Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271542 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 11:45:08 pm »

edited post:
any random dwarf will do. title=the lonely slider.
(and the thing about wood or stone pickaxes from moods still applies, but yeah, I don't think i've seen one like that either.)
I'm rethinking whether you came close enough. it's close enough, except my character has a bit of trouble understanding the concept of stealth. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:30:20 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:06 pm »

As far as I know, that's not actually possible to happen, but I'm often mistaken.  I'll check.

Edit: I gave you a legendary bonecrafter, artifact creator.  Just a bin, but I'm sure it has other meaning in the story...

Edit 2: Did I portray him as stealthy in my post? I can change that, but I'm fairly sure I had him walk straight up to my dwarf's quarters.

Edit 3: If you want, I can just scrap it. It wasn't that important at the moment, I was more trying to give you a place to start from.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:07:08 am by 4maskwolf »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 12:38:06 am »

The cloak concealing his identity is what struck me as odd: my character is just so used to picking up with whatever dwarf he's possessed, so concealing his appearance is not something he's used to; he's used to jumping dwarves in a pinch; the inability to do so EXCEPT during dimensional shifts is recent.

The rest is fine.

uncertain date: very likely, the following occurs at multiple points in time at once.

As was my custom, I opened Zas Ebal to see how much change had happened in swordthunders.
The goblins in the seige had moved all of two meters since the last time I'd checked.
but before I could close Zas Ebal, it burped, and something fell out...
'Great, the guard gave Zas Ebal indigestion.' I thought, as A whole bunch of skeletons from the outside of swordthunders landed in a pile. 

'Really? a bunch of skeletons? Couldn't you at least give me something usefull, like a bin?'
...wait, a bin? now that I looked a second time, the skeletons were lying together in a way that kinda looked like a bin...wouldn't take much to weave them together...maybe a couple more bones from the fortres...
and plus, If anyone touched it and felt a shiver run through them, I could pass it off as just one of those artifacty things...

I snorted.  yeah, artifacty things.  which would technically be the truth, as Zas Ebal WAS an artifact...just, y'know, an entire FORT woven into one artifact...

As long as nobody invented a
thaumometer, I was pretty sure no dwarf would really be able to tell the difference between my bin and any other artifact...
"Achoo!"
"May Armok cleanse your sinuses...Mr...Midfi, i believe?"
"Oh. d'anks. but actually my name is---ACHOO!"
"...may Armok cleanse your sinuses with magma...whatever your name is."
"Thanks."

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:53:23 am by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 12:45:14 am »

Okay, I'll change that when I'm not so tired. It's good to see other people getting into character for this.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:35 am »

I think we really need to build this one his portal; the dwarf is absolutely insane. On another note, I will begin to update the front page now. 4maskwolf, if there is any dwarf that has not yet been dwarfed, please inform me.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 01:02:32 am »

Only your dwarf and Mr. Insane are dwarfed, the others are going to be in the next migrant wave. My FPS sucks with 200 dwarfs.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 01:16:14 am »

Corley paced nervously about the room. It no longer qualified as an office, for there was no one to sit at the desk and study, and the current manager would not set foot in it. Indeed, although his father once used it as his office, but now it was just a room, a room that was but a painful reminder of the events of the recent past.

Corley removed a cigarette from his father's old case, one of the few metal items he owned in his life. He would roll them himself out of whatever plants he could get his hands on, be them valley herbs or ground plump helmets. The case, its contents, and the old cigarette holder were the only objects Corley directly inherited from his father; his forlorn mother obtained what wealth was not expended by the glass machine. Corley drew the smoke through the holder and into his mouth, pondering the state of the fortress. There seemed to be a force emanating from deep beneath the earth, for Steelhold seemed damned as soon as Sarrak the Mad breached the rock leading to the magma sea. There were demon prophets around, according to his father during his last days, and they were living on unholy ground. Corley was not sure what to think of these ramblings, but he was sure of one thing, and that was that something odd was occurring within the halls, and he intended to find out what it was.

Expelling the smoke out his nose, his eyes wandered to the scribbled note lodged into the metal case.

"Know thine enemy!"

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:13 am »

:cackles:
you have no idea.

The ORIGINAL backstory involved the ender-dragon and the tekkit mod. 
as for sword-thunders?
have Some Samples of the insanity of Sword-thunders:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TAKE THAT, CRICKETS!
...found it.
The curse. Speaking of the curse will eventually get you murdered by Slenderman the next time you go outside.
Or a wereslenderman. Whatever. The only way to break this curse is to read the Zas Ebal.

This is what is had so far.

The book must be continued.

oh, and I corrected the title of the book in my previous posts: it's Zas Ebal not spindlybrooks.

Last thing from me for the day...

