is in the manual, so you can look it up there.  Basically, two bars and one flux transmute into a bar of the next metal.  It is not efficient, and not all of the transmutation make perfect sense, but they generally go up in value, so all in all, in works to plug holes in the missing minerals for your embark, assuming you have something to work with.  You can also use sprites to make water and lava sources, but we have both, so we will leave that for now.  Time to transmute some copper to nickel.

We also have a necromancer in disguise!  I’ll send Meph and his squads to deal with this.

Well, that was quick.  In one motion Meph charged down the stairs, drew his dagger, and cut the necromancer in half.

13th Sandstone

I’ve been making great gem axes at the Gemforge, but I’m having issues.  It seems random dwarves are picking them up as soon as I make them.  I’m not sure what the deal is, but I’ll try to figure it out and get Meph his great axe.

And, we finally have enough spring steel!  Time to make coin dies!

16th Sandstone

We have unlocked the secrets of magick!!!  Magick is a complex addition to the game.  Just now that for now we have unlocked the first step in magickal awesomeness, and this will be returned to later.

19 Sandstone

Even more migrants have come.  We have also finished two Shrines to Armok.  The shrine lets you pick an item to pray for, and you have about a 3% chance per prayer job to get something.  Another nice way to try and get some stuff for free.  Great if you have lots of useless dwarves.

26th Sandstone

The coin mint is built.  I’m going to start making gold coins (sovereigns) to use in the Guild Hall.  The building uses bars of metal, and turns them into coins.  Pretty simple.

28th Sandstone

We have a new Monastery.  This building makes a lot of the stuff that gets used in various religious reactions, like ceremonial items, allows praying, and can be used to induct dwarves into the Priest Guild, creating Apostles of Armok.

We need ceremonial statues and totems for an altar of Armok, so I’ll have some built.

5th Timber

Now that we are making coins, it is time to get some use out of that guild hall!  I am going to make a few more smiths.

In all the hubub, I missed the announcement that we discovered the secrets of the Golemforge a few days ago.  We’ll be returning to this topic.

11th Timber

At long last, a siege!  Orcs…

Time to test the new airlock system.

26th Timber

While trying to lure in the orcs, a forgotten beast has come to the caverns.

Winter

The squad of orcs seem content to wait, so I’ll see if the drow caravan can whittle them down.  They are mostly bowmen, no sense in wasting troops.  These orcs are smart invaders.  They do not randomly charge in, but instead wait for you to attack them.

23rd Moonstone

Our School of Wizardy is up and running.  I’ve set some research to be done in various fields of magic.

1st Opal

One of our dwarves is an acolyte of the carp god!  Time to dispatch the military.  It appears to be hitting our dwarves with waves of paralysis.

All of our sqauds attack, and the acolyte punches one of the first dwarves on the scene, hitting him in the head and crushing his skull.  As the dwarves pile in, our chemist, with a gem great axe, slices of the acolyte’s right arm.  Another swing cleaves off the right foot.  Finally, the creature bleeds to death.  While no one gains credit for the kill, it Sigun Raluzar, a chemist who inexplicably took a gem great axe, that severed both body parts.  She has been given the title “Carp Slayer”, and will receive military honors and likely a rank in the militia.

9th Opal

Our hospital killed a dwarf due to lack of water.  Time to get cracking on the wells.

16th Opal

We discovered the Town Portal at the Wizardry school!  I’ll come back to this, but it basically allows you to summon dwarves from the Mountainhome directly to the fortress.  Cool, if you need more dwarves.

14th Obsidian

Another artifact, this time an hourglass.

Work progresses on the well system full speed.

21st Obisidian

Two long overdue additions have been made to the fortress.  And Archeologist’s Study and a Biologists Study.  The Biologist allows our doctors to study fallen corpses of our foes in order to learn the weak points and improve our ability to fight them. In short, the reactions have a chance to provide benefits reducing skills of the enemy.  I’ve queued up a bunch of research into orcs and goblins, as they seem to like attacking us.

The Archeologist picks up those random relics and fossils, and randomly turns them into things.  Could be useful, might be junk.  But it’s kind of a nice flavor addition.

That’s it for year 4.  Year five should see use of magic, wells, and more use of advanced workshops.

[

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 01:57:57 am »

Coins require a Mint.
No, they dont. Coins are vanilla DF items that are produced in 500 stacks in the forge. "Other objects" - "coins". The coin mint is just to make larger amounts quickly, and it doesnt require fuel, because it presses/mints the coins, instead of forging them.

One more thing: If you dont find the cult leader, your fortress will crumble. You should have seen some hints in the combat logs by now. I guess when you have tons of dwarves, it gets a bit hectic and you dont always see them.

I will just leave this here: The Purging of Shieldfrenzy - Dwarves vs Cult of the Carp God.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:06:50 am by Meph »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:19 am »

Thanks for clarifying on the mint.  I never find use for coins in Vanilla, so I just assumed I needed the Coin Mint.  At least it got me to build the Alchemist and the Toolmaker and show those additions:).

As for the Carp God, next update features the Temple and wards, and fresh arms and armor were being made over the course of year 4.  I am planning to deal with the fishy scum soon.  Next update should be a bit less rushed.  I wrote this one mostly from notes, as I just finished two other turns between playing year 4 and writing it.  I'll also be giving a full over view to start year five, then trying to finish off the well, start on magic, and get a proper military running.  Time to disrupt the peace a bit!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:42 am »

So after thinking for a bit, I have decided that Ungankor is going to be abandoned.  I have two turns to finish on other forts, a few turns pending, and Meph upgraded some serious portions of the mod.  By the time I get back to this, there will probably be another update and few more SWP releases.  I think the changes to souls, corpses, and religion are big enough that the version of the mod I am planning is somewhat out of date for a tutorial fort.

There is good news, however!  Once I finish up all my other turns, and maybe take a little break from playing so many forts in rapid succession, I will start up a new Masterwork fort, and focus on that for a bit.  It will either be a plain Masterwork fort, or a Warlock fort if that is done by the time I am done with turns I have already committed to.

Thanks for all who have read!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:13 am »

I was hoping you'd delve more into the magick -- that hasn't been covered well in many community forts.  In Silvergoos, the legend +5 priest died of insanity because ... well, oops.  I've had some success with mages who wandered in as migrants and Meph put a lot of work and emphasis on the magic system but it's always seemed to me to be more trouble than it's worth. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)
Pages: 1 [2] 3