Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress  (Read 9390 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 06:27:01 am »

I was hoping you'd delve more into the magick -- that hasn't been covered well in many community forts.  In Silvergoos, the legend +5 priest died of insanity because ... well, oops.  I've had some success with mages who wandered in as migrants and Meph put a lot of work and emphasis on the magic system but it's always seemed to me to be more trouble than it's worth.
Exactly that lack of feedback is the problem I have with balancing them. I dont kow how they handle in a long fort, because I dont have to time to play 10 10-year forts, just to have a slight inclanation of how balanced they are. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 06:30:23 am »

I was hoping you'd delve more into the magick -- that hasn't been covered well in many community forts.  In Silvergoos, the legend +5 priest died of insanity because ... well, oops.  I've had some success with mages who wandered in as migrants and Meph put a lot of work and emphasis on the magic system but it's always seemed to me to be more trouble than it's worth.
Exactly that lack of feedback is the problem I have with balancing them. I dont kow how they handle in a long fort, because I dont have to time to play 10 10-year forts, just to have a slight inclanation of how balanced they are. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 08:14:00 am »

Well, if it’s worth mentioning twice …

☼Cathedral☼ was started as a religious-themed fort so perhaps it will serve as an example of ‘how it can be done.’  The defensive dust cloud thrown around by the earth mage is certainly useful, as it hides him and everyone close by from incoming projectiles.  The rules seem to change quite a bit with each new release and that may be preventing most everyone else from having the data of “ten, ten-year forts” for evaluation.  Just from my limited experience, praying is too “iffy” – possible exception of mood items – and the Bloody Armor is too heavy to be of practical use.  Some of the other mage skills look good in theory but I’ve never been able to skill one up sufficiently between releases.  In ☼Bannerheart☼, the Iron Colossus was one kick-ass defender to be sure; even busted up, he could more than hold his own against a squad of armored Orcs (btw, is it possible to heal/fix those things?) but there’s another way to obtain one in the current release besides praying.  You tend to nerf things when they get too good.   :)  Even with current limitations, souls are still worth the effort but it used to be pretty easy with changelings to have legendary skills.  I stayed with ☼Bannerheart☼ another couple of years after the FPS was fixed because it was such an outstanding fort and it was fun to watch the steel-clad raptors and sauropods make short work of even large invasions.  After a flippin’ year of RL time, I’ve managed to learn the tricks to having a decent military from the get-go (with your early help, thanks for that)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but there’s always something new and interesting in each subsequent release.  The library, for instance, was the best way to train dwarves to great agility (the most useful military skill; armor is good, not getting hit is better) and sufficient armor-wearing to handle the heavy metals.  And skilled soldiers encased in steel are good enough until way late in the game.  The library is still ‘good enough’ with level 5, but I preferred the “slow but sure” rules previously to higher levels.  But then, I like the long game with quasi-historical accuracy and mega-projects while most players are likely “slash and kill” fans. 

When someone demonstrates an effective way to employ all the new magic from scratch, that’ll be one less humongous learning curve and a great help.   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:09 pm »

Bloody armor of Armok is not that heavy anymore. I fixed that right after the Banner of Hearts turn, in which I slowmotion-crawled around in it. ;)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 03:47:56 am »

Those aeromancers combined with undead are some serious shit!  Neither walls nor holes nor roofs held tight can stop the flying armies of night!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii
Pages: 1 2 [3]