Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266639 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #405 on: January 25, 2014, 08:46:03 am »

Is it ok if I kill the queen? She wants shields, barrels and bolts made, and we have more than enough of them.

Asmoth ran her fingers along the wall, searching for the crack.
"The elves are furious," Ast told her. "Apparently something we offered them had a splinter lodged in it. What should we do?"
Asmoth stared at him as if he was insane. "Kill them!" she said, amazed this wasn't obvious. "Leave one alive to take away anything we don't want."
Ast nodded, then scurried away. Asmoth smiled as she brushed dust off the door she had found, before caving it in with three blows from her pickaxe. Inside, a dwarf huddled in the corner.
"What do you want?" he grunted.
"Come, Ilral," Asmoth smiled. "It's time for your check up."

"I see that broken finger of yours didn't heal very well," said Asmoth once they reached her office. Holding onto his hand, she reached behind her, then plunged a syringe into his arm.
"What was that?!" Ilral yelped.
"Just something my nephew invented," the doctor smiled reassuringly. "It'll help you do the job I need you to."
"Why should I do anything for you?" growled Ilral. He smiled as the doctor pointed at what looked like an elf, bound to one of the beds.
"Because I pay well," she grinned. "Something wrong?" she added when the vampire stopped drinking.
"No," Ilral frowned. "It's just that this elf's blood tastes like it came from other people."

It felt like they had been walking for hours, but every time Ilral said something, Asmoth told him they were almost there.
"Where are we going, then?" he asked.
"Here," smiled Asmoth.
Ilral leaned forwards, looking around. "I only see a hole in the ground," he said. "What am I meant to do with that?"
Asmoth shrugged. "Isn't it obvious?" she said, shoving him forwards. "Fall."

Ilral screamed as he fell. He screamed a lot more when he hit the spikes at the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:12:45 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #406 on: January 25, 2014, 04:16:27 pm »

Well, we could kill the Queen and justify her guards staying here out of shame, I guess. In any case, feel free to use Uristador in this if you decide to do it.
Care to post more info about the state of the military next update? I'm curious.

The following is the journal of Militia Commander Uristador. The writing is somewhat sloppy. The journal is made of alpaca leather and bound with strips of mysteriously crusty string.

Uristador's Log, Entry 1
I've decided to keep a log. I think I'm supposed to now that I'm the commander of the militia. Who woulda thought that, eh? Still, I actually been a soldier before, and that was enough to impress the rest of the lads enough to get me the job.
And what a job, mind ye. The militia is in ruins. I wasn't thrilled when that git Corley reorganized us - Baronial Army me arse, we're the bloody militia - but I thought it was a lot better than this. If more dwarves realized we're down to one measly squad (at least, one squad reporting to me - I suspect we had quite a few deserters) there'd be a bloody panic in the tunnels.
So I have to train the ones I got, and they have to be ready to fight off gobbo's or demons. Well, the later is right out. Emdief said not to fight 'em directly. Speaking 'o which, I ain't sure that he ain't dead. Haven't seen the ghost in a while. Maybe they finally let 'im die, then?
I asked fer a list o' dwarves who can swing a weapon around without cutting their own leg off. Turns out, we got ourselves a bunch o' flaming royal guards! I'll be sure to ask Asmoth if we can draft 'em - ain't going to do their queen no good of the fortress gets breached again. Apparently the vamp had some experience as a militia captain back in the day, but Emdief stripped the bleeder of his post, and as far as I know he's still locked up somewhere.
Overall, the fort ain't defensible. We can lock it up from the inside, aye, but we need some archers fer the main defenses. As fer the hellspawn, I don't flaming know how we're supposed to kill that. Emdief's plan sounds good to me, if we ever finish it.
I just hope Asmoth knows what she's doing. I need more lads, and they need more training, before I can do me job without just making more work fer her at best. At least we got us a council member back in charge. Why that bloody nob Corley was on that I have no idea. Not very revolutionary.

Attached is a list of ideas for Steelhold's defenses. It menaces with spikes of dubious competence. One the list is an image of a crossed hammer and pickaxe in marble.