I walked into the office; if the masked one refused to lend me the adamant I needed, then perhaps...perhaps I could still compute its location by the...tertiary distortions in the records; places where something was emphasized infinitesimally more than it should have been, or in a shakier hand...things like that. little things. tiny little things...
Just figuring out WHO was behind the missing adamant from the records, however, had resulted in a rather large headache...
but the alternative, hunting for it with a pickaxe, would take too long, and simply wandering the hallways was likely to result in me stepping into vampire blood...or elf transformation serum...or...
My thoughts were drawn out of those musings as I noticed someone else was already in the office; surprising, as I'd thought for sure it was empty. 
perhaps the ambient demonic energy was interfering with my magical senses...perhaps I'd test that later...

"Oh. Hi, mind if I poke my nose into the records?"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:31:16 am by fractalman »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2013, 10:00:03 am »

I think we really need to build this one his portal; the dwarf is absolutely insane. On another note, I will begin to update the front page now. 4maskwolf, if there is any dwarf that has not yet been dwarfed, please inform me.

Well we certainly should. Not only because YAY ARCHITECTURE, but because unless we write this off as he's just plane nuts, there's a hole in the fabric of reality somewhere. And since when has anything nice ever crawled out of a hole in reality....
Also 4maskwolf, feel free to dorf me as anyone in the migrant wave or any engineer currently located in the fort. I can make it work. ;D

---

Undated

Testing with the Thaumometer concludes that the concentration of thaumaturgical energy is either located at Steelhold or directly between the caravan and the fortress. More certain testing would require extensive travel, which isn't possible in this desert. If I had a choice, I'd give this place a wide berth, but thaumaturgy gone mad is still better than dying slowly of thirst.
Slightly.
It takes an educated man to appreciate the lack of magic in our society, even if most of those denounce the idea of its existence. Causes great discomfort. Thaumaturgical explanations for the creation of werebeasts and necromancers tend to upset the religious, and nobody wants to believe the underworld is real if it gets in the way of adamantine mining.
Proceding with extreme cautions.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2013, 10:24:27 am »

Just to accelerate the timetable, I'm dwarf all of the requests as current dwarfs and hand-wave it off as a mgrant wave. After all, it's a penal colony, there isn't a schedule for arrivals

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Just to accelerate the timetable, I'm dwarf all of the requests as current dwarfs and hand-wave it off as a mgrant wave. After all, it's a penal colony, there isn't a schedule for arrivals

It begins.

---

Have arrived in fortress. Wondered about accomodations - I'm theoretically here voluntarily. Thankfully I won't have to find myself an empty cell - I can take a room abandoned by the guards.
Well, perhaps not thankfully. Many of the guards are dead. Most of those who remain have shifted their allegiance to the locals. Makes sense, they're as much prisoners of this place as the criminals. The desert is a more efficient guard than a dwarf ever could be.
It seems that the baron was recently killed. It was declared suicide be animal. Cause is irrelevant; fortress is currently in a state of functional anarchy. It has no nominal leader, and the dwarfs seek to fulfill their own objectives.
Order is kept, it seems, by the balance of power between a few gangs. These gangs prevent criminal activity that would be detrimental to the fortress, although it would be foolish to think this is out of altruism. Currently, the most powerful faction in Steelhold appears to be a cult of demon-worshippers lead by some masked prophet. Troubling.
My continued survival would best be served by avoiding gang conflict. One dwarf, Asmoth, seems to be particularly respected here. I must seek to ingratiate myself with her; such an association would allow me to eschew factional politics and sell my services to the highest bidder.
Except the highest bidder must bid some assurance of my continued survival. There's something twisted in one of the furniture stockpiles - I haven't dared investigate, but the Thaumometer doesn't lie. And the Masked Dwarf is mining adamantine at a steady rate - given his/hers/its? stated objectives, we might soon come face to face with the masters of our local prophet. I have no intention of doing so. I prefer my higher powers uninvolved in mortal affairs.

So, I must speak with the masked dwarf. If I can get them to agree to allow me to design a complex in which we will "welcome" their masters to the caverns, I can implement certain defenses. No matter how many I can kill or contain, however, the masked dwarf will have to be removed from power if they continue to seek to unleash the hordes. Hopefully none of this will be necessary, and the masked dwarf won't unleash hell.
In the worst case scenario, however, I need to find another leader who can seize control of the fortress from the cultists and offer them what support I can. I hear stories of a dwarf called Rhaken who led the dwarfs in the caverns during Lenehan's "illness" as they call it here.

And as always, none of these plans can be allowed to become common knowledge. My plans might be uncovered through thaumaturgical means, but there is no avoiding that. I must play politics to the point where my murder would be too great of an inconvenience.
I need a workshop, access to the stockpiles and blackmail material. I must survive, regardless of the cost. They didn't send me here for my moral restraint.

And I wanted to avoid playing politics. I'll need some guarantee of my personal safety here, with so little law and order. I will construct a weapon immediately. And I must collect samples of this alchemical agent lying around here. Something that can alter the structure of a creature will be useful. And applying it will be easy if you don't expect the subject to survive...

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2013, 03:05:40 pm »

My thoughts were drawn out of those musings as I noticed someone else was already in the office; surprising, as I'd thought for sure it was empty. 
perhaps the ambient demonic energy was interfering with my magical senses...perhaps I'd test that later...

"Oh. Hi, mind if I poke my nose into the records?"

