Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271860 times)

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »

OOC: Not sure what weapon I'm using, but Lorius likes to carry a dagger at all times in roleplay.
I march down the worn and crumpling hallway. No dwarf in their right man would willing come here to live here. I, however, came to here to aid my old spymaster. Rhaken as he calls himself now. I would have never thought I forgotten his old name, yet here I am, heading to my old friend yet I forgotten his old name. I sigh. This place is worse than people lead me to believe. Of course it seems that was all just a show to trick the visitors from the Queen. Still I am sure serving under Rhaken will make this worth again. In fact, the only thing I disliked about him was his cursing. A cleric of the gods, I spend much of my time in their temples, where if I swore, I would be cursed by the gods for my profanity. This place is awful. Criminals running the place and roaming wild, magic users unchecked, most of the overseers dying horrible deaths, a demonic cult with significant control over the penal colony if you still call this place that. I clearly could use some order to it and if I can, I'll be the one to give it to this place. But first I have to report to my master. With my robes wrapped around me and my cloak on my back, I bow before Rhaken. I savour the look of surprise on his face at seeing one of his old followers. "I have come here to serve you my spymaster," I declare, looking down at the ground. A genuine smile breaks out on Rhaken's face as he has one of his old friends from better days working for him again.

OOC: Hope I set the tone for my character. Lorius is loyal to Rhaken, has the alignment of what would be called Lawful Good. I think of him as sort of like this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BaldBlackLeaderGuy , but with a grey beard and more of a second in command to Rhaken than a leader. If nobody minds, I would like Lorius to be made captain of the guard as it would be like him wanting to put the criminal scum in their place. Lorius is also very faithful to the old dwarven gods and does profane due to often working their temples. He also hates magic users, he hates cults of other gods, he hates demons and he will hate Maskdwarf most of all once he knows about him. Also, if again people don't mind, that he could have immunity to magic, granted to him by his gods for being a faithful servant to him.
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »

I had already planned on him being immune to my magic.  Request granted.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2014, 03:42:39 pm »

Oh, come on!  Disorganized? Oh sure, 1.0 is a mess, but my new extension is quite organized! It's simply...not complete...:huffs indignantly:

OOC I'm not actually all that experienced with community fort management. 
I think I'll keep playing steelhold as a personal fort. If anyone wants to see the finished workshop, stockpile, and cagetrap layout...PM me in three weeks, I guess?
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »

I march down the corridor, hand in my robe on the hilt of my dagger, as I look for Maskdwarf to have a hostile chat with im. This place is worse than I thought. This Maskdwarf is a follower of the demons and his own personal cult. Once ruled Steelhold for a bit. He even worse than what most people here think from what Rhaken has told me. Not only is he a servant of the demons and a heretic, he's a possible ally of our past foes. Maskdwarf was able to muck up Rhaken's mind for a year, though he recovered by the time I got here. He is also the woman that slew Iral's partner. In fact that vampire scum is living here. So far I been trying to help Emdief deal with these magic users until Rhaken thinks of something for me for him. I've already broken up two forbidden cultist meetings. At least Emdief, our current overseer and his followers have the right feelings towards that filth Maskdwarf and his demonic cult. Perhaps I can get Rhaken to mutually work with Emdief until the magic threat has been dealt with. Given Maskdwarf past and current actions, I doubt Rhaken won't be looking for some payback.

OOC: When Lorius meets with Maskdwarf (I would like 4maskwolf to write that meeting), he won't lost his cool or panic or fluster given his past experiences and the knowledge Rhaken shared with him. He'll be rude without profaning and be very hostile to him given that they are loyal and important servants of opposing gods. The Old Gods vs the New Gods. Especially since those gods are the demons. I would also like Lorius to assemble this own following of clerics who are loyal to the old gods and oppose magic users and Maskdwarf with his cult and demonic gods. Of course, this band of followers will be loyal to Rhaken to varying degrees due to their leader working for Rhaken. Rhaken is Lorius' mortal master and old friend while Armok and the old Dwarven Gods are his immortal masters.
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2014, 04:30:37 pm »

Glad to see such activity on this thread. Also, welcome to the thread Oshha. Would you care for a turn as an overseer?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »

Lorius and his clerics verse Maskdwarf and cultist will end up being a religious war. The Old Dwarven Gods, which are pro-dwarven science and anti-magic verse the Demons/True Gods, which are pro-magic. And of course it the current politics might affect what they will do since I doubt either side wants the destruction of Steelhold.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2014, 04:43:33 pm »

I had already planned on him being immune to my magic.  Request granted.

Okay. By the way, I won't be good at writing in for other characters. That's partially why I made Lorius work for Rhaken.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:03 pm »

Lorius and his clerics verse Maskdwarf and cultist will end up being a religious war. The Old Dwarven Gods, which are pro-dwarven science and anti-magic verse the Demons/True Gods, which are pro-magic. And of course it the current politics might affect what they will do since I doubt either side wants the destruction of Steelhold.

Okay.  It would help if you established a few things about your character:

1. Does he have a following?  If so, how large, and where do they meet?
2. Where did this following come from in a fortress of criminals?
3. What actions are they able/willing to take against the cult?
4. How are they going to protect themselves if the cult retaliates?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:36 pm »

Oh, come on!  Disorganized? Oh sure, 1.0 is a mess, but my new extension is quite organized! It's simply...not complete...:huffs indignantly:

OOC I'm not actually all that experienced with community fort management. 
I think I'll keep playing steelhold as a personal fort. If anyone wants to see the finished workshop, stockpile, and cagetrap layout...PM me in three weeks, I guess?