- Hammers?
- Crossbow Squad? Aye, we need those. Bring back the Revolutionary Guard?
- Build an archery range? I think we got us a pit to execute prisoners with crossbows, but that seems like a waste 'o prisoners when a target is just as shootable.
- What if we whipped the buggers? Gobbo's do good with whips
- Kill more gobbo prisoners fer training?
- Big packs o' war dogs? We have any other animals dangerous enough?
- Draft the Royal Guards? Give 'em their own squad? They won't like listening to me, bloody pricks.
- Adamantine gear? I don't know if we still got dem good smiths. Should train some more if not. Steel's good too.
- Are the caverns sealed? Seal off the bloody caverns if not.
- We got ourselves a well? We need a well, damn it.

Ah, screw it. Put me down for another turn. If Maskdwarf wants another go or anyone who hasn't had a turn asks, though, they can go before me.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:38:16 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 25, 2014, 06:35:14 pm »

"Dwarfs of Steelhold!" Asmoth shouted. "I'm sure you are wondering why you are here!"
"Damn right we are!" someone in the back yelled. Asmoth lifted a bucked of crimson water into view.
"We were sent here by Queen Brasswords to toil and die quietly, out of her sight. I offer you something else! I offer you immortality!"
"You and Lenehan both, lady," came the voice again. Asmoth shrugged.
"The baron was misguided, I know. But consider: we are among the most prosperous of our civilisation, yet the merchants barely consent to trade with us! Queen Brasswords arrived here months ago, but have any of you spoken to her? Seen her? Of course not! She thinks we are beneath her. She refuses to see what we have achieved, but not everyone is so foolish!" Asmoth held out her hand, and Olin Loluminod, Brassword's husband, joined her. She dipped a mug into the bucket, offered it to him, smiled as he drank eagerly. Of course, after the cocktail she'd given him earlier he'd have done anything she told him to. Asmoth drank deeply, scanning the room for rebels. Uristador was frowning, probably at the king's involvement, but most of the others seemed eager, though she wasn't sure if it was to join the king or to take revenge on the queen. It didn't really matter.
"Steelhold, I offer you perfection. Take it or join the food chain."

To Uristador.

I recieved your suggestions regarding the militia, though I will need to deviate from them on a few points. Regarding the use of whips, the captain of the guard is training his squad to use them. I agree that war dogs will be useful, but as we only have two dogs that will have to be a future project. I've split the royal guard among your two squads, mostly because I don't trust them. Steelhold's militia doesn't need anyone more loyal to the queen that the fortress, so hopefully you can ensure they are not. Finally, Ilral, the accused vampire, will be taking up the post of marksdwarf captain once he heals, bringing the militia up to 23 members in 3 squads, plus the fort guard.

Asmoth.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:01:58 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 25, 2014, 09:43:24 pm »

Is it ok if I kill the queen? She wants shields, barrels and bolts made, and we have more than enough of them.
I would rather you didn't; we must vampirize her and create an eternal leader of the lands.

- Adamantine gear? I don't know if we still got dem good smiths. Should train some more if not. Steel's good too.
We have a decent number of wafers and a legendary weaponsmith, though we do not have nearly the same in terms of an armorer.  Currently, a mail shirt, a crossbow, and an axe have been created out of adamantine.

Ah, screw it. Put me down for another turn. If Maskdwarf wants another go or anyone who hasn't had a turn asks, though, they can go before me.
I suppose that second turns aren't out of the question, considering how many people are ahead of Asmoth.  Unless anyone has any objections, I will post some rules regarding extra turns on the main post.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:31 pm »

I'd like to request a second turn.  My character, however, is gone from the fort.  Asmoth, could you undwarf me.  I'll post another criminal shortly.  Mwahahahahahahaha.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 25, 2014, 10:20:10 pm »

Had a random idea for when the fort falls;

Essentially, we've created a monster. There was no necromancy in the world before Steelhold (At least, I think - might be a tower somewhere). Steelhold is full of vampires, demon worshippers and mages. Very, very immoral ones.
I think you can see where I'm going with this. Steelhold upon falling is destined to become the root of all eviltm in the universe. I notice that our current world is a single small island. We could feasibly gen a new world for the sequel, and claim the dwarves fled there. It'd be a good plot.
But our sequel would have its own challenge race a la Syrupleaf: the Bloodkin. Basically, it's a race of dwarven vampires (basically identical) that can spread their infection by bite (oh snap). But they have a rare caste that can do magic - namely, they perform necromancy, throw globs of fire-inducing material at people, or summon a random demon. This second caste when killed drops an adamantine wafer.

