Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 269242 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:19 am »

Just out of curiosity, why do you want me to do my turn on the old thread?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:39 am »

Just out of curiosity, why do you want me to do my turn on the old thread?
Poor wording on my part. When I said "this thread" meant this thread.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 02:23:41 am »

Heh. So, Steelhold lives once again. And it's great. Just remember that not even single leader of this bizarre place has survived for a long time. You better not to try and lead former inmates if you want to live a long and healthy life.  ::)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:31 pm »

I'm fairly sure the only way to survive being an overseer after your turn is to sleep with the next overseer. 100% of Overseers who've survived a full year after taking their turn have done so.

---

This is the Journal of Emdief, located in the Museum of Crime and Punishment. The writing is crisp and neat. There are, remarkable for a dwarf text, no spilled alcohol or blood on the paper. Sections of the journal are speculated to be calculated lies.

Undated

My clients made their first request today. The mechanisms I'm to provide might just be the smallest ever furnished. Demands for beautification of the product implies that at least one of the clients is a noble. Access to large funds for the purchasing of rare resources implies that either the group has access to the treasury or foreign backers.
Will tread with caution. Told them they'd have to find their own mountain gnome - I'm a mechanic, not a zoologist.

Undated

Offered a job by my clients. Their former engineer is implied to be fired, though not explicitly stated as such. Makes sense to me. Why employ a mechanic who can't build the mechanisms their design requires?
Mountain gnome abducted from zoo this week, according to one of the guards. Official sources suspect the Elf Party. It's probably my clients - the Elf Party hasn't been active here for some time.

Undated

The project my clients have undertook is, to say the least, interesting. Nature is a great designer, creating both simple and complex solutions, but has some notable inefficiencies. The need to save energy prevents the usage of many performance-increasing processes. Inefficient levers are used - just look at your arms. Materials that could improve the body's function greatly are discarded due to scarcity.
Uncertain as to the practical application of this project, however. Can't imagine a dwarf  undergoing this surgery and taking these substances of their own violation. It's neither pleasant nor aesthetically pleasing.
Client group disturbed. Apparently, one of their former associates was carted off to some prison out in the provinces. I think I've figured out who specifically amongst the nobility is backing this project - it goes very high up indeed. Must tread carefully.

Undated

Told to alter mechanisms for usage in a dwarven body today. Probably best to go along with it. Must take care to avoid becoming a loose end.
Saw the corpse they were operating on. Looks fresh. Oddly, no report of a dwarf gone missing in the fortress.
Clients are increasingly agitated. Pestering me to make the project more presentable. I doubt that that's possible. Replacing these organs is never not going to involve gore and chronic pain. Nor is it possible for me to completely regulate behavior of the subject with purely mechanical means. Funding appears to be drying up. Not surprised.
Taking the precaution of removing documentation that could indicate criminal behavior on my part.

Undated

Called in to fix broken surgical machinery. Noticed operation was commencing on unconscious dwarf. Assured he was a volunteer, despite never expressing interest in how he wound up on the operating table. Troubling.
Funding has been massively decreased. They've abruptly found new places to conduct their experiments. I have taken the precaution of arming myself. I'll keep providing their mechanisms so long as the money's good.

Undated

The writing is scribbled, as if written very quickly.
Clients appear to be arrested. List of their crimes published. Glad I kept my distance from subject acquisition.
Doubtless guards are aware of my involvement. Mechanisms clearly my handiwork. Confident no evidence of me being involved in the planning of the project or the experimentation will be found. Considering leaving town; don't think the guards will care much that they can't prove I did more than sell them materials.
Backers of the project apparently let off and record of their involvement destroyed. I hope they never find out I know who did it. That kind of blackmail potential could get one killed.

Undated

Informed by captain of the guard that if I don't leave the fortress, I'll suffer an unfortunate accident. Specifically falling down the stairs and into a pile of spears. Not very subtle, our captain.
Only one expedition leaving the fortress within the next month or so. Thankfully, it leaves in a day. Less promising, however, is that it leads to some penal colony in the desert. There's no way out of this "Steelhold" unless you catch a ride on a caravan, and those lead either to foreigners or back to the mountainhome. Possibilty of escape; slim.
Doubtless I cannot take much wealth with me. I can only hope I have a chance to earn it back at Steelhold. No point in living poorly.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 03:51:41 pm »

Are you ready to begin your turn yet, 4maskwolf?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 03:57:19 pm »

Just about.  I'm going to PM Deus Asmoth and Rhaken, see if they are still around.  It should start by tomorrow at the latest.

Edit: checking their profiles, I don't have much hope in Rhaken returning anytime soon, he hasn't been around since Novermber 22.  Deus I have more hope for, it says that he got online on the 6th of December.  If I get any response from either of them, I will be sure to let you all know.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:02:22 pm by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »

Just about.  I'm going to PM Deus Asmoth and Rhaken, see if they are still around.  It should start by tomorrow at the latest.

Edit: checking their profiles, I don't have much hope in Rhaken returning anytime soon, he hasn't been around since Novermber 22.  Deus I have more hope for, it says that he got online on the 6th of December.  If I get any response from either of them, I will be sure to let you all know.
That's unfortunate, though at least you should be able to fulfill your turn.

EDIT: Would you perhaps be able to re-dwarf me as "Corley," Lenehan's eldest son?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:43:07 pm by Gnorm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »

Okay.  Want to post a backstory for him?  Did he support Lenehan?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »

Who wouldn't support him? Don't you want to have your culture assimilated by a bunch of cannibalistic, fanatic foreigners? Also have forced plastic surgery to make you look like them?
You'd be a really strange dwarf if you didn't want something like that to happen, right?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:04:50 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »

As for backstory, he with his mother was sent to Steelhold for simply being a blood relative of Lenehan's. As can be expected from this, he was never too fond of his father, though he never held anything resembling true animosity for him. Lenehan rarely paid much mind too him, as he spent most of his time in Steelhold formulating his nefarious plans for Elven supremacy. Corley began to like his father more when his family joined the nobility, though after his father's villainous attempt at converting the fortress and his untimely death, the people of the fortress were quick to deny Corley and his mother's claims to power. Thus, Corley wanders the fortress mostly alone, hoping to regain the respect of his peers and to have his name be connected to his father's no longer.

As for finding the actual character to dwarf, it would be easiest to find his mother's name through her casket, located right underneath Lenehan's.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »

The inactivity depicted in my account does not directly entail that I haven't been around. I have, and have been checking the old thread nearly every day, waiting patiently, while working on the last few projects of the semester. I only actually stopped checking in a few days ago, due to massive piles of work that needed doing (and to some extent, still do). All of that should be taken care of in the next few days.

Yes I'm still taking my turn.  :D
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »

excellent!  He returns!

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 01:47:33 am »

Yes I'm still taking my turn.  :D
Should I give you the second turn of this thread?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 03:02:34 am »

Yes please.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 03:39:01 pm »

I would just like to reiterate that, as this is a new thread, even those who took a turn in the original thread may take a turn here. Let's see if we can get someone for the third position; if no one shows up in time, I will take it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 47