Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266085 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »

Deliberate overthrow of the current leader would be most welcome, and not only because his overseer logs are somewhat… hard to grasp. By the way, I think you portrayed Corley as a tad more conceited than I had personally intended to present the character. Sure, his status as a nobleman's son has him have a bit more class in his tastes, but I wouldn't have him go berserk for being in the presence of a "commoner." That said, I can do nothing about how other characters see him, so I do not object to Emdief's insults.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »

Deliberate overthrow of the current leader would be most welcome, and not only because his overseer logs are somewhat… hard to grasp. By the way, I think you portrayed Corley as a tad more conceited than I had personally intended to present the character. Sure, his status as a nobleman's son has him have a bit more class in his tastes, but I wouldn't have him go berserk for being in the presence of a "commoner." That said, I can do nothing about how other characters see him, so I do not object to Emdief's insults.

Not exactly berserk - I imagined he just objects to random, unwashed criminals (of which the fort is mostly made up of) barging into his room, which is completely understandable. Corley's one of the few actually innocent denizens of the fort; it's not elitist if they're actually all murderers or thieves!

I can edit it a bit if you want. Emdief's kind of just jumped from sociopath to non-sociopath, so he isn't controlling his emotions right now in all probability.  ;D I just assumed Corley want's his family's nobility status respected, so that's what Emdief's trying to give him.

EDIT: First line better now? Changed commoner to inmate, and explained why Corley's less than thrilled to see him just barge into his cell.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:28:07 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »

I understand your intentions, though the first line does sound a tad harsh to me.

EDIT:
EDIT: First line better now? Changed commoner to inmate, and explained why Corley's less than thrilled to see him just barge into his cell.
Much better, thank you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:11:06 pm by Gnorm »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:58 pm »

emdief's reincarnation
I didn't really think that I needed to make a rule against this.
Emdief's the next overseer, and therefore has accident immunity. I'll provide a more detailed list of the dead...once i've got them all buried in the new coffins, I can get the list....

IC:
“You oaf, I JUST replaced my wards!”
I winced, but pressed on.
“Look, at first I thought I’d found all but a handfull of the adamant when I found that huge stockpile of adamant.  But then I found bee’s book-turns out he’d stuck a bee on every. Single. Dwarf.  Neither of us has or had a method for detecting bee pheremones, which is how they communicated with him.
“I found only one other pile thus far." (I pointed.)
"but that has only about 15 adamant within.  That's 105 adamant.  As many as 10 additional adamant boulders may have been torn to pieces by greedy dwarves during the mining.  115.  that still leaves as many as 35 adamant in a pile somewhere...
"I don't care where it is.  As long as I get 10 to 20 adamant, I'm good to go.  I don't really even care who else has been mining it...
"what I want...is for all additional adamant mining to cease for the remainder of the year.  this INCLUDES The adamant in the magma sea. Don’t crystalize it out.  In exchange…I shall NEVER unseal sword thunders.”
Mask dwarf considered this for a moment.
“Before I decide whether to accept or decline your…suspicious and irritating offer…tell me: what makes you think there is adamant in the magma sea? Aside from the pillars themselves, I detect no adamantine within.”
I raised an eyebrow.
“Adamantine still has magical properties as a liquid, but it doesn’t passively give off magic.  If you’ve really been studying adamant, you should have known that.  So.  What do you say to my offer?”
The Masked dwarf shifted ever so slightly…in what I desperately hoped was the beginning of a nod.

[insert maskdwarf's reply]
_________

Corley must've drugged Rhaken just before the crises.  It would explain why the military was so disorganized when the ambushes occured. 

It did NOT explain why the vampire had been running about...
Emdief's accumulating fate magic at an obscene rate, pushing all other magics away from his body.
All the more reason to have him build the mechanisms to power my portal.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:58:47 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:07 pm »

Fractal: Can I be reinstated in the marksdwarves (and retrained... sigh)? I notice there's an artifact crossbow lying around the fort that I think would go nicely, too. And a vacant captain of the guard position if you haven't filled it yet.  8)
EDIT: Also a artifact pig leather quiver! Is there no end to my hubris? Emdief's going to enjoy life more, this time around.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:31:48 pm by MDFification »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2014, 07:39:04 pm »

I believe that one of the original rules was no captains of the guard.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »

You'll be a military commander, not captain of the guard. you can promote yourself later if you want. you're not in full controll of the fort...yet. Despite your rising popularity with the population (mayor *cough your dwarf has no mandate preferences*, manager...)

