Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress  (Read 9288 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

Welcome! 

This is a Masterwork 4e Mod fortress (Dwarf Variety), and I am going to play/post it as an exercise in learning and teaching Masterwork Mod and hopefully provide some entertainment for you guys.  I’m not going to go nuts on in character posts, as there will be a lot to learn and cover as the game gets going, but if you want a dwarf, I am more than happy to dorf you up.  I’ll provide updates about the dorfed as I have time or interesting things happen.

If you are unfamiliar with the Masterwork mod, check out the whole section of the forum devoted to it.  Meph has done a really cool job on this mod.  It is also mind-bogglingly huge.  I may be exaggerating, but I think the mod at least doubles the number of buildings in the game.  It also introduces magic, frost giants, diseases, landmines, guns, and more. 

So much more, in fact, that it’s rather daunting.  The point of this fort is to try and explore as much of the game as possible before death, !!fun!!, clowns, updates or boredom stop me.  With all that said, here is the basic info on my embark:

About the Fort:

I am using Masterwork Mod version 4e, with diseases, warlocks, frost giants and tunneling sieges turned off for now.  I have diseases turned off because they are tad strong at the moment.  All the other features are enabled, including harder smelting, mining, and farming.  I genned a world off a custom Mandelbrot profile with the age turned down to 100 and the embark points jacked up.  Why?  I’m glad you asked.

The most immediately obvious part of Masterworks is the harder farming system.  Put simply, underground crops take a year to grow, above ground crops take about 2 seasons, and die if left going through winter.  So in a base embark the first year can be a bit hairy, and slow.  Because of this, I am bringing a little bit more food, and a few more animals than a normal embark allows for.  I want to make it through the start without huge problems, as this is supposed to be a tutorial/exercise dammit.

So here is what I took with me on embark:

A double ration of starting food and alcohol
    3 Picks
    3 Axes
    6 of each above and below ground seed, with about 20 Plump Helmet Spawns
    3 Mastiffs
    3 Badgerdogs
    3 Changelings
    4 Frill Lizards
    Whatever the hell else is in the starting embark profile, probably some wood, stone and random nest boxes.

I chose an embark with a volcano, a brook, and lots of everything.  Again, this ain’t no single pick challenge, it’s a test fort!  I want to show off all the fun stuff, so I need them big sieges to get there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Without further ado, strike the earth!

Write-ups
Year One - Farms, Caverns and Furniture
Year Two - Research Bedrooms and Bloodsteel
Year Three - Digging down, Building Up, and Moar Farms!
Dorfs
Grimmash - Expedition Leader, Overseer
Meph - Militia Commander
Jimboo - Arcane Dwarf
MuDD - Craftsdwarf

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Umgankor☼: A Masterwork 4e Community Fortress
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:09 am »

Cool idea

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:29 pm »

Posting to watch. Also will take a dwarf, anyone you feel is necessary is fine with me. Male if possible and call him Fergus. :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 05:06:16 am »

If this is a tutorial fort, you might want to mention that MDF allows to change Embark-Points and Number-of-Dwarves as you see fit. :) ''dwarves x'' and ''points x'' in dfhack.

The anvil is a curiousity, as the mod allows to make anvils from bars in the smelter (without the need to bring your own), as well as rock anvils from blocks in the Stonecrafters Workshop.

The mod has about 300 buildings in total, if you count all three races. So about 100 new ones each. Some are similar in use, but its about twice more than the original game. Per race. :)

The Mandelbrot profile he mentioned is one of the included adv. worldgen templates, which I wrote using PerfectWorld. They usually follow a theme, mandelbrot has plenty of volcanoes and wild mixes of good/evil biomes.

And a few words about the four features Grimmash turned off on purpose:
Diseases: Halflings Diseases mod, which introduces 12 real-life diseases. The infectious ones are too virulent atm, so its very hard to manage, but better balancing is being worked on.

Frost Giants: The big bad. A late invader race that attacks in winter, with megabeast sized units, high-grade armor and some AoE frost attacks. Obviously life threatening.

Warlocks: An ambushing race of spellcasters, which can kill dwarves with magic, disregarding their armor or combat skill. Most people dislike them for this, but they carry next to no armor and can be defeated easily with ranged units, traps or units that are immune to magic, like animated weapons or golems. A good forest fire (started on purpose) should scare them off as well. Most likely the next playable race that will be written.

