Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271564 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2014, 02:50:42 am »

Chapter III: The War

Corley’s Log:
Elf Merchants – The Siege

At last! someone else in this blasted desert.  Hopefully, these elves brought along some wood with them – we need some for our duckboards.

A curse on those damned gobs!  Our trade partner finally arrives and they decide now to strike.  I honestly thought that the gobs would just give up by now; Steelhold is completely unassailable.  I will be waiting in my office for this conflict to settle.

The Outcome

The siege was won, but not without great losses.  The previous overseer of the fortress – however effective their strategies might have been – neglected to label their levers, allowing the goblins to make their way into the fortress’ entrance.  Most of the Steelhold Baronial Army was slaughtered, including the old champion from the great days of the Barony.

The goblins had made it to the tower when they were met by the Steelhold Guard, led by Lorius Zane.  The martial cleric held off the hordes of invaders with his mighty axe, besting even the elites of the goblin army.  Eventually, the entire goblin army was either dead, captured, or gone – though a small group of trolls congregated in Lenehan’s tomb for the traditional vandalism-session.

Meanwhile, Corley was deep in thought within his office.  Amongst the dead was Melek, his own cousin; he felt immense guilt for her death.  Perhaps – if she wasn’t too far gone – Asmoth would be able to provide answers regarding Melek’s nature, but that ultimately did not matter anymore.  Corley straightened in his seat, and decided to begin his “M.A.S.K.” project – though he might invite Rhaken for dinner first to clear his mind.  On his desk lay a small note, stating only that: “work has begun.”

Corley's Log:
My Greatest Accomplishment

At long last! I've done it!  Throughout the history of Steelhold, no one has completed such a daunting task as the one that I have just completed.  This is truly my greatest accomplishment; such an achievement is the dream of all furnace operators.  Soon, our stockpiles will be overflowing in great creations to crush the gobs; the Steelhold-Goblin War will be won!

Spoiler: Minor Spoilers (click to show/hide)

If that gobshite Fractal is truly back, I do wonder if he'll bleed permanently from this.  He seems to manifest the very tears in the universe; he can travel through dimensions like a god.  Nevertheless, his encounter with Emdief demonstrated that he can indeed be hurt.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2014, 03:10:15 am »

... the levers were all labelled. They were in Lenehan's old office. At least I think so, I might have forgotten to label the main gate. And not even our Jedi Knights could handle the gobbo scourge, it seems. Unless you were referring to the marksdwarf mob with the Baronial Army. :-\
BTW, it's not a good idea to set up a new meeting area. The current one keeps dwarves meeting down in Lenehan's office, where they can pull levers in case of emergency. They're still slow as hell, of course.

Also with Fractal; "Ef et bleeds, we can keel et"1.

1 Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Overseer of California.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:19:24 am by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2014, 03:56:25 am »

Chapter IV: The Letter

Corley's Letter

Queen Brasswords sat in her dining room, sipping her morning wine.  It had been a stressful time in the capital, for endless debates about the colony "Steelhold" ran throughout the Mountainhome -- from the aristocracy to the peasantry.  An immense pressure was put upon the monarch, and she was unsure of what to do about the rebellious colony that -- almost unintentionally -- brought so much relief to the prisons at home.

She took another sip from her goblet as her advisor ran quickly into the chamber.  He was middle-aged, and especially chosen so by the queen in order to ensure that he has neither old loyalties to other nobles or new, progressive ideas of revolution.  He stood straight before his monarch, and began saying: "Your majesty -- the human traders have brought a missive."

"From whom?" enquired the queen.

"From -- from Steelhold, your highness," replied the advisor, before placing the letter on the table and quickly making his escape.

Queen Brasswords slowly took the letter in her hands, and began to carefully examine it.  It was printed with surprising quality and care;  a coat-of-arms was present on the document in gold leaf.  The queen took a deep breath and began to read the letter.

Dearest Queen of Steelhold,

In this dark time that has plagued our proud nation and people, we find ourselves in need of order, reason, and reassurance.  As the current head of the Barony of Steelhold, I have taken it upon myself to -- in response to the ill-minded rumors and objections regarding this penal colony -- record accurately the passing events and developments of this southern desert.  I have with the utmost scrutiny observed the following events and have taken the utmost pains to properly convey them to you in order that your opinion shall be rightly swayed.

I do regret to inform you that the Steelhold-Goblin War still rages on; it is not uncommon for us to see a great army advancing upon our gates to take more lives away from this world.  Finding our current structure of militia insufficient, I have officially organized the Steelhold Baronial Army, the pride of which is the fortress guard.  Their leader, who goes by the name of Lorius Zane, has slaughtered many a goblin with his axe, easily shrugging off minor wounds.

As a result of our system of traps, we have accumulated a great number of captive soldiers.  I have officially ordered the executions to recommence; without leaders to rescue, the goblins have fewer motives for besieging this fortress.

There is the slight inconvenience of the time it actually takes to process the executions -- and of the "work ethic" of the prisoners.  I plan to reform the system to be far more quickly processed.