I know all this can be done via modding, though I'm not good enough at it to do it. 4maskwolf is better at it than me, so we could maybe ask him to help out. Oh, by the way, it would also be cool to turn all races against us from the start. I mean, creating an army of vampires can't be the most popular decision with the other races, who presumably start trying to stamp the remaining dwarves out...

What do you guys think? A good sequel idea? I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here (since the fort ain't dead) but if you guys thing this a good idea getting started on it now would be a good thing.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 25, 2014, 10:23:29 pm »

Essentially, we've created a monster. There was no necromancy in the world before Steelhold (At least, I think - might be a tower somewhere). Steelhold is full of vampires, demon worshippers and mages. Very, very immoral ones.
I think you can see where I'm going with this. Steelhold upon falling is destined to become the root of all eviltm in the universe. I notice that our current world is a single small island. We could feasibly gen a new world for the sequel, and claim the dwarves fled there. It'd be a good plot.
But our sequel would have its own challenge race a la Syrupleaf: the Bloodkin. Basically, it's a race of dwarven vampires (basically identical) that can spread their infection by bite (oh snap). But they have a rare caste that can do magic - namely, they perform necromancy, throw globs of fire-inducing material at people, or summon a random demon. This second caste when killed drops an adamantine wafer.

I know all this can be done via modding, though I'm not good enough at it to do it. 4maskwolf is better at it than me, so we could maybe ask him to help out. Oh, by the way, it would also be cool to turn all races against us from the start. I mean, creating an army of vampires can't be the most popular decision with the other races, who presumably start trying to stamp the remaining dwarves out...

What do you guys think? A good sequel idea? I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here (since the fort ain't dead) but if you guys thing this a good idea getting started on it now would be a good thing.

You flatter me.

I would be able to mod such a creature into the game.  And turning the other races can be easily accomplished.

Edit: And by "You flatter me" I mean "That likely isn't true, but I'll roll with it."

Edit 2: STEELHOLD IS UP FOR VOTING!  VOTE NOW, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

Edit 3: Do you want me to start modding now?  It shouldn't take longer than a couple hours.  Particularly because I don't need to create a new body for them.  I hate doing that.

Edit 4: One post-Steelhold mod coming right up. With, of course, my own additions. After all, what fun is a mod with only one thing!

Edit 5: BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHHA! Is asmoth the last player before repeats?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:58:45 pm by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:19 am »

I'd like to request a second turn.  My character, however, is gone from the fort.  Asmoth, could you undwarf me.  I'll post another criminal shortly.  Mwahahahahahahaha.
Finally rid of that Maskdwarf -- though I suppose it still exists, wreaking havoc elsewhere.  Are you going to post a final update for the character first?

I do not personally like sequels, and prefer instead for most stories to remain stand-alone.  That said, considering that I myself took the reins of an entire fortress from CubeJackal -- who may very well resent us, for all I know -- I feel that I would be hypocritical to say that you are not allowed to create one (and I doubt you would be phased).  If you do, would you wait for the next version, use the current one, or -- for a change of pace -- use an older version?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:40 am »

On a tangent: the jackal himself has not been seen since the 14th of December.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 26, 2014, 12:14:40 am »

I've actually had some thoughts on Steelhold's potential sequels.

We could gen a new world indeed. My idea ran with the dwarven civilization being descendants of Steelhold's settlers (or survivors), centuries after the dwarven race's corruption. The descendants of Steelhold did indeed become independent, and started their own civilization. In the centuries that followed, the hidden minions of the royal line became a powerful force within the realm, and began to breed with the population of Chainbell, giving rise to the One-Eyes (named after the race in The Thief and the Cobbler) - large, warlike humanoids with one eye and copious amounts of hate. Ideally, they wouldn't be as advanced as dwarves - they enslaved the dwarven race and led them down the path of decadence.

The dwarves would end up with a strong sense of national pride, and could perhaps even worship the greater dwarves of Steelhold, or incorporate them into their engravings and symbols. Not sure if that's possible via modding. What is possible is a number of small things that would signify their heritage, like adding the morningstar as a national weapon (Rhaken's heritage), an improved crossbow (Emdief's heritage), elf-serum (Lenehan) or some manner of applicable poison (Asmoth), and so on.

