Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Bestiary, a repository of user created creatures  (Read 23934 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The Bestiary, a repository of user created creatures
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 11:51:46 pm »

Ooh, I have a file for just such creatures!

It includes the following:
    Gnu: an easter-egg for Linux enthusiasts - [PREFSTRING:association with free software]
    Snow leopard and saber-toothed tiger (+ giant and humanoid variants): Reasonable replacements for the giant tigers of the savannah, for those who like giant war cats but prefer cold climates.
    Mammoth: A snowbound equivalent of the elephant. Shearable.

Arboreal octopus (+ savage Kraken variant): The Pacific Tree Octopus. Can grasp and learn skills. Valuable pet. Rainbowy.
    Kraken (for the sea)
    Reverse dwarf: A horrible abomination wandering the caverns - a dwarf which has been turned entirely inside-out. He'll smack you with his own brain.
    Piranhamoose: From Wondermark. Combines the horrors of both carp and skelk. War trainable.

I also added some of the creatures from Brogue, including the bloat (flying bladders of explosive/toxic gas), the centipede (venomous, multi-segmented), the tentacle horror (extremely high health regen and lots of grasping parts - bring axes), and the wraith (think fast, aggressive, pack-hunting crundles that flee upon taking damage and hound enemies - also, giant claws).

The files are more than 40,000 characters, so I've uploaded them to DFFD here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:05:11 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 12:42:09 am »

I do find it interesting seeing the different ways people have gone about doing the same thing.  For example I wasn't aware you could define interactions so early in the raw on your dragonmen, I thought it had to be after the materiel definitions.  And I'm sure other people have worked out different ways to do the griffon I posted above too, probably without needing the extra file.  Everybody writes their raws differently, some stuff may be done in the most basic way, but there might be some hidden tricks in even the most mundane looking raw file.
I like to put special attacks right at the start because that's usually the least cluttered part of an entry. Those tend to be the most edited part of a given creature, and need to be somewhere I can find them easily. To be honest, I didn't know of any reason you couldn't put anything any old place.

Here, have another creature before I disappear for two weeks. God I miss WoW.
Spoiler:  Here's the Beef (click to show/hide)
The Taurash are closer to Warcraft's Tauren than the local minotaurs or minotaurassi, and is half the size of either. I can confirm they work, but have had zero time to test them and will not be able to post findings for some time, you're on your own with this one. I don't like how easy it is to cripple them by dehoofing them, I'll be working on that while I'm away and might just go with a normal foot.
It's worth mentioning they have a natural attack that uses the whole head to inflict blunt damage. It works wonders and is now standard issue on all races. It turns a dwarven skull into a bone warhammer, and nothing can take this attack away from you that won't kill you anyway. Try it, satisfaction guaranteed.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 03:30:55 pm »

My version of the Chimera I created a couple years ago: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6506

Here's the old thread where creature raws can be found if for some reason you don't want to just download it.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111544.0

Loosely based off this bad boy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRSKMUF1PU8

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:48 am »

I've got the Last Breath, or Ulolgasol in dwarfish:

Ulolgasol are, essentially, a colony-living cavern monster. Think an ass-blaster from tremors, but larger, with four eyes and four wings more reminiscent to a bat's connecting to both the shoulder and hip joints, with stubby, two-clawed limbs holding it off the ground when not airborne. They're fast, venomous, extremely aggressive, and tough.

No known bugs with them currently. Certainly a good reason to not expose your fortress to the caverns, though, because as soon as they see an entrance they will take it, and dwarves will die. The move/attack speed split and climbing in the next version will be making these guys a lot more interesting.

I have other mods I've written and still use, but three of them are more than just little beasties to post here and the rest I'm not yet satisfied with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »

I made these guys as an antagonist race, they fit the bill perfectly.
The Ashurans are a race of large four-armed reptilian humanoids. They're total jerkasses and make perfect babysnatchers. They lay eggs in such numbers that you're probably not going to see them get displaced by the offspring of whoever they kidnap. The extra set of arms is incredibly useful for everything from wrestling, carrying items when you don't have a container, and generally getting the upper hand(ha ha ha).
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 12:41:46 am »

Does anyone like Dark Souls? I tried to recreate a couple of creatures from it. Bump, by the way. It's a shame this thread doesn't see more traffic.

Spoiler: Demons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Seath's Creatures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Man Eater Shell (click to show/hide)

No known bugs, and the errorlog is clean. I believe that the bodies are all vanilla ones. If not, it will be corrected when noticed.