Tunneling Sieges: Expwnent's dfhack plugin allows some invaders to either raze walls or dig into your fort. For example Antmen, which siege from the caverns, can dig; while Frost Giants are large enough to smash your constructed walls.

Grimmash: I would like to request a dwarf, 'Meph', the military commander. A probably short, but glorious life. I would also suggest to use the forumdwarves script to show the unit descriptions. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:12:18 am »

Dorf me up, please.
But … another volcano?  The energy constraint to ☼Masterwork☼ trumps the harder farming, imo.  But hey, magma is the answer to all problems!
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 10:36:17 am »

Meph - Thanks for adding info!  I've been playing Masterwork a bit, and with some of the challenges I have had in understanding parts, I figured a tutorial-ish fort might be nice.  Feel free to call out anything I do wrong.

Jimboo - I was thinking about the ease of having a volcano, but I decided since the point is learning while playing, I wanted to have all options open from the beginning.  Also, since a long term fort will have magma forges anyway, I figured the FPS savings from not having to haul to and from the magma sea outweighed forcing the progression.

I also side-stepped the hardest hurdle in the early game by bringing extra food, but the first turn write-up will talk about considerations regarding a "normal" embark.  I just wanted to make sure I could get to the meat of mod in the form of all the new stuff.

First year write up is in progress.  I'll dorf you both once I start playing again.  I usually make a militia after I have a basic way to seal of my fort and the first first large migrant wave comes, so Meph, you will get dorfed most likely out of the second year migrants.  I suppose I should just reserve the first baby as Timeless Bob, unless he says otherwise :).

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »

Year One - Farms, Caverns and Furniture

Spring

Our new home:

Our starting seven are pretty normal dwarves, with the exception of one arcane dwarf.  While that is not important now, he may become very useful later once we a chance to look into the mystical world of magick.

Moving on, we need to get the usual start going for the fortress.  For me, this means getting some basic space dug out for under ground farms, getting as many animals inside as possible, and getting out stuff off the surface.  Normally I would send my miners a digging, and that is the same I do now.  However, I also immediately get some above ground farm plots going. 

Locally grown food is at a premium in Masterwork.  Above ground crops take two seasons to grow, so anything I plant now will only bear fruit in Autumn one season to grow, and anything that is growing in the winter immediately withers and dies.  This means you have Spring and Summer to plant, Summer and Autumn to harvest.  So I designate five plots above ground, and get my farmers going.  I also put in some basic workshops like the normal Carpenter and Mechanic shops to get beds, bins, barrels, and mechanisms going.

As the initial digging commences, I start moving animals around to more useful locations.  On the embark I brought 3 mastiffs, 3 badgerdogs, 3 changelings, 3 boozebelly goats, and 4 frill lizards.  Let me explain each:

Mastiffs and badgerdogs serve two purposes.  The first is as a basic frontline defense.  They are both much larger and nastier than normal dogs, so they provide a decent earlier deterrence system against thieves, snatchers, and on this map they keep attack raccoons that are hell bent on distracting my dwarves.  Later on they will get war training, and at some point I will try to show how you can create armored animals, which provide an even nastier line of defense.  The second use for the two is a secondary food source.  They breed rather quickly, producing litters, so in a pinch I can use the mastiffs and badgerdogs as a food and leather source.

Changelings are the basis of a lot of transformations and magickal tom-foolery that will come later on in the life of the fortress.  So I brought a breeding stock that I can stick away in a room and get producing now, to ensure plenty of changeling stock for later.

The boozebelly goats provide milk, wool, and meat if needed.  Their cheese can also be turned into alcohol, so they provide an emergency alcohol source if the farms get destroyed, lost, or occupied later.

Finally, the frill lizards are vermin killers.  I took four, and I will dump them on top of my food stocks.  Since I usually end up with a rather large number of food stocks to handle food processing later on, I took enough to start breeding now.

Where do they all go?  At this point in the spring I have a temporary food stock dug out, so the frill lizards go there.  The changelings will chill out until I get a corner to stick them in.  The mastiffs go just outside the entrance, and the badgerdogs go just inside.  I keep a bridge between them.  This will be adjusted later, but provides a double layer of defense.  The goats and horses that came with the wagon will hang out for now as well.  Eventually they will come inside, but I need to breach the caverns for that!

