Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: The Bestiary, a repository of user created creatures  (Read 23864 times)

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
The Bestiary, a repository of user created creatures
« on: December 10, 2013, 01:59:08 pm »

The idea behind this, is somewhat the same behind the world gen cookbook threads. To provide a valuable resource for gamers. In essence if you have a particularly vicious/ridiculous/explosive/insert adjective,  creature you can post its raws in this thread for others to copy into their raws. If you've ever played Spore, you'll know what I mean. Spore is a game made by Maxis, where the player creates his own alien species and guides it to success against other species created by other players.

Ideally, this thread should act as a middle ground between vanilla, and modded games.

This is for those who want to add a little diversity to their worlds.
This is for those who don't have the time nor energy to make a full fledged mod, yet want to share their creations.
This is for those who have run out of ideas, but don't want to download a completely alien world.

A couple of RULES:

Try and set out your post in the way I've done below. This will keep the thread clean and orderly (bet you'd never thought you'd see those adjectives in a dwarf fortress forum)

If you want to add a new creature, edit your original post. It's ok to ignore this if you run out of room, or if the thread starts to die and you make something reall groundbreaking.

Remember to describe what your creature is/does.

You may provide an entity raw to go with your creature, however if the entity uses any items which are not present in vanilla, you must provide those as well.

Finally, ALL known bugs must be reported. While your contributions don't have to work flawlessly, you must inform us of any problems with you're creatures.

Here's my Shrykes as an example;

Creature Raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entity Raws

Bugs: None

Comments: They're a race of evil chickens on steroids, somewhat inspired by the Edgeworld chronicles. They're theives, but they're not skulking vermin. They're about a head taller than your average human and faster too. They are very deadly in unarmed combat, due to their powerful bite.  They build cities and fortress, like humans and as such you can visit their sites. This makes for some interesting gameplay, as you can have battles between the two factions, by leading troops into enemy towns/fortresses. All in all, a valuable addition, I can't imagine my dwarf fortress game without them.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:47:29 pm by Prudent Viper »
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bestiary, a repository of user created creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:31:54 am »

In keeping with the OP's listing of a bird civ, here are my personal mod's mundane birds. They mostly fly around, giving the hunters something to shoot at. The birds of prey are all trainable for hunting;  the eagles are also war trainable, which would be great if friendly birds could fly.  ;)

Big birds:

red-tailed hawk
goshawk
bald eagle
golden eagle
gyrfalcon
saker falcon
condor
prairie chicken
capercaillie
sage grouse
gull
toucan

Vermin birds:

blue-chested hummingbird
red-tailed comet
ruby-topaz hummingbird

Note 1: in my personal mod, the generic eagle becomes the imperial eagle found in Eastern Europe. The giant eagle is still based on the original eagle.
Note 2: to use the sage grouse, you'd need to mod in some sagebrush plants as well, as they're panda-like in their diet.
Note 3: the raws were too big for the post. Per darkpaladin's suggestion below, I uploaded the file to dffd:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8205
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:29:05 am by gentgeen »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:03:40 am »

Note 3: the raws were too big for the post.
You could upload the raw's to Dwarf Fortress File Depot and post a link.
EDIT: I'l post one of the creatures I made, the water men. It's not as good as the rest of these, since I'm not very good at modding yet, but I'l upload it here anyways.
Raws:
They're mostly based on a poem in the country I live in, as well as what I read about them on wikipedia.. They strongly resemble humans, and as their name implies, they're water dwelling. They live for far longer than humans, making their lairs in rivers and lakes. They kidnap people, taking them back to their lairs. The name is simply a translation of the name they have in our language. A lot of their raws are copied from humans, dwarves and a tiny bit from goblins, since I wasn't sure how good I'd be at making them from scratch.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:31:17 am by darkpaladin109 »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »

I'm working on two creatures that could go in the repository at the moment. Neither is ready to post, though.

The one I'm willing to talk about is centaurs. They are basically just plain generic fantasy centaurs. Males have elk horns, though.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:35 am »

I love the idea of this, I'll try to get up a creature I made by noon.

EDIT: I present you the Dune Crocodile!
EDIT2:And here is the Venomous Ice Lion:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:08:20 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:16:22 pm »

Are the creatures in this available for use? I'll post in mine later.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 07:06:16 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean by that, short answer... yes? That's pretty much the point of the whole thread.