Corley. The little bastard ruined everything. The moment he took my squad apart, he doomed us. I told him that same day, as calm as I could, that he was too green to handle this. You can't properly reorganize a military force without spending some time in the ranks yourself. He would have none of it. He split us up, distributed the lads through different squads of his 'Baronial Army'. I tried to explain that these soldiers will have to get used to watching each other's backs, which could take years. He just ushered me out of the office.

His incompetence has brought us nothing but grief. Criminals we might be, but we are not without loved ones. Or without feelings. Emdief. Melek. Many others as well. Worst of all, Onul... she's gone. We had loved each other for longer than most dwarves can expect to even live. We stayed together through wars and plots and crime sprees. Through the death of two of our children and the scorn of the other two. And now she joins Sibrek and Udil on the other side.

And yet I remain.

I always thought I'd go first. I'm the dangerous one. I'm the first into the fray. Onul may have been military, but she was meant to stay out of trouble and only get called up as a last resort. Yet somehow, I outlived her. I take no joy in this. And to make things worse, they buried her in the catacombs. Not in our mausoleum. Now I can't even spend eternity with her when I die. As soon as I clear the haze of grief, I am going to be pissed.

"Go. I'll take them," I order.

"Sir, we can't. We must stay with you and fight."

"No. You two have decades ahead of you. I don't."

"But sir, it's our duty to protect the fortress. With our lives if need be."

"So is mine. It just so happens that your lives would be best spent protecting it after I'm gone."

Lorius's shoulders slump. I know he understands. He doesn't want to do it, but he understands. He knows me that well, at least.

"Come, Magni," he says. "We have our orders." He turns back to me. He's tempted to say something encouraging, but the words die in his throat. He just mutters, in a wavering voice, "I'll see you in Heaven, old friend."

I grin. "I hope you're right. Farewell, Lorius Zane. Farewell, Magni. It has been an honor."

At my command, Lorius and Magni make a break for it. They don't want to. They want to stand and fight. It would do them no good. Strong and capable they may be, but they don't have it in them to face these creatures. The very sight of them nearly knocked the faith right out of my old friend and agent.

One of them rounds the corner. It is massive, larger than any beast I have seen, a being composed of naught but flame and hatred. I move into stance, shield in front, darkness entering my mind.

"I'm not going to Heaven."

The demon approaches, hurling fire. In the distance, the sound of a bridge slamming shut.

"I'm going straight to Hell!"

I rush forward. Flame engulfs me. I do not give a shit. The time for self-preservation is past. The last thing this motherfucker will ever see is the most frightening thing in the world - a dwarven warrior with nothing to lose.

Soon, my love. My Onul. I will see you soon.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 26, 2014, 12:53:13 am »

I don't see why not. However...

Rancid bitch is strutting around like she owns the place. I suppose that, in a sense, she does. If only the chief had lived long enough to see her arrive. Oh, he'd have himself a field day. I'm not sure if he'd arrest and interrogate her or just beat her into a cube of flesh. And probably the royal guards too.

That is, if I wasn't one of them.

Kivish may be a shrewd bitch, but even she couldn't figure me out. I'm a sleeper agent. Last time I saw Rhaken in person was many years ago. Just after the purge. My orders were simple. Keep tabs on our mysterious monarch. That's exactly what I've been doing. She keeps her shit well hidden, but not everything. I have discovered many of her dirty little secrets, from her affairs with the royal bookkeeper, to her ancestry and her shady link to the cyclopes. But I still couldn't figure everything out. And neither could the chief.

Soon, I will make contact with his agents around the fort. I know there are plenty left. Once his body has been recovered and properly interred, I'll be there for the memorial service. Just like most of the fort, I suspect. I've heard of what he did to the place. He was one hell of a dwarf, no doubt about it.

My name is Shank, and since the early days of Kivish's reign, I have served her as Royal Spymaster. and Rhaken's orders or no, I'm starting to think I should off her myself.

And she would never see it coming.