Summer

Summer is mostly uneventful.  I continue digging, and get three migrants.  Two are relatively useless, so they go into the general labor pool.  One however is a Craftman’s Guild dwarf.  This brings up guild dwarves!

There are a bunch of guild castes in Masterwork.  To quote Meph:

“Dwarves can be members of guilds. They do learn skills associated with their guild twice as fast. You either get a migrant that is a guild member, or you have your dwarves join one at the guildhall. This will cost 500 gold and will take 1 ingame week for the dwarf to do his apprenticeship.”

There will be a lot more on this later, but we’ll make sure this dwarf has all of the crafting professions enabled.

We find gold-bearing ore!  Normally I would just reserve this for future smelting, but not now.  As we will see soon, smelting in Masterwork is a bit more involved of a process, and I need stuff to trade for food and booze.  While all my farms are going, they won’t produce food for a while, so I set up a Craftdswarf workshop and set it to produce mugs, and link up a stockpile that only accepts gold-bearing rock.

At this point my miners are busy digging out some exploratory tunnels, getting gold bearing rock, and getting started on bedrooms.  There is a temporary dining room and dorm, but it’s nothing special.  The whole first floor will likely get re-designed later.

Autumn

We breached the caverns!  And boy are they pretty.  Masterwork makes the caverns different, but we’ll get to that later.  For now I will patch up the hole where I breached, and build a stairwell and future access to the cavern layer.

That said, the caverns mean I can get cracking on building out a shelter for the grazing animals.  I dig out some nice large spaces in the sand, and let the cave moss and tress grow for a while.

We got 6 migrants, all of them guild dwarves.  A fisherman, engineer, jeweler, craftman, and two farmer’s guild in total.  While I have no use for the fishers for now, I’ll keep them in mind, as the cavern has water.  The farmers immediately get labors set up to help with farming.  The others I’ll just keep in mind.

On 17th Timber, we see the dwarven caravan arrive!  Time to use all those mugs….

Gold-bearing rock mugs are nice.  I got all the food and booze, cheese, some rope, thread, cloth, leather, and various odds and ends that might help strange mooding dwarves.  Also I got a drake, because that sounds fun, right?  And a parrot for me.  I asked for more food next year.

The liason was a creepy bastard.  I was sleeping in my room and he just stood over my bed…

Work progresses on digging, and my dwarves have been hauling non-stop.  At this point it is time to start planning out the fort a bit more.  The central shaft has been dug.  Bedrooms go roughly 8 levels down.  I like to keep my dwarves isolated from sound after initial construction, so there you have it.  Dining goes above that, followed by various levels of workshops, then near-surface stockpiles.  Because we are going to be digging a lot, I set up some quantum stockpiles for rocks and blocks, and spend most of the rest of autumn letting my dwarves carve out space and smooth out the bedrooms that are currently dug.

Winter

I bet you are wondering when the hell I am going to get into Masterwork structures?  Well, we have a furniture shop, the first new thing!  What is a furniture shop you ask?  It is a simple workshop, taking up a 3x5 space, and it makes complete sets for bedrooms, dining rooms, offices and the like.  It uses blocks of stone, wood, metal, or bone.  It esseantially makes it easier to get whole sets of room furniture so you don’t have to remember “Did I make enough coffers?” and finding out you made way more than you needed a few months later.   Time to crank out furniture for the bedrooms, which are being smoothed and set up as we speak.  I am going to make the furniture out of stone blocks, because we are dwarves dammit.

On 17th Obsidian, the drow appear.  A Drowavan!  We trade more gold-bearing mugs for all sorts of stuff.  Mostly food and drink, and that is what we are missing most.  Edit:  According to Meph this means we have a comparatively wealthy fortress.  Invaders may come soon.

We are still in the early stages of setting up tht fort, so the rest of winter will be digging, building and moving stuff.  The new pastures are mossy, so I move in the above ground animals.  Our livestock is producing well, so if we run into sieges disrupting caravans, we will have spare dogs and goats to butcher.

While digging out so far, I have found a few interesting things you do not normally find:  Wolframite, Chromite, cave fungus, and anthracite.  I am not going to do much with them for now, but they will become useful later on.  Wolframite is a very heavy metal, so I’m thinking we might make some warhammers.  Chromite is chrome rock, so that will likely go into statues and decorations.  Cave fungus has some use I have not explored yet.  And anthracite is super coal, which should come into play next year.

