Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KeyWork of The Imprisoned Quakes - Taming the Ocean  (Read 1868 times)

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
KeyWork of The Imprisoned Quakes - Taming the Ocean
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:21:14 pm »

Hello fellow dorfs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E15IC3YKv8g

I've decided to share a megaproject that I've been working on since late December '12 (on and off). It was inspired by the infamous WhaleShoots (I can't seem to find a link to it, would be grateful if someone could point out where that thread is).
Here's the current save of the project for those interested in exploring the fort or using it to further !SCIENCE!
The savegame itself
DF map archive

It isn't fully completed (need furnishing here and there, and I haven't decided what to do with HELL itself yet), but it's close enough.

The Idea;
When I started this fort, I had set myself a goal. Build a fort in the ocean itself! One capable of both providing for the population, and destroying it in one fell swoop.
To increase the challenge I found a 4 z-level ocean to initiate my build, though I must admit that I regret not doing this in a zombie infested biome to make things even harder.

Pump Ring Methood (failed);
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obsidian Casting Methood (succeeded);

Constuction of the Fort;

Removing the Obsidian Cast;

Regaining Cavern Control After Decades of Neglegt;

Defeating the HFS (Webbing);

Dorfs of Interest;

I find it interesting that after I webbed so many megabeasts, I've noticed an increase of megabeasts appearing that are completely trap-avoidant (aka have the webbing ability themselves).
Some even have a different ability mentioned as their main one but still have webbing as a secondary (had a giant spider attack that had 'beware it's blood' property but still it could web.

This of course means my military has more !FUN!

The Fort's Diningroom (yes, that's caged HFS & FB's decorating an underwater diningroom);

Graveyard that I set up to honor the builders, built of glear glass and rose gold with platinum coffins encrusted with diamonds of the highest quality!;

Random Statistics;

Age of Fort: 35 years
Casualties of the Project: Around 60
Cage Traps used: 2469
Floodgates used: 1172
Floor Grates used: 419
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 12:56:53 pm by Nooooooo »

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: KeyWork of The Imprisoned Quakes - Taming the Ocean
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »

Good work, Awesome,  :). Gosh, hearing how hard it was for you makes me so glad I opted to postpone my adventures into underwater cities early on (How was I supposed to know my dwarves would keep landing the wagon right on top of the frozen ocean almost immediately before we entered the thawing time of year.  A few tiles to the left and we would have lived, ::)) Nonetheless, I'm glad to see someone do so well.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Nooooooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:19:18 am »

Very nice! Have you considered uploading it to the Df Map Archive?
Sorry about the slow reply, studying for exams.

I uploaded it to the map archive for you, here it is;
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11944-keywork

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

Going to take a look at it tomorrow :)