Demons. Bat Demons, Capra Demons, Centipede Demons, Stray Demons, and Taurus Demons. The bats are the only ones that can fly. Centipedes are basically giant, fiery hydras. Stray demons have an uncommon firesage caste that can throw fire around. Strays also have wings, but cannot fly.

Seath's Creations. Pisaca, crystalline golems, crystal dragons, and moonlight butterflies. Pisaca are like snakes with octopi for heads, and have a sharp tongue they can gore you with. Crystalline golems have an uncommon golden caste that is slightly larger and is made of more valuable crystal. The golems can be butchered into gemstones. Crystal dragons have three tails, and a crystalline tissue that gives their lower body and tails some protection. Moonlight butterflies are not really anything special, just giant horned butterflies that can be found in good forests.

The final creature is the giant Man-Eater Shell, which can be found in any savage ocean or lake and in the first two caverns. They can be butchered for a rough pearl. It is protected by both shell and chitin, to make it a bit more durable.

I have also made some sprites to go with them.

The only graphics issue I have noted is that the golden crystal golem looks more green than it does gold. The regular one is fine though.

EDIT: Altered the graphics slightly, and the golems should appear a bit better now. I also gave the butterfly the ability to shoot its ichor as an attack.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:33:45 pm by BlackFlyme »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 08:07:08 pm »

Here's a great white shark civ I made, haven't tested them in fortress mode.

Tell me if there's any bugs.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »

I'd love to see this thread become part of the Wiki in it's own sub-pages complete with raws data.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »

how do I post? I have a semi-working serpentine race I want to put in.

Talik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »

Above, the creature. Below, the colors needed for them to work properly.
and below, the eyes.
And below, the entity.
Now, some info.
The Bazlin'kizaur are a serpentine humanoid race of aggressive, tall, powerful warlike people.
Also, its not quite finished, its pretty rough, and the entity file is just an edited dwarf entity.
But its still a nice race with scales and all the other serpentine thingamajigs, so it should do OK.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:53:48 pm by Talik »

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:MAZDA]
[DESCRIPTION:A horsless wagon built of aluminum and glass, ready for crash testing! You feel neither safe nor sound!]
[NAME:mazda:mazdas:mazda]
[CASTE_NAME:mazda:mazdas:mazda]
[CREATURE_TILE:'#'][COLOR:4:0:1]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[BODY:WAGON]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:2500000]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[TRADE_CAPACITY:15000]
[SEMIMEGABEAST][DIFFICULTY:3]
[ATTACK_TRIGGER:30:3000:30000]
[NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION]
[NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT]
[NO_DIZZINESS]
[NO_FEVERS]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[MEANDERS]
[MOUNT_EXOTIC]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[SPHERE:METALS]
[SPHERE:WEALTH]
[NOT_LIVING]
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
[BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[NOFEAR]
[PREFSTRING:saftey ratings]
[PREFSTRING:catchy commercials]
[NOBONES]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[SPEED:15]
[TISSUE:ALUMINUM]
[TISSUE_NAME:aluminum:aluminum]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:ALUMINUM]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:ALUMINUM]
[ITEMCORPSE:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:SCRAP_METAL]
[ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:2]
[LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:100]

I don't know what went into my mind making this.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 01:05:54 pm »

I present the terrible spimmator a bronze creaute of horror!
When in fights it likes to kick heads in or just bite you in half.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »

sorry about this guys but....

I call the from the depths of thy forum. arise and share thy knowledge all the land.
(dramatic thunder)
(the thread shudders and begins to move) :o

im new here and i just had to necro this. i cant mod beyond adding a few tags   
(though i hope to learn more soon. im hoping it wont be to hard since i have experience in HTML)

its hard to find any good creatures here. (or im just that noobish and have over looked them an absurd number of times)
im afraid i don't have to much to contribute save for a link to another thread i found with some good ones.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118511.210

soooo sorry about that. i hope its useful enough to make up for the necro. if it doesn't survive for a while this time i guess i will just let it die....PLEASE KEEP IT GOING UNTILL I GAIN ENOUGH SKILL TO ADD MY OWN! PLEASE!

ahem....
carry on. 8)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 05:58:54 pm »

I've got some Eragon based creatures and entities up in dffd, but the werecats are bugged. (When they transform, everything around them transforms with them.)
The link:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9475
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »

Oh, Deepspace, I meant to tell you, I updated my mountain dragon to be less pushover-y. Also, it had a few things wrong with it to begin with. Do you want the updated raws?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7