On the docket for year two: research, militia, and more digging!

I have no idea who these guys are, but I think they are stuck in the caverns.  That sounds good to me.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 03:23:00 pm »

Also for those who care, the annual report:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »

Just quickly four things:

An early drow caravan means that you have a wealthy fort. It will cause enemies to become more interested in you as well. I usually prefer some military, before producing high-value goods.

Aboveground crops need one season to grow, not two. You can plant in spring or summer, if you plant in autumn, the plants will wither, and you cant plant in winter.

Fisherdwarves can be useful indoors if you build fishfarms. No need to fish in the dangerous caverns.

Grazers can be fed in the stables, no reason to wait for the caverns... but of course naturaly growing moss is cheaper and requires no management.

Rest looks good. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »

I plan on getting to the fishfarms and stables, in due time.  I think I will try to focus each update on a few things, with length depending on how complex they are.  You can read that as when I go to the first cavern layer, which should be soonish. 

As for military, I'm counting on the next wave or two of migrants to get me some fodder, and to free up some hands.  I assume the drow came due to the old-bearing rock mugs, which were worth quite a bit.  For the moment most dwarves are busy digging, cropping, or hauling.  The plump helmets just started to come in!

I also plan on quoting your manual whenever I think your description is sufficient.  Some things are pretty straightforward, and there is no reason for me to go beyond what you have already taken the time to write.  For other things, I might just describe in ways that make more sense to me, or if I think more explanation is needed.  I'm not knocking the manual, by the way.

As always, your comments are more than welcome!  I'll edit the post regarding crops.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:16:49 pm »

Year Two – Research, Bedrooms, and Bloodsteel

Spring

16th Slate

More migrants have come to our home!  28 migrants, with the following guilds: 1 Jeweler, 2 Carpenter, 1 Legionnaire (Looks like Meph showed up!), 1 Fisherman, 2 Beastwarden, 1 Mason, 2 farmers, 1 Engineer, 1 Merchant, 2 Arcane.  In addition we got a marksman.

With all the new bodies, I have my miners working overtime to try and get bedrooms and a dining hall dug out.  I also drafted our militia, a five man melee squad.  So the miners are digging out a barracks, and the carpenter is working on the armor racks and weapons stands.  I really should have traded for a few mor picks.  Instead I am going ot have the miners sort room for an ore processor, some smelters, and some wood ovens.  Might as well use all this wood!

14th Felsite

Meph has been possessed.  Oh dear.  His highest moodable skill is craftsdwarf, so we shall see what happens.

15th Felsite

Meph grabbed a workshop, so that’s one bolt dodged.  And the elves have come, just as I ordered some mass deforestation.  This ought to be fun.  It appears Meph grabbed three logs of wood.

19th Felsite

Meph made this:

I honestly have no idea what any of that means.  But, good job Meph, you are now legendary in… nothing.  Because you were possessed.  Go back to leading the militia.

I traded with the elves.  I got a lot off cloth, and not much else.  All they had was piles of mithril decorations.  As much as I would love some mithril, we need food, so I will save the mugs for the dwarves in autumn.

Summer

10th Hematite

The Barracks is complete!  Training Begins!

11th Malachite

Our fortress suffers our first death… from sparring.  Etur Bibarobok threw his partner into a weapon rack and killed him.

17th Malachite

In good news, our Ore Processor is built!  The ore processor is the beginning of the new metalworking “tech tree” in Masterwork.

Unlike normal DF, where you just tell a furnace to smelt some ore, and off you go, Masterwork ups the challenge a bit.  You can just smelt ore, but you get terrible efficiency.  To quote Meph:

“The Ore Processor is very important. All mined mineral bearing rock has to be sorted here, into rock, ore and base-minerals.

Its very simple. You mine "gold bearing rock". You "Process gold bearing rock" and you get pure gold ore and some boulders or blocks. The gold ore can now be used in the smelter. You could even smelt the unprocessed ore, but it would result in little outcome and lots of slag.”

So we build the Ore Processor, start sorting, and get to work on a Slag Pit.  The Slag Pit needs two querns, so I have to build those first.

Wait, what’s slag?  Glad you asked.

“Smelting ore also creates a waste product called Slag. These bars clutter up your smelter and should be destroyed in the slagpit or used up as buildmats.”