I am going to assume that you mean Corley.

Corley's eyes rose from his cigarette-case, which he deposited in his pocket, and examined the intruder. Every aspect of him indicated that he was a madman; his beard was dirty and unshaven, his body hunched forward, and his bloodshot eyes darted here and there. Corley thought the dwarf's question over in his head, and responded cautiously.

"I'm sorry sir, but you have been mislead," he said, "My father was not the bookkeeper, but rather the manager. Whatever remains on the chiffonier is probably but the remains of an order for socks."

The intruder seemed surprised.

"But -- but the adamant!" he cried.

"Adamant? What could you mean by --?" Corley began, but the intruder had already absconded.

Corley deposited his tuber root cigarette in the ashtray. If someone was mining adamantine in Steelhold, he felt that such a thing should be stopped. Placing his holder into his coat pocket, he quickly left the office as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:31:51 pm by Gnorm »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2013, 05:06:38 pm »

-yep.

Well, that was a bust.

I could speak with the masked leader of a demon-WORHSIPING cult without jumping around in fear, but try and talk with some normal dwarf who's idea of combat was probably to yell and scream and run away in the wrong direction, and I'M the one who turns tail and runs after a mere two sentences. 

Oh, sure, ALL I had to do was stay calm, say "ah, but perhaps there was a genuine misplacement of paperwork into the manager's office instead of the bookkeeper's office", but NO, I blurt out "but, the adamant" and run. 

Perhaps...perhaps all I needed was to have my little room engraved...no. That would have to wait. First...I needed to check on my bin, and figure out *exactly* what it does with my vast array of eldritch knowledge.  It wouldn't do to have it suddenly start walking around right when half the fortress is working on my windmill array at three or more zurists above the ground...

Was that...music?
I peeked around the corner-and facepalmed.
"Really? 'Fossils'? You guys are playing 'fossils' on eachother's rib-cages?"
The skeletons that made up the bin...were currently NOT in bin form.  they continued playing, merely nodding their heads in acknowledgement of my prescence.   
*sigh*"just...if any dwarves other than me or the masked guy approach, you guys turn back into a simple bone bin, alright?
just...don't freak out the locals, ok?
They nodded, a LEEEEEtle bit too quickly for my liking. 
*Sigh* "Do I need to send you back into Das Ebal, or are you going to behave yourselves?"
The skeletons stopped playing, exactly one note away from finishing the song, staring at me in mock horror. (well, mostly mock horror.)

My response? I promptly picked up two bones from the floor, and plonked the deer and tiger in the ribs, finishing the song.

I walked away, my mood very much improved. Time to plan the layout of the windmill farms, and see if I can get some red-cap wood reserved to more efficiently convert mechanical power into red-power. 

Thoughts and preferences:

P.S. order up max wood from the dwarven caravans, please. Windmills need three wood EACH, and then there's the axles to connect them together...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:09:48 pm by fractalman »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2013, 07:11:23 pm »

The masked dwarf walked the corridors of Steelhold, unseen and unheard.  His steps took him far from his usual haunts, up into the bedchambers of the old guards.  There was a new dwarf in the fortress, one which even he could not fathom.  By all appearences, he was just another mechanic sent here for some petty crime, but there was something more to him, something... problematic.  He would have slipped the Masked Dwarf's notice had he not been seen with a bizarre device, the likes of which had not been seen for more than a century.  Even the Masked Dwarf, for all his knowledge, could not recall what the device did.  Communing with the gods, however, had informed him that the device was bad news.

In his room, Emdief twisted the dials on the Thaumometer, attempting to pinpoint the greatest locations of thaumaturgical energy.  He was close, but there was something... some disturbance that was preventing him from getting an accurate reading.  He sighed, placing the thaumometer on his table and stood, turning around.

The masked dwarf approached the open door of the new mechanic's chambers, walking more carefully now that he was closer.  A dwarf had already seen through his wards, and there was no guarantee that this one would not have a similar ability.  As he stepped into the room, he got a good look at the device.
It was a monstrosity of mechanisms and glass, spiraling out from a central hub, a red spinel.  Behind the mask, the masked dwarf frowned.  Seeing the device in person triggered a residual memory from his time of studies, before he discovered the truth of the true gods.  This device...
Realization hit him like a thunderbolt, and he turned to flee.  At that moment, the device went nuts.

The door to the bedroom opened, and out came the mechanic.  He held a crossbow in one hand, looking around wildly for what set the device off.  The masked dwarf froze in place, hoping that his lack of movement would lull the Thaumometer into a state of inactivity.

Emdief frowned.  There was nobody in sight, but something had set the thaumometer off, something close by.  He had set it to a higher sensitivity threshold to prevent it from going off at the massive thaumaturgical energies surrounding the fortress.  But what had set it off now.  He walked to the device and began to search.  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw shadows curl up around a region in space, then dissipate.  The thaumometer flared up further, then went silent.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2013, 07:19:08 pm »

What are you planning Maskdwarf!

Anyway, could you, perchance, post some screenshots of new developments in the fort?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 47