I will not attempt to hide from our queen the presence of Paganism in the fortress.  These criminals -- many of whom are insane -- have begun to worship idols and daemons.  Just recently, a young child created a ceremonial mask to honor these "gods."

Fear not, your majesty.  I will personally see to it that the gods of the homeland and of our ancestors are properly adhered to, and that this abhorrent activity stop at once.

Two new additions to the colony are the treasury and the railway.  In the lower section of the following image, you will see the illustrations of bins full of gold coins.  These represent the kingdom from which we come, and its values and ideals as well.  Above, you see the beginning of the railway station, designed to easily bring supplies to and from the magma forges in the depths.  Both developments are exemplary of our growth as a colony over eight years, and evidence that growth shall continue.

I shall once again remind the queen of the unimpeachable honesty and integrity of this missive.  If the queen continues to send her prisoners our way to alleviate the crowding of the capital and to increase the strength of her colony, this document will not have failed in its purpose.

Signed,
Corley,
the baron of Steelhold

Queen Brasswords slowly read the last part of the letter once more, then resigned to set it upon her table.  The colony of Steelhold truly was -- most undoubtedly -- the source of all tension in the capital.

Just to inform everyone, I will be taking a minor extension to my turn.  I found myself quite busy over the past week, I'm afraid.  If anyone has any objections, please raise them now.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »

I'm certain its Fractal is back. Especially now that he's revealed himself to Rhaken. Especially since he wants to move into the room next to me. Oh well. I can't, however, decided who I'm more impressed with. Fractal for setting up his spy-ring of children or the children for been as good as they are. Still no match for an old master like me or Rhaken mind you. The children seem to be following the old gods rather than Oku's demons, but are still loyal to Fractal overall. What worries me most is the letter sent to the Queen by Corley. While our new leader has shown himself sane and sensible, especially in his feelings towards Oku and her cult, I covertly bribed the messenger to allow me to read it. While I am pleased to have slain many of the green-skinned invanders, which had the effect of making my following even larger. Still having the seen knowing that one of her mother's most successful foes and a wanted criminal who has avoid capture for over seventy decades. I barely imagine what she, her advisers and her new, incompetent spy network are going think of a wanted and very dangerous criminal, having yet ot be captured, is doing in the penal colony full of other criminals. Will they think that I'll was captured and place there with everyone else or that I came to prison of my free will. How they'll respond is another matter and much more worrying.
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2014, 04:13:05 pm »

... can Emdief wear the mask as part of his/her growing madness? Because that would be really metal. "Who's the masked dwarf now, demon worshippers? Who's the masked dwarf now?"

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

Lorius wouldn't mind it since it would cause trouble amongst his foes.
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:02 pm »

May I sig this?

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2014, 05:45:22 pm »

Found my eldest son's daughter, Alatha Zane, here in Steelhold the other day? What in the name of Armok is she doing amongst these criminals and scum? Still, she seems like the good lass my son raised. And she willing to learn from me. I guess it's important to start passing on my knowledge now that I'm getting old. And an already experience criminal often make for good spies. Plus she follows the old gods like myself.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:56 pm »

May I sig this?
sure.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:58 am »

Chapter V: The Report

Corley's Log:
A Report
--
My year is almost up; I won't live long after its through -- almost no one does.  This colony was established in 251, and every single dwarf that has tried to rule over this place -- either to restore order or for personal gain -- has wound up dead at some point.  Sarrak was the first to go, then Jackal and Modi died in the Siege of Steelhold.  My father died a troubled dwarf at the hands of a giant louse; he did not resist.  Fractalman was killed by Emdief, however I'm sure that he's still alive somewhere, somehow.  As for Emdief, the poor bastard actually had to suffer death twice; a recent accident in the goblin cell blocks ended quite poorly in his favor.  That leaves only Maskdwarf -- who seems to be some sort of supernatural being -- and Rhaken, the god amongst dwarves.  If the Barony of Steelhold continues as it does now, I don't think I'll have much of a chance.  Nevertheless, it is time to report of the fortress' recent developments.

With Emdief dead, I have been forced to choose a new subject for my M.A.S.K. Project.  Although Rhaken was a consideration, I came to the conclusion that Lorius was actually the ideal dwarf for the job; his hatred for non-traditional worship is almost as great as Emdief's hatred of magic.  Thus, Lorius is no longer the captain of the guard, though he has been in charge of the goblin executions as of now.

The Barony was assaulted by a great cyclops recently.  Fortunately, my system of defensive trenches diverted the intruder right into our cage traps.  The beast was promptly executed, ridding the world of yet another destructive brute.

The caravan from our home civilization came for the annual trade and inspection.  Our large supply of goods allowed us to purchase all the goods that we needed, as well as some that we
didn't.  In addition, I gave the traders a supply of eleven thousand gold coins -- plus five hundred of the two thousand rose gold coins minted in honor of the anniversary of the Barony -- to give as a gift to the queen herself.  Such an amount is enough to refill the entire royal treasury; I'm sure this will elevate the colony in the eyes of the capital.

