Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 270645 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »

Unless there are any surprises you intend to keep hidden, I think I'll download the save so that I can update the original post to include a list of the dead.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

Fine by me. Though if you could avoid checking down by the forges, that would add a surprise.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2013, 02:14:46 pm »

Put me down for a turn as overseer please. I must've really not been paying attention to miss the old thread dying :/. If it's ok, could I play from the pov of Asmoth's daughter, possibly renamed Melek? I figure Asmoth's probably gone mad after the whole necromancy issue and realising she helped kill her nephew.

Melek's Log, Page One.

I have started this book in honour of the person my mother once was, before all of this. Not just the events of last year, though they no doubt contributed to her final madness. Before her royal majesty decided to imprison my mother in that deathtrap for years on end, she was a kind person, devoted to her craft. By the time she arrived at Steelhold, that person was gone, replaced by a sadistic lunatic, or perhaps worse, someone who genuinely thought that she was doing good. Then Lenehan's red mist came, and I thought that kind doctor had returned, until she realised what her nephew had become. Now she just sits in her room, sketching circles and muttering about 'The Masked Dwarf', and all I have to remember her by is the golden medallion she gave to me before going to confront Lenehan. In her honour, I shall try to learn her profession, and do my best to keep Steelhold healthy. But perhaps if the queen should ever decide to visit... then perhaps I might be tempted to perform a few of those tests my mother was so fond of...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:26:56 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:54 pm »

Glad to see that Deus Asmoth has returned; I'll see to it that he gets a turn.

If it's ok, could I play from the pov of Asmoth's daughter, possibly renamed Melek?
I assume you desire the fifteen year-old Kikrost Kolteshkad, and the the five year-old Besmar. What is your preferred custom profession name?
But perhaps if the queen should ever decide to visit... then perhaps I might be tempted to perform a few of those tests my mother was so fond of...
Don't we need a duke for the monarch to visit, or is this no longer so?

EDIT: Through thorough analysis of the genealogies, I have concluded that, should the topic ever arise, Corley and Melek are first cousins once removed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:24:49 pm by Gnorm »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2013, 04:27:40 pm »

I assume you desire the fifteen year-old Kikrost Kolteshkad, and the the five year-old Besmar. What is your preferred custom profession name?
The older would be best, I think. Profession name of Intern until she learns her trade.

Don't we need a duke for the monarch to visit, or is this no longer so?

Entirely possible. I don't think I've gotten a monarch to arrive any time I killed my Baron. I just figured it'd fit the character to dislike the person who imprisoned your mother when you were a child.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:39 pm »

Alright, Asmoth is back and this is as long as I can stall before being unable to finish my turn, my apologies to anyone who hasn't returned to the thread yet.

I'll post a gameplay update in a little bit, but for now here's a narrative update to tide you over.

"...and so through trickery and deception were the true gods imprisoned, locked away for all eternity.  It is in this prison that they now slumber, waking occasionally to make their presence felt throughout the world."

The masked dwarf looked around the crowd, preparing to deliver the final words of his sermon, when something caught his eye.  Skulking in the corner of the room was Rhaken, who was not a member of his congregation.  The greatest secret of the gods was not something for nonbelievers, so he sighed and said, "It is getting late, brothers and sisters.  I must adjourn for the night, but do not fear.  All will be revealed in time."

Slowly, the congregants filed out of the room, leaving only the masked dwarf and Rhaken.  Rhaken walked out of the shadows towards the masked dwarf.

"Brother Rhaken!  What is it you require?"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »

The missive was found in the cell of Dr. Asmoth's daughter, Melek, early in the morning.

Dear Melek,

I write to inform you that it is of the highest moment that you locate and destroy all of the medical records your mother, my grandaunt, kept of me. I believe that I have a way to save this dystopian land in which we reside, but it shall require your utmost cooperation. The papers are likely located within the offices my father commissioned for the medical units, though the doctor's recent behavior may have had them relocated to the tombs.

I do hope that I am not asking to much of my dear cousin (once removed). I apologize whole-heartedly for the damage done to this prison and your mother by my father. I hope to make amends for his actions, but such will be impossible unless the aforesaid records are destroyed. Please write in response.

Sincerely,
Corley

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2013, 09:12:20 pm »

Brother, huh? That's a good one.

"Sure has been a while, hasn't it? Seems the Elf Party Crisis was lifetimes ago," I said, mostly smiles. Not phony ones, either. Potentially omnicidal or not, I had no reason to dislike the guy. Heck, we might all have turned to elves without his mystical know-how.

"I have a proposition for you, my friend. I've noticed what you've been doing. I've no idea why you're doing some of it, but I do like your work. We aren't at risk of starvation or sobriety for now, and for once I had nothing to do with it. And since the doctor went crazy, you and I are basically the only ones who can command any kind of dwarfpower around here."

I paced in front of the masked dwarf, arms behind my back, hands linked, looking for all the world like a military officer. "But our defenses are no better than before. Neither is the situation among the inmates. My folk are doing what they can, and your congregation is mostly doing fine, but there is still unrest." Yeah, kinda what you'd expect from dangerous criminals. "There are occasional fistfights, a seasonal stabbing, and occasional segregation. The booze stocks are at an acceptable level, but a small number among the population are being deprived of alcohol. I'm pretty sure one died of dehydration just recently."