Clutter is bad, so we need a slag pit.  As a benefit, ore smelting will therefore produce stone blocks we can use to build stuff later.  You can either dispose of slag by thworing it in the pit, or you can combine it with ash or lye to get concrete blocks.  Ash gives 8, lye 20.  That’s nice, in a round-about way.  More work, but more results.

You remember when I talked about anthracite earlier?  I called it super coal.  This is because one unit of anthracite yields 10 units of coke!  Since we are getting ready to start metalworking, I might as well start processing that anthracite in the smelters.

3rd Galena

We had our first birth, Timeless Bobette!

I also missed the migrant wave due to the sparring accident.  We got 12 dwarves, among them an alchemist, a smith, a mason, a carpenter, two more Arcane, and a priest.

18th Galena

The humans have come.

Autumn

We traded for a lot of food and basics.  I hope to expand into the caverns soon, and cease our need for food by trade, but a few things need to be sorted first.

Sazir Fokershomad (the subject of Meph’s possession!) has been taken by a mood.

16th Limestone

Sazir finished his artifact, a gold bearing rock trinket, which our brokers tell me is worth 138000.  That is one hell of necklace.  It doubled the value of our fortress!

18th Limestone

More migrants, 11 this time.  Notable dwarves include another arcane, and another jeweler.  And a forgotten beast!  It was immediately swarmed by troglodytes and killed.  That’s underwhelming.

27th Sandstone

Almost have 100 bedrooms cut out and smoother, with furniture to fit.  We have 70 dwarves, so I hope 100 rooms will see us through the winter.  Now it’s time to show some more new buildings! 

First up is one of the key buildings to unlock the beginning of the madness of Masterwork:  the Researcher’s Study. 

Let’s go over the basics first.  You will need 5 blocks, a journal, and abacus, and an hourglass to build the study.  Each of those rather unfamiliar sounding items can be made at a Craftsdwarf’s workshop, and also at many of the new workshops found in the mod.  Once you have the building, you will find a whole list of interesting reactions, some of which are shown in the shot above.

To quote Meph:

“The Researcher can conduct science. Science is awesome and needed for most buildings. Each field of science will resulst in one unlocked building, and the reactions chain up automatically. All you have to do is to "reserach in the field of...". Each reaction has a 20% chance to fail, so the longer the research chain, the higher the chance to fail. Failed research results will be sifted through, and then either destroyed or used for a 1% chance for a random success.

Once a research is finished, you will get an announcement about the unlocked building. You can even unlock magma-furnaces without the need to discover a volcano/magmalake first.

The Scriptorium can copy research results, enabling you to build more than just one building with each.”

Err, I better build a Sciptorium too!  I don’t want to have to re-research things.

We also have a pair of Breweries!  These wonderful little puppies allow you to brew from specific plants, so no stockpile micromanagement needed!  Actually, you can do this at the distillery too, but it is more efficient here.  The downside is it takes a little bit longer and requires two pots.  You can also see some of the other cool features, like extracting water from booze, making rum from boozebelly cheese, and making fuel.

Another new building is the Gemcutter, which as you can see below makes all sort of things out of gems, allows combining or splitting of gems to go between the sizes, and lets you reclaim some gems from crafted items.  Not sure if I need it yet, but I’m laying out workshops, so I built one.  I imagine I will start using this more once defenses and militia can cope with the staggering increases in wealth it might bring!

15th Timber

The dwarves are here again.  Perhaps this trading season will result in our Village being upgraded!  But what to trade…  I’ll unload the last of the mugs and some gems, I think.

25th Timber

Good news:  Our first results from the Researcher’s study are in:  We have discovered how to make weapons and armor from rocks!

Bad news: A berserking Orc sneak killed a trader, so now the rest are just hanging around doing nothing.  I hope they get it together, we have mugs to trade, dammit!

26th Timber

Instead of trading, the cowards are leaving.  My damn dogs have more courage that those bastards.  Oh well, they should get some better guards.

Winter

I was going to build a forge, but it appears I was wrong, and did not actually bring an anvil.  Normally this would present a grave problem, but in Masterwork the age old question of Anvil Origins is answered:  The Stonecrafter’s Shop.

Here, you can make just about everything you might want, as long as just about everything you want is normally made of stone, and you have blocks instead of rocks.

1st Opal

Another new discovery – the Greatforge!