I'll stick the dwarf back into a squad after I upload the most important screenshots of them all. 
edit:xxxxxx
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:53:33 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2014, 07:51:53 pm »

I believe that one of the original rules was no captains of the guard.

Nope, not in the original rules that you can't have one. Modi was captain of the guard at some point. Seeing as the duties consist mainly of giving beatings when someone commits murder/vandalism, it kind of makes sense to have one though in a fort that's basically under mob rule. It's a one-man lynch mob!

Only guiding principle I've noticed in terms of how the fort should "feel" are that we should treat the inmates like the dirty criminal scum they are.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of Chamberdrums for a second there.  Continue.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

The last lump of adamantine fell into place.

I’d made sure not to touch it myself. Some of the Masked dwarf’s power clung to the pieces, and would-in theory-work well enough for now…

The effect wasn’t immediate….
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But then, in the blink of an eye…
A wave of relief swept through me.   the hole in meta-reality was still there, there was still a lot of strain...but the worst of it was gone.  All that was left was to get enough power to my portal so I could traverse it in the other direction, and turn down the power on the other end. 
perhaps Maskdwarf's demons would use it to conquer every universe i'd been to, but...a sword can kill a demon.  swords generally can't kill holes in reality. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 08:12:30 pm by fractalman »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2014, 08:07:13 pm »

The portal getting stabilized fixes the graphics.

... but is that an adamantine trade depot? Also why are there stairs there?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2014, 08:21:38 pm »

OOC:
Yes, it's an adamantine trade depot. 
The point is that common dwarves don't see anything other than a really, really fancy trade-depot entrance.  hide-in-plain-sight, remember?

IC, but out of order:[Ah, hello inspector. Yes, that's an adamantine entrance. We're putting the adamant there so that if anyone steals it, we can tell it's stolen right away. no sense risking the prisoners making adamantine weapons in their spare time, is there?]

-I'll get the pics of the rest of the portal next. the stairs were to build the rest of the portal.

and here they are:
base:
middle sections:

11th galena, 257.
Whatdy'a know, I actually looked at the calendar this time.
The new bedrooms are coming along.  They are a work of utter brilliance, if I do say so myself. 
they aren't ready to be lived in yet. the temporary bedrooms on the workshop floor will need to be removed before the inspector arrives.  Emdief seems content with having a hematite-containing bedroom, though.  He-well, techincally she now, but he still prefers to be referred to as a he-is still a little unsure with being mayor.  the urge to issue mandates caught him o
They're not ready to be lived in yet, which is why I've opened up a bunch of bedrooms smack-dab in the middle of the new workshop zone to give to the unhappiest dwarves I can find. 
We just have to get rid of those before the inspector shows up. 

I'm guiltily relieved that one of my original crazies died during either the gob attacks or tantrum spiral-he was the one who wanted the water-cooled bedrooms. 

top:
-except I'll be removing two adamant blocks, replacing them with gem windows.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:11:35 pm by fractalman »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »

Excellent work! You have saved our universe from destruction -- for now, at least -- and have stabilized the graphics, preventing headaches. You might want the wall off all access points, just to keep traders and trolls away from it.

Corley's Log:
Fractalman's Portal
--
I don't know how that gobshite managed it, but whatever he did appears to have stopped the distortions and anomalies in the area. As soon as he constructed that peculiar structure made of his precious "adamant," everything went back to normal. Perhaps, our friend is saner than I had thought -- slightly saner, anyway. Nevertheless, this makes him even more dangerous to my plans. I have thought over what Emdief said to me, and I think he might be right. That certainly isn't to say that Emdief has no ulterior motive of his own; I've never considered him a true ally of mine, and he'll have to be dealt with eventually as well.

Now that I think about it though, he might be a decent candidate should Rhaken's health fail.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:57 pm »

Well, the humans traders arrived.
New broker went on strike the moment he was done with his drink.
Dwarves. go figure. 

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »

What I can't believe is that we've had adamantine for 3 years now and all we've used it for is building a goddamn trade depot.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47