I halted in front of the masked dwarf, turned to look him in the eyes - though all I can see are shadows within those pits.

"I can help fix this. Give me and my boys a few months and access to supplies, and we'll have the place going strong. I know how to keep dwarves in line. More importantly, I know how to keep them working and away from each other's throats. We can provide protection for your congregation as well. I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are rumors going around about your activities. One of the miners spilled the beans in the dining hall, and now it's on everyone's lips. Sooner or later, somebody is going to try and steal the adamantine."

"All I ask in return, my friend, is that you leave me and mine to our own devices. Valuable as it may be, I don't give a rat's ass about the adamantine. It's yours for all I care." More trouble than it's worth. I know the dangers. I'm sure he knows them too. "I have my own sources of profit - which are frozen right now, as keeping ourselves fed is the current priority."

"So. What do you say? Will we cooperate?"

Oh, I'm perfectly willing to cooperate with this masked zealot. But I heard his sermon, and it gave me an inkling of what's going on. If he tries to unleash the horrors below - if those are his 'true gods', as he puts it - then his flock is going to lose its shepherd.

For now, I'll just stay informed. Our factions are not mutually exclusive. Though the few common members won't really tell me anything, I can read them well enough to know when and if the shit will hit the windmill. It should give us time to prepare. Actually setting some men on espionage duty wouldn't end well. I'm sure the masked one would sniff them out in seconds.

Let's see what I can get out of this. For all I know, this could be my chance to seize the place down the line.

Steelhold may yet be mine.

Developments! Also, 4maskwolf, I love the fact that you gave my gang a squad with a barracks hidden in Lenehan's tunnels. :D
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »

Melek hunched over the table, scrawling quickly when she thought her family wasn't watching.

Dearest Corley, she scribbled, then paused for a moment to consider her words. She jumped as someone passed her door in the darkness beyond, then leaned over, blurring the ink in haste.

I have found and burned what little was in the notes my mother kept regarding you. They were located in a bloodstained room covered in occult symbols. Another pause, weighing risks. She sighed, deciding to take the gamble.

I think this room has something to do with a masked dwarf my mother sometimes talks about. Any information you could give me about this creature would of course be appreciated. In any case, I assure you that any secrets you wish to entrust me with are safe.

Your cousin,

Melek.

She left the letter hidden in her desk that night. When she went to find it in the morning, it was gone. Stifling a scream, she pushed up her mattress, groping underneath. She sighed in relief after a moment, pulling out a stained envelope. Inside was a thin file marked Corley. She thought for a moment, then placed it back unread. She'd learned enough secrets lately. This one would keep for a while longer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:55:09 pm by Deus Asmoth »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »

Is this implication supposed to be that Corley took it whilst she slept, or was it whisked away by a more sinister force?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:03 pm »

I would have guessed that Corley did it, but I suppose someone else taking it might make for a more interesting plot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:15 pm »

"Brother Rhaken, surely that isn't a fair deal for you," the masked dwarf said, "That you provide protection for all if I stay out of your business.  Surely there is something else I can do for you."

Rhaken frowned, uncertain, "I don't think there is."

The masked dwarf was silent for a moment, then spoke, "ah, brother, do you want me to give you what you do not know how to ask for?  I have seen you and your men: you are the only real force of law in this fortress.  I have no more use for the miner's services, nor for anyone else's.  You have always struck me as a reasonable dwarf, and it would be an honor to pass over day-to-day operations to you.  I will, of course, also keep our agreement to stay out of your business.  And do not worry about the adamantine: It is hidden in a place only one other dwarf can find."

OOC: Well, getting what I needed story wise took significantly less than a year, and I'm running out of time, so with that, I give the turn to Rhaken.  You can have the rest of my turn (most of the year).  My apologies to all, but sign me up for a turn later, for the actual climactic battle against my dwarf.

OOC edit: oh, and Derroth is dwarfed, fyi.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:01:15 pm by 4maskwolf »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:59 pm »

I would have guessed that Corley did it, but I suppose someone else taking it might make for a more interesting plot.
That said, considering the contents of the letter, I don't think that anyone would have done more than read it, then return it to the desk. Also, considering the Corley is willing to sneak into Melek's room in the middle of the night and place his letter in there, I think that the former possibility is more likely.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:44 pm »

That said, considering the contents of the letter, I don't think that anyone would have done more than read it, then return it to the desk. Also, considering the Corley is willing to sneak into Melek's room in the middle of the night and place his letter in there, I think that the former possibility is more likely.
Maskdwarf is hands off on this matter.

Edit: at least for now.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »

OOC: Well, getting what I needed story wise took significantly less than a year, and I'm running out of time, so with that, I give the turn to Rhaken.  You can have the rest of my turn (most of the year).  My apologies to all, but sign me up for a turn later, for the actual climactic battle against my dwarf.
This is unfortunate. I'll allow such a thing to happen once, but not again; I don't want to have to void your turn, after all the role-playing that has been done. I think I'll add a new section to the rules for such matters.

Rhaken can now start his turn from the partially completed save by 4maskwolf.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47