Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271570 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #645 on: March 01, 2014, 08:04:49 am »

Er... bad news. Complete, irrecoverable computer death. Don't think I'll be able to complete the file, unless you guys want to wait like a month until I can get my hands on another computer.
(Posted on my blackberry)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold
« Reply #646 on: March 01, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

I've never heard of gizoogle before, but this made me want to check it out.

That's a pity. If Mask still has the bloodkin files, would someone be able to reconstruct what you had planned, or was it very complicated?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:46:28 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 01, 2014, 04:11:51 pm »

That's a pity. If Mask still has the bloodkin files, would someone be able to reconstruct what you had planned, or was it very complicated?

It's not that difficult. I can send him an old copy of the files (so it'll still need a few bugfixes) if he's willing to take it on thanks to my OCD telling me to backup everything weekly. That copy might need a bit of a buff though - the 'kin died too easily, so I ended up buffing their stats in later versions.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:14 pm »

It's not that difficult. I can send him an old copy of the files (so it'll still need a few bugfixes) if he's willing to take it on thanks to my OCD telling me to backup everything weekly. That copy might need a bit of a buff though - the 'kin died too easily, so I ended up buffing their stats in later versions.
Sounds fine.  To be specific, Asmoth: I only had the interaction files, not the creature raws themselves.  And if you could send me some general outlines on buffing them, MDF, that would be much appreciated.  Along with all of the bugs that you noticed.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 02, 2014, 03:54:32 pm »

What ever can be done to create a finished copy of these creatures, make it so.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 02, 2014, 07:16:24 pm »

What ever can be done to create a finished copy of these creatures, make it so.
I will, when a couple of conditions are met:
1. I get the creature raws
2. I actually check my outbox to find the raw corrections I made to the interactions.

Also, do you all want me to write the flavor or does one of you.  My writing is horrific, so it may not draw as many new players if I do it.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #651 on: March 02, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »

I can make an attempt of it if MDF doesn't have anything saved, but I'd prefer to have an outline everyone else is happy with before doing anything, like:

Are the Bloodkin a new threat, an old foe or the dominant force in the land?

Is the fortress a regular outpost that just got in the 'kin's way, an evacuation center, a stronghold to keep them out, or something else? Though this would depend on the first question.

Are the dwarfs in the fortress prisoners, volunteers or something else?

And any other details I missed or people feel should be included.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 02, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »

I think that the fortress is a bastion on the new continent founded to keep the bloodkin from invading.  The dwarves may or may not have been told of their mission beforehand, perhaps only the militarily inclined ones would have been.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 02, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »

I agree let's make this a kind of dwarven Sparta . It's the only place where the bloodkin have to pass to make it to the rest of civilization. Maybe we lower the working age to 7 so we can put them in military training early? " welcome to ________ we import children and export death bye" that kind of thing
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2014, 01:31:00 am »

I agree let's make this a kind of dwarven Sparta . It's the only place where the bloodkin have to pass to make it to the rest of civilization. Maybe we lower the working age to 7 so we can put them in military training early? " welcome to ________ we import children and export death bye" that kind of thing
Personally, I think that such behavior would be highly uncharacteristic of dwarves. Although they do possess immense ferocity on the battlefield and great ambition in their craft, they are also a bunch of lazy, stupid, fat drunks. I doubt that, even with the Bloodkin menace, the majority of the population would become a warrior race, and rather most of them -- especially the threshers, fisherdwarves, spinners, and cheesemakers -- would try to keep as ordinary (read:lazy) lives as they always have.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2014, 02:22:24 am »

Ah but the threat of the bloodkin have made even the most lazy dwarf realize the need for such a place and all of the migrant or recruits would want to learn how to fight. They could also not want to fight but to help the fort survive being doctors,farmers and cheese makers.Maybe they lost family to bloodkin and have decided they must fight or help the fight.The kids would have no choice.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:04 am »

Ah but the threat of the bloodkin have made even the most lazy dwarf realize the need for such a place and all of the migrant or recruits would want to learn how to fight. They could also not want to fight but to help the fort survive being doctors,farmers and cheese makers.Maybe they lost family to bloodkin and have decided they must fight or help the fight.The kids would have no choice.
Your judgement of the dwarves in such a situation may be correct -- though only for the first couple of years. Let's face it, a cheese-maker coming to the fortress in the middle of its fifth year -- no matter how much ambition he may have had before -- will find it to have a reasonable army and workforce. Thus he goes to hauling stone, and never learns how to pick up a sword. A dwarf, even in times of peril, is still but a dwarf.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:28 am »

True true but to make this Sparta it first must be built and become self sufficient. There is need for everyone hauler to clothier. One day if they wish to fight they will but first they work

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2014, 11:31:50 am »

It may be possible to compromise here. If we give the dwarfs a natural skill in a job, they'll do it even if they're just children, so if we give them skill in farming related jobs, the children will labour in the fields, freeing up the adults to do more important things like making mugs or looting battlefields.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »

If we lower working age we can train children in the art of war growing up to become true dwarves. Though some people still must haul, cook and all that. We want to pretend the only way to reach the rest of civilization is through the spot were the fort is. Like a Thermopylae but have a fort their. Later send out patrols and set up watchtowers. We could tut with the idea of prisoners sent their to block the bloodkin or they want to come.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47