Lastly, the personal forge I commissioned was recently finished.  I will be able to get even more work done in private than was able to in the public magma forges.

Only two months left, and I'm tired of waiting; the M.A.S.K. Project is going into phase.  Its failure means my death, but its success means my immortality; that's a gamble I'm willing to take.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:01:34 pm by Gnorm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:06 am »

M.A.S.K. project sounds bad... it also sounds like something my character does NOT know about.  Or me, for that matter.

Edit: Damn it, Emdief is dead.  I should have run my big showdown scene I had typed up when I had the chance.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2014, 01:00:04 am »

M.A.S.K. project sounds bad... it also sounds like something my character does NOT know about.  Or me, for that matter.

Edit: Damn it, Emdief is dead.  I should have run my big showdown scene I had typed up when I had the chance.
I'd love to see it anyway.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2014, 02:11:16 am »

Chapter VI: Armageddon Part I (The Rupture)

On the first day of Opal, a select group of soldiers was ordered to patrol the tunnels deep beneath the fortress.  Amongst the group was Rhaken, Lorius Zane, and Magni, and each was unsure as to why Corley sent him into the depths.  Suddenly, a young miner -- hardly experienced, by the way he held his pick -- walked marched by the group and further along into the tunnels.  Immediately, a loud, grating sound was heard, and the drawbridge behind them sealed them in.

As the miner went along his way, Rhaken could not help but wonder to himself what the young dwarf was doing this deep in the earth.  There were certainly no caverns to explore here; the magma sea was far below any sort of subterranean world.  As for ores, there weren't any that had to be this deep.  Unless -- of course -- the miner was looking for... adamantine!

Suddenly, a defeaning bang was heard; so loud it was that every ear within five miles went deaf.  The entire fortress trembled with a terrible quake, sections of the caverns collapsed, and areas of the fortress crumbled.  The sky turned a sickly black, even though it was the middle of the day.  Such unspeakable disasters were occurring because the young dwarf just penetrated a great seal between two worlds, rupturing the barrier between the living and the damned.  The miner, shaken and stunned, got to his feet and gazed at the aperture he had dug.

What was the most horrifying sight in his life became outdone, however, by the horrifying noises he heard from the deep.  Some screamed in agony, and some laughed so awfully that the very sound of it could drive one insane; it was the laughter of those who wished eternal torture upon all those who lived.

As the miner ran out of the dig-site, screaming in utter terror, he could catch a glimpse of the indescribeable creatures emerging from their prison.

They swarmed around the skies of their plane, laughing in sheer delight as they planned of all that they would subject the mortal creatures to.  Their voices were of such volume and echo that even the dwarves in the guard-towers could hear exactly what was going through their minds.

The miner ran right past the guards, and the great iron bridge lowered to allow him to escape safely.  Three of the most ambitious demons climbed out of their prison and faced soldiers.  The small group readied themselves to fight to the death, but Rhaken motioned for them all to leave; he would hold them off alone to let the others escape.  As he ran off, Lorius caught a glimpse of Rhaken blocking a fireball with his shield as the iron bridge sealed him in with the demons.

Rhaken fought valiantly that day.  Even as he was set on fire several times over, he continued to fight.  With his mighty steel mace, he managed to slay one of the three demons, and wounded another one.  Eventually, even he had to fall, and he was consumed in the fires of Hell.

As he let out his final cry, Lorius ceased his escape.  His comrades had already fled to the "safety" of the upper levels; he alone remained in the deep.  He turned to see the bridge lowering once again, and he knew exactly what to do.  It was his duty to fight the beasts that had slain his master.  If necessary alone; if necessary to the death.

Despite his bravery, the pupil was not as skilled as his master.  Ever so quickly, he too was consumed in the fires of Hell.

. . .

Meanwhile, in the shooting range of the dead baron, there stood a terrible spectre.  It was horribly disfigured, and looked as if it was an amalgamation of two ghosts -- one male and one female.  It smiled sinisterly; Emdief was not quite out of the game yet.

Just as with my last finale, I'm open to suggestions and sample portions of text.  So, how will the fortress react to what has just happened?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:45 am »

edit: deleted.  it was a terrible post.  not even worth archiving. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:59:54 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2014, 08:05:58 am »

NOT EVEN DEATH CAN STOP THE ENGINEERING

Goodnight, sweet mad overseer.  :'(

EDIT: Or not.
If you utilize some sort of mad engineering scheme to beat the HFS, Emdief could be in on that. I'm surprised that we didn't have a bunch of iron masterwork spears attached to a lever, which would have been the most effective way to tear the demons a new one. Many of them fall apart at the slightest touch.
As for the fortress, this will be polarizing. Some will go over to Maskdwarf's cult, many will want to commit a pogrom against Maskdwarf's Cult, Maskdwarf will want whatever Maskdwarf wants.
You sure have a habit of getting our ex-overseers killed Gnorm  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:13:20 am by MDFification »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 47