I did not ignore the poll.
- 3 (15%)
I paid attention to the poll.
- 7 (35%)
Wut.
- 10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod  (Read 8090 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Freehold - Civ Diversity Mod
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 04:31:36 pm »

I can't decide on a trigger for giving the cultists [CRAZED]. I know the game keeps track of how much death a creature has witnessed. The only problem is I can't figure out how to link COMBATHARDNESS as a trigger to giving a race a syndrome (it probably requires DFhack) and that invaders don't seem to be on the map long enough to accumulate significant points towards COMBATHARDNESS.

Any suggestions as to how to make this happen? Should I even bother to do this berserk thing?

Anyway, some details on the next update. First off, loads of new weapons. Some will just be for variety and won't affect gameplay much (just being foreign equipment functionally equivalent to stuff you can already make) and some will require balancing. Armor and shields, however, will be getting a large functional overhaul. In addition to there being more types of each, the more protection you get the more weight an armor/shield will have, meaning that you'll have to start making decisions about whether you want light or heavy infantry. Pro tip: Light infantry who  survive for long enough to be decently trained should probably be transferred to heavy infantry.

Anyway, I've also been doing a lot of thinking about new features to add to the mod alongside or after the lore. Alongside the lore, we can make new dialogue options for adventure mode (not that we're playtesting adventure mode, so enjoy that imbalance, probably) new engravings and whatnot.
After the lore's done, I'm thinking of adding new creatures/megabeasts. I've already added a a few non-sentient creatures (they're snails) and I will probably continue to do so. The idea would be not to add redundant creatures - all new creatures added should be useful to domesticate, challenging to kill, or both. Megabeasts I think will all get breeding ability to make them show up more and a few new types, along with a small nerf to compensate if necessary.

Anyway, enough musing. I want to know what you guys think! Next release might be a while coming - I bet you're tired of releases being frequent, but inadequately bug-tested and not adding enough new features. It's also just a fairly busy time of year for me, so there's that.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »

Under what circumstances do you want them to go beserk?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »

Under what circumstances do you want them to go beserk?

I'm basically trying to make a set timer - the more they kill (or witness killing) the closer to berserking they become.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »

Mhm... the closest I could do is use a series of interactions to basically make it a set timer from when they enter battle to the time that they go beserk.  Now, if we knew how much the combat hardness stat incremented up, it would be another story.  But sadly, I don't.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 06:40:25 pm »

Mhm... the closest I could do is use a series of interactions to basically make it a set timer from when they enter battle to the time that they go beserk.  Now, if we knew how much the combat hardness stat incremented up, it would be another story.  But sadly, I don't.

I know it exists, and the numbers behind it, but I don't know if the game keeps track of it on anyone but your dwarves. I also don't know if it's possible to link it reaching a certain point to triggering an interaction.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »

It is possible. I'm experimenting with an alcohol deprivation rage mechanic. Though you bring up a good point: the game almost certainly doesn't track it for other creatures...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 04:32:13 pm »

Well, no luck on the cultists yet. I think I'll go ahead and start the weapons/armor release without their berserking feature, although it might be possible to add in the future.
Another thing I'm considering is allowing more races to construct roads, fortresses, walls and tombs. This is mainly to make the world more exciting for adventure mode, but it also helps make the world feel a lot more detailed.

EDIT: Since we're probably going to have to restart in DF2014, I think there's no point in not doing the following - all races forced to live in sites visitable in adventure mode.
So, in the next version, all races will build cities, towns, forts, walls and tombs. Not to mention roads and bridges, to make traveling between cities a bit more streamlined. I'll see if it's possible to do this while confining Elves to the forests and Dwarves to the mountains. Let's see what happens with that, shall we?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:06:38 pm by MDFification »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:15 am »

Well, I've got exams and other such nightmares to complete these next two weeks. After that, updates will resume.

V1 will be released soon! It includes all races currently finished (if not tested enough) and all non-gunpowder weapon updates. Subsequent releases will add new creatures, reactions and game balancing, if not more ambitious projects.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 09:47:35 am »

Haven't updated in a while, so I'll clarify the status of this mod: The next release kind of removes a lot of what it did, so I'll be rebuilding it in DF2014 from scratch.
Freehold v2 (although I never really released a compelted v1) will focus on performance upgrades, adding difficulty in fortress mode through race addition, and trying to add artifacts to increase already-present cultural diversity
So, until then, not much will really happen in this thread. Sorry 'bout that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:54:46 am by MDFification »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:34 am »

At long last, update!

Freehold 40.18 is now underway, and significant changes have been made. The mod has, upon reevaluation of its effects on game balance, been completely rebooted. Version 0.1 should be ready in a few days if my exams or essays don't get in the way.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:42 am »

At long last, update!

Freehold 40.18 is now underway, and significant changes have been made. The mod has, upon reevaluation of its effects on game balance, been completely rebooted. Version 0.1 should be ready in a few days if my exams or essays don't get in the way.
Yaaay :D! Good luck with your exams!

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 10:40:41 am »

By the way, I don't know if the High elf issue you posted is a holdover form the old version or not, but I've read that entities will simply not build structures on glaciers. They may show up on the world map as settlements but if you go there as an adventurer, there will be nothing there. Try testing them out as they currently are, just in a milder biome, and see if the issue persists.

And best of luck with your exams!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 11:07:53 am »

By the way, I don't know if the High elf issue you posted is a holdover form the old version or not, but I've read that entities will simply not build structures on glaciers. They may show up on the world map as settlements but if you go there as an adventurer, there will be nothing there. Try testing them out as they currently are, just in a milder biome, and see if the issue persists.

And best of luck with your exams!

Thanks!

The settlements are definitely there because I reclaimed one - the site type was your average dwarven npc fort. Strangely though, the entirety of the fort was full of leather/bone goods but none of the metal they're supposed to be able to produce for free in the magma forges they have downstairs...
Perhaps the game can be forced to spawn starting settlements but the entity AI will still refuse to build new ones. I do have it set so that the High Elves value expansion onto the glacier 3x higher than expansion into the local tundra since I'm planning on giving the adjacent tundra to another in-development civ (no spoilers yet) and I wanted adventurers to have an incentive to trek into an inhosipital environement looking for frozen tombs. Maybe they're endlessly attempting to settle the glacier and incapable of realizing the game won't let then, so the AI never seeks the less preferable but actually possible other option.
I'm reversing the weights so that they prioritize tundra over glacier now and seeing what happens.

EDIT: Or I would if the game would allow me to spawn High Elves in the first place. When I was trying to give them a higher starting population I must have screwed it up somehow so that they're always passed over for civ placement in worldgen. I'm gonna play around with this some more then maybe do actual work.
EDIT2: Changing their starting and settlement biomes to something other than the glacier doesn't seem to be causing them to spawn so yeah, I messed something up with civ placement priorities when I tried to give them more starting population. Which just goes to show; never assume you know was a piece of RAW means if you haven't looked it up in the token library.  :P
EDIT3: Just noticed this, but the search function on embark discounts low-savagery glacier tiles when its searching for low-savagery areas. I feel like this could have something to do with this, since civs can't spawn in savage biomes and the glacier's savagery is being ignored by the game. Wish I'd kept some of the older, functioning gens to see if most of the forts that I did succeed in spawning were located on the extreme edge of the glacier and in fact overlapped into the tundra biome in some way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:36:08 am by MDFification »

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 11:22:03 am »

Clearly I've been misinformed, then. My apologies. If that is the case that settlements can be built on glaciers, I can expand some of my arctic civs up there as well!
Pages: 1 [2]