Shank, Royal Spymaster
Male, Royal Guard

Shank has been in the intelligence trade for most of his life. He has also been an accomplished warrior for most of his life. He began his military career in the Queen's Third Army, where he became involved with a vast network of spies commanded by Rhaken himself. He learned from them, and became a sleeper agent, doing nothing that was readily suspicious but still providing his higher-ups with vital information. Honorably discharged after years of valiant service, he became royal guard to Kivish's mother, Queen Obok.

When Kivish took over and purged the old regime, she found a valuable protector and ally in Shank. Discovering his formidable intellect, she made him Royal Spymaster in Rhaken's stead - the irony of this pleased Shank to no end.

He plans to continue Rhaken's plans to make Steelhold independent, but also to discover the truth behind the queen's many secrets. He carries a journal with him, on which he writes out all things related to his regular business as royal guard and spymaster. However, written over this, in transparent, phosphorescent ink that can only be seen through a lens he carries at all times, are details of his discoveries and activities as Rhaken's agent. He has dubbed this the Cyclops Files.

Calm, affable and and dependable on the surface, Shank has all the qualities of a good spymaster, all carefully hidden from the public eye - acting skills, thoroughness, a manipulative nature, and a lack of scruples that would make a sociopathic mass murderer cringe. He is loyal to himself first, Rhaken second, the realm third, and the queen - whom he despises - a distant forty-ninth. In fiftieth place are the goblins.

OOC: Can I have me a look into Shank's personality relationship screens when he's dwarfed, Asmoth?

EDIT: Requesting a turn as well, if possible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:49:43 am by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:27 am »

The other day...
I met a &.
A great big &.
A way down there!
the other day I met a &!
A great big & a-way down there!
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 26, 2014, 06:10:44 am »

Shank is a legendary macedwarf, and not much good at anything else. He's unmarried, with no relations, worships the gods of war and family, and is still not a vampire. He's sixty-two, with a tall, thin body, straight hair, braided sideburns and a neatly combed beard. He likes blue peafowl for their tails and enjoys eating giant panda and drinking beer. He hates  snails. Shank is quick to anger, but rarely feels discouraged. He's candid and sincere when dealing with others, and often does the first thing that comes to mind. He dislikes authority and tradition.

I think Rhaken's body burned up, but he got a slab in my new, rapidly expanding memorial hall.

Kivish was ready when her door ground open, throwing one of her golden candlesticks at the silhouette, and following it with an overhead stroke with the other stick. Both were stopped by Uristador's shield.
"Majesty," he grunted. "Drink this."

She took the water gratefully, ignoring that it was the foulest she had ever tasted.
"Unhand me, you lowborn oaf!" she shouted, as he tied her hands behind her back.
"All done?" Asmoth grinned, peering around the door. "Let's go, then."

"What is going on?" the queen shouted as they shoved her through the hall.
"Well, Uristador has just granted you immortality, kind soul that he is, and a position suited to your skills has just opened up. So..." Asmoth nodded, and Uristador pushed the queen into a small room full of levers, then pulled the door shut.

Edit: so there wasn't enough blood in the water the queen drank or something, because she's still not a vampire. I've been dropping unimportant people down wells to try get more blood in the water, but they're being very uncooperative.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:55:05 am by Deus Asmoth »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:07 pm »

...you could just try again, making sure it's one-tile deep...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 26, 2014, 02:39:42 pm »

I've tried quite a few times. I think the problem is that contaminants on the dwarfs are going into the water first and messing everything up, so I'll give the next guy a bath first. The helltower is nearly done, by the way, so does anyone want a bedroom in the circus?

Asmoth's Log, 1st Sandstone.

Project Immortality observations: It's been several months since the first dwarfs ascended, and I've noticed a marked decrease in their work rate. This bears a large similarity to the results of depriving a dwarf of alcohol for a similar amount of time (see: Project Sobriety observations). Unfortunately, those who refused immortality have begun to fall prey to the weak willed among us, with 18 deaths during Limestone. On the other hand, those who refused progress were always going to fare poorly, and most of them were farmers or children anyway, and as such, obsolete. Personally, I've found that raw meat can sustain the cravings perfectly well, though it did raise a few eyebrows among the human traders who saw me eating.

Project Immortality will not draw to a close for several years yet, as I plan to closely observe the children who joined our ranks. I'll also be watching Ilral for any vampire lord-like behaviours, though the alterations I made to Lenehan's formulae should sever any link the vampire can manipulate.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:51:08 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 47