It really isn't disorganized. The fort in general is disorganized and is basically doomed to disorganization by being a succession fort. For example, while you dug out a workshop space, there are workshops scattered around the fort in no real pattern. Also, the labour is just messed up a little bit; our elite smiths were hauling, an so on.
Another example would be our having 2.5 dining halls scattered about the place. For some reason, both are closer to manufacturing areas than living quarters. And everything's just bizzare architecture due to having multiple builders; multiple z-levels are used when they really don't need to be, random ventillation shafts, etc.

Anyway I'm not playing any more tonight so if you got plot to insert into the narrative, insert it now. I consent to you inserting it. You know exactly what I mean.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2014, 11:05:48 pm »

I slip in with the next set of migrants, caring only to make sure I've changed my gender to male. 

I needed that rest.  I've been doing a lot of thinking-especially about how the inhabitants in and around steelhold are much more intelligent than in many of the worlds I've visited.  It's a lot easier now that the rift is stable, and my "soul", as it were, is all in one place.  well...most of it.  There's still a few memory gaps, worlds I cannot remember, but I'm not losing track of which world I'm in any more. 

I think I'd like to stay in Steelhold for a while.  There may be irritating 5-gambit pileups around every corner, but I can't recall any other fortress where I could call someone else an equal in intelligence...ok, not equal (I am, after all, a genius), but Steelhold had the closest thing in recent memory. 

Emdief's behavior concerns me somewhat.  I think he's tipsy with power...I won't say mad with power; his defenses are proof enough he's at least competent.

Perhaps...perhaps I can call this place...Home.
Speaking of home...
I contact the Masked Entity via one of his followers; now that I can exert a much finer controll over the trans-dimensional rift, I could probably get through his wards without destroying them...but I was trying to be polite. 

In one of the unsmoothed bedrooms, we talk.

"I was wondering when you'd show your new face."
I shrug.
"The evidence is very, very sketchy, but I think your 'true gods' came from the same dimension I came from."
The MaskedEntity looked at me.
"Explain."
"One: it's easier to create a trans-dimensional rift from my world than the other way around. Two: you and your true gods are still curious about the magical properties of adamant, indicating they haven't had the chance to study it very thoroughly, indicating they haven't been here all that long.  Three: there are structures in that world which held evidence of a blown-up portal...I didn't recognize it at the time, of course.  I think they made a portal, had it blow up on them, and then they couldn't find a way back."
There was a silence, as if millions of tiny, unnoticed whispers had ceased.
"lets say this is correct.  What then?"
"I offer them a chance...to return home.  There's no sentient life in my world anymore, except for me.  there are some...conditions.  Like no trying to controll the rift itself, no trying to break out and go on a dwarf-killing rampage.  I'll come up with a complete list by next week.  Break it and I'll sic Swordthunders on the perpetrators. so...what do you say?"

OOC: redwarf as a clothier, leatherworker, and/or dyer. Male. FractalEntity or Fractalman will work.
There's a lot of leather in that stockpile...for making, say, a disguise...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:14:49 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »

Redwarf under the same name, or do you have an alias in mind? Giving the dwarf the same name would probably cause... problems.
Also if killing the magic users doesn't result in them staying dead, we might just have to do it again. Also the portal was torn down very shortly after my turn began, so an explanation as to why the rift still exists might be a good idea to maintain canon.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:46 pm »

Brilliant! Fractal's back in business! Has he retrieved his tome, or did he leave it back in his world? By the way, what exactly is his world?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:22 pm »

Use either Fractal-Entity or Fractal2 to declare it seperate. [in-disguise] as a title would work. 

In case I didn't make it clear from my original story: the origninal rift was created by a DIAMOND portal in my world, with LOTS of power-more than can probably fit on a single dwarven embark square.   The adamantine portal was merely a way to stabalize the whole thing: a device, not to make it stronger, but to shrink it and stop it from growing. the same can be accomplished from the other end, but getting TO the other end BEFORE stabalization required the adamantine portal.
-am I making sense?

-tl: dr: raw-adamantine portal with puny windmill farm was a crude portal used to get to the controls for a bigger better portal.

Your story declared me "tossed through the portal".  The in-game execution of my dwarf is, thus, a technicality. Now, if you'd destroyed it, THEN had me killed...that would probably have set me adrift to the next fortress.  It could have taken me years to find another fort with the resources to build and power a portal in the one-year time limit. 

The tome of Das Ebal is still with me.  I'm trying not to draw from it; no sense in accidentally letting a forgotten beast or bundle of angry kittens out of swordthunders...but i'm keeping it around in case Maskdwarf tries to sic a demon on me. 

what is "my" world?
Minecraft.  :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:02:51 am by fractalman »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 06, 2014, 12:18:15 am »

Well, I'm sure that Corley will get along with the new Fractalman just as much as he did with the old.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2014, 02:19:31 am »

Glad to see such activity on this thread. Also, welcome to the thread Oshha. Would you care for a turn as an overseer?
I'll take a turn.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47