6th Opal

Now we are talking, we just discovered the secrets of the Blast Furnace!

I’ll be looking at these two buildings more when I finish off the housing situation and get some armor made up.  I’ll also take this opportunity to take about research a little more.  When you complete a discovery, you get a (Research Supplies) Rare Science Discovery (NAME) item, that is listed under Tools.

These are blueprints, one-shot consumed materials when you build the workshop.  To allow yourself the ability to keep making more, you can do one of two things:  Research it again, or make copies of the blueprint in the Scriptorium.  As you can see from the shot above, I made 3 copies of the Blast Furnace blueprint, because I will want a few of those.

To make copies, you’ll need to do a few things.  First, make some jugs.  This can be done at many vanilla and modded workshops.  Then, make ink.  You can make ink from dye, ash, blood, or graphite.  You also need some paper.  There are a lot of ways to make paper.  You can use leather, wood, plants or cloth.  I made mine at the Tailor’s Workshop.

Oh yeah, the Tailor’s workshop is a lot like the furniture workshop, but it makes sets of clothes!  In can also unravel cloth, and make sets of leather armors too.  Another nice little time saver!

Back to research, once I get my ink, my paper, and my blueprint, I use the Scriptorium to make copies.  That’s not all it does, but we will talk about books and other stuff like libraries and skill training later.

13th Obsidian

Possession!  A mason has claimed a workshop.

16th Obsidian

Another drowavan comes.  Let see what we can trade for. 

21st Obsidian

The mason made a cabinet.  Not bad. 

We also finished trading.  I got more food, more booze, cloth, and quite a few suits of Bloodsteel armor, mail shirts, helms and razorshields from the drow.  That should help arm the militia for the time!  Bloodsteel is a lot like steel, except that I just bought a whole bunch instead of crafting it.  I also got a bunch of wolverines, predatory cats and drowspiders.  Why not have a menagerie of highly dangerous and questionable animals?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that’s the year!  Let’s take a tour of the fort again, from the top down.

The entrance looks much the same, although I am slowly moving things down into relevant stocks.  As you can see I have expanded the farms significantly, in order to hopefully break free of the need to trade for food.

Here we have some basic stockpiles and puppy raising areas.  Snooze. 

Next is the stone and metal works.  You can see the larger furniture shops, slag pit and ore processor.

This is the start of the research wing, which be expanded greatly as time goes on.  So far it’s just the Researcher’s Study and the Scriptorium, and stocks to supply them.

Bedroom floor one!  Rooms for one hundred dwarves.  My room has the parrot cage, if you were wondering.  Another floor is being carved out below, for more new residents.

Finally, the dining room, under construction.  Four wings to start, and I may add more.  I hope to have a table for every dwarf, and to fill the alcoves with artifacts and statues.

The year in review:

Dorfs are dorfed, I’ll put them up in the main page post.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:35:31 am »

''Meph requests a gem-made twohanded sword. Gemforge + Greatforge can do nice things.''

It appears that you are playing with phoebus, which results in a few building tiles to look odd. For example the ( and the crown in the researchers lab, they would be the hourglass and the abacus that are mentioned in the build mats, if you play with the MDF tileset.

There seem to be two wrong tilenumbers in the inorganics for Phoebus. Could you please tell me the name of the rock that looks like boulders (on the dining room screenshot), and the rock that looks like minecart-tracks (on the bedroom screenshot to the right)? I can fix those then. :)

And congrats on 70 dwarves and 300k wealth in two years, without having any major battles. Hope the luck stays :)

PS: The recruit slighlty taps the target. The target slams into an obstactle and dies. :D

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:04:52 am »

I had asked the drow for some bloodsteel, and boy did they deliver!  That should help, as will the new entrance I am making.  At this point i keep expecting some sort of siege.  I also plan to somehow weaponize the wolverines and drowspiders i traded for.  So far those drow have done more to help the security of the fortress than the dwarves, so i may dedicate first squad to eventually being the First Drow Irregulars.

The progression of this fort is interesting.  The number of migrants has had me focused a lot on rooms and food.  The next turn should hopefully see minting, guilds, a bit more metal forging, and the surface defenses getting an overhual.

I am really hoping to eventually have some Earth Mages dual wielding Greatforge weapons, turrets, and maybe some landmine launchers.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:20 am »

Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:30:41 am by Jerbot »
Pages: [1] 2 3