Some nice ornithilogical diversity there along with... dune crocodiles? Yeah, of course. Crocodiles love deserts for their dry nature and complete inhospitality to crocodiles. Or maybe these are rogue crocodiles, crocodiles who are hiding from crocodilian justice and so had to flee the swamps. But if you have a problem, and you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A team Dune Crocodiles!

Joking aside, this is shaping up to be very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:53:06 pm »

I've made a bunch of creatures and working on two undead entitites, one 'friendly', wont trade with you but wont rip your spine out...unless you upset them, need to delete one tag, and one sneaky baby eaters. I've got 3 'dragons', 1 megabeast 2 cave dwellers. a bunch of 'manimals', *cough* furries *cough*,got tired of seeing x head on human body. And some cold weather versions of animals that I'm going to post now.

Snow normal/giant Tiger and Lion, mammoth, it's a giant harry elephant that should be sheerable, and a 'wooly' rhino same as mammoth.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:57:39 pm by locustgate »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:00:26 pm »

I'm a bit hesitant to share this, but here is my first custom creature. Technically creatures, but they both go together.

I've been working on this on-and-off since I first started learning to mod, and I'm still not too sure of how well it is balanced. Anyways, here is my demonic, skeletal creature, The Muerta.

Spoiler: The creatures. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: A special interaction. (click to show/hide)

Bugs:
None that I'm aware of. Clean errorlog.

Though they tend to lose limbs easily, since they don't have any flexible materials such as muscle to hold them together.

Comments:
The Muerta dwells deep beneath the magma-sea, past the thick layers of semi-molten rock. It is a skeletal creature that resembles a four-armed man with a large tail that it stands on in place of legs. It is made of only bone and a thick, shell-like armour.

Their bodies are constantly freezing cold and they are surrounded by a mist that will permanently blind anyone that comes into contact with it. They have large claws that can easily tear through iron armour, while their own natural armour plating can turn away most weaponry. They do have one weakness, though. Every new moon they will freeze in place, becoming nothing more than a totem-pole until the moon transitions into a new phase.

Occasionally, one of these creatures may escape their subterranean prison, and take positions of royalty in nearby lands.

EDITED ON 01/01/14: Altered the Muerta's interaction so that it will no longer be attacked by the undead, and changed the tissue shape of the mist so that edged attacks will now affect it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:29:41 pm by BlackFlyme »

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 01:19:26 am »

Tentacle parasites! just picture a big octopus with pointy teeth and too many mouths and tentacles. It has two "stinger" arms that it can use to infest it's victims.  The infected will go through a number of painful symptoms over a period of around a month, after which they will transform into a parasite spawner and bring more beasties into the world to continue the cycle. Lives in caverns in evil biomes. Their teeth are sharp as bronze!

Spoiler: the creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: body parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inorganic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: interactions (click to show/hide)

bugs:
none, as far the errorlog goes. I haven't had a chance to test them in fort mode though, so I don't know if something weird happens there.

comments:
this was one of the first creatures I tried to make, so some parts of it are kind of messy, but it's playable. I've cleaned it up a lot, but I'll update it as i think of ways to improve it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:56:30 am by twentytentacles »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 03:57:12 am »

Yeah, of course. Crocodiles love deserts for their dry nature and complete inhospitality to crocodiles.
They actually do  :P

Edit: When I make another creature, do I need to add it to my previous post, or create a new one?
Apparently I'm blind...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:01:47 am by Lord_lemonpie »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 12:17:17 pm »

This is cool.  I guess I'll post some of my things here (taken from the Advanced Modding Tutorial mod).

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:45:51 pm »

This is all really, really cool. Venomous lions are a must have for any world I gen now. The tentacle monster looks good too, but I might drop the probability of conversion down to 60 when I play with them, to give me a reason not just to kill infected straight away.
The Muerta is also brilliant, and the fact that it has the POWER tag... just amazing. If it became king of a dwarf civ, could lead to blind migrants.
Mammoths are good in any game, I'm surprised they're not in DF already.
IndigoFenix, those are some very radical additions, and you've got a lot of impressive interactions, my personal achilles heel.

Yes, it's better to edit your original post, but if you run out of space I'm ok if you make a new one. This just keeps the raws towards the beginning of the thread, and so more accessible. If you've made something new and you want people to notice, you can "bump" the thread, and make a new post, as long as you keep your raws in your original post.

Ombragon

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLEEQUICK][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 04:13:23 am »

The great devourer will really be hungry or not ? For now it seem that only Grazers and citizens eat and it is carnivore

EDIT: Actually, It is a citizen with the [CAN_SPEAK]

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:27 am »

Where do I place the interactions?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7