Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271465 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:11 am »

-and saved the universe, along with a good chunk of the multiverse.

-new workshop space.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-There are multiple bedroom floors in the new wing of the fortress. This is merely the best floor of the lot.

the list of those buried near the new workshops:

-well, that's all for today.  have fun-or even !!fun!!-puzzling out the method behind the bedroom design!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:34:27 am by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

Sometime after the human traders have arrived:

I glared at corley, who was putting on his very best "innocent" face.  It didn't fool me in the least. probably didn't fool other dwarves, either.

"Granted, we have plump helmet wine to waste.  You still wasted 7 whole pots of it.  "
"And how did I waste so much wine?"
"Three children running in the halls, two random rocks falling from the ceiling and into the mouth of the pot, and two cases of my pets pouncing me.  As long as the fate is strong with me, all poisoning attempts by you shall fail.   Doesn't mean I'm immune to disaster, but poisoned wine won't cut it."
corley sniffed. "It was a harmless mood enhancer."
I rolled my eyes. " 'catsalve' processed valley herbs are harmless to dwarves. Embarrassing, but harmless.  You were shoving a full-strength narcotic into the barrels. Oh, and for your little stunt with poisoning Rhaken, due to which he has lost the very military brilliance I needed from him..."
I lean into corleys face.
"We pulled some of the wood out of lenehans tomb to wash it up.  But because you poisoned Rhaken during a crises, dwarves were lost...usefull dwarves I needed desperately to finish all of my mega projects in one year.  You and Lenehan can BOTH endure the shame for another year or two.  The wood we pulled up shall be used in other projects.  The slabs to trees...shall remain in the masonry workshops. Unless you feel like personally hauling them to his tomb, of course."

"er..."
"Did I mention: rhaken is awake, but he's lost the spark of military genius he once had.  If he survives 5 years or so, he'll probably recover it, but...with old age creeping up on him..."
I shrug, and then skip away.
"Just siiiiiiinging in the rain.  Just siiiiiiiiinging in the rain."
I ignore the cries of "What rain?"

I didn't bother to rig the mayorial election this time. I simply declared Erush Olono'r the new mayor. Told Emdief that being the mayor was not compatible with spending time picking up equipment.  He grumbled, but, well, nothing he could do about it. yet. 
I sent a message to maskdwarf via Rhaken's wife: "kindly repair your wards for the inspection. I'll stay out of the addy. "
Corley's going behind my back, drumming up support for reinstating Emdief as mayor...
All according to plan.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:48:41 pm by fractalman »
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2014, 03:04:55 pm »

Undated

Ever since I died, it's been a lot easier to scheme. Things just fall into place. I'd say the universe feels like it owes me, but that's superstitious drivel.
If Fractal keeps up the way he's been going, I'll have my rebellion ready by next spring. I'm fairly certain now that he blames Corley for Rhaken's current condition. Of course, it's not that his senses truly have been dulled - he's just taking instructions from the masked dwarf now, without realizing.
Fracal doesn't realize that antagonizing Corley means getting on the badside of our most prominent family. Asmoth might not be quite what she used to be, but only a fool would antagonize our resident mother-daughter malpractice team. And the clan goes farther than you'd think - Lenehan's family is all over the fortress. I wonder if criminality is an inheritable trait; that would explain why there's so many of them in Steelhold.
Rhaken's status as alive is common knowledge now, but so is knowledge of his, ah, absent-mindedness. His orginization is almost wholly disbanded by now. Smart of Maskdwarf, making his move like that. He assumes this will leave his cult as the strongest of our local factions. He didn't factor, however, on me.

While Rhaken's wife has won over many of Rhaken's lower-level lackies, most of the military dwarves turned to me. It's far from subtle now, the affect magic's had on the fort. Spreading fear and suspicion is easy. Especially when magic's made you an abomination, like myself. Nobody here wants to wake up as another dwarf.
Every day, more believe that all of our misfortunes since Lenehan have been the fault of the magic users. Lenehan's plot to turn everyone into elves? Magic. Modi coming back from the grave to stop him? Most don't believe it, but if they did they'd see it as unholy, a desecration of her memory. The anarchy after Lenehan let the cult do whatever it pleases, and then suddenly Rhaken takes ill. And if his "illness" is not the final nail in the coffin, there's the matter of the adamantine.

The dwarves are already furious about the adamantine spent decorating the entryway; it could have been made into enough wealth or arms to keep Steelhold secure for the next hundred years. I know of course that the portal serves a purpose, but believe you me, we wouldn't need to patch reality if we just removed the dimensional interloper that is our Overseer.
If I tell them that large quantities of adamantine have gone missing, suspected stolen by the cult, there will be a riot. But we're not ready yet. There are too many cultists right now to risk civil war. Their numbers will continue to fall, however. And eventually we shall take back this fortress for our father's gods, and restore some semblance of sanity and stability to Steelhold.
Conservative revolution is difficult to foment among convicts, but these have seen their gods desecrated, their reality twisted, and their fellows killed on the mad whims of their overseers. When the time is right, I'll deliver the news of the missing adamantine, and take the reins of this counter-revolution my associates have been fermenting.

After the purge, I'll have to find someone to rule Steelhold. I have no wish to; as soon as the fort is secure and a successor whose competence I trust is found, I'll step down. But there's so much to do. The entryway is decently secure, but could be improved. It's the defenses below that worry me. The masked dwarf's (if it is a dwarf) gods might not react to well to their cult being dismantled. I'll trust my protection from the magic for now, but we must be ready in case they try anything.

If anyone reads this, don't worry, I'm probably mad! This place would certainly drive you to it. I've been having evening chats with the ghost of a sadistic butcher who once ran this fort, and she runs messages from the previous overseers to me. Strong evidence of madness, in my books. If I weren't currently inhabiting the body of some random convict, I'd ignore it all.

And if the magic users should read this? Well, that's why I wrote this. You've received your warning. I didn't want this to happen, but your scheming has forced my hand. Order will be restored to Steelhold and it's associated expanse of desert, or we'll meet in Armok's Halls. Not for long, of course, since you'll have appointments with the hellspawn, but long enough for me to gloat. This body seems to like gloating.

The PDF is comming along. The next release will come after my turn. It'll include all character's backstories, and if applicable the circumstances of their death. That will take some snooping - I'll use DFhack to tell me the explicit death cause, peer into the legends file, and extrapolate from people's turns.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:49:33 pm by MDFification »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2014, 03:32:59 pm »

sorry, I forgot to mention: the entryway is NOT secure. tantrumers tore it apart.  I'll have the new entrance reasonably secure before seige season, though. 

back in character:
3rd sandstone (mid-autumn)
Found Emdief's journal entry. 
A pity he doesn't understand that getting rid of me would not solve the problem in the long run. Oh well.  he's wise enough to understand the portal "serves a purpose". 

as for the rest of the adamant...
EVERYONE knows there's a huge pile of adamant, gaurded by masked dwarf, his wards, and his cult. Nobody, however, wants to talk about it for fear of causing panic.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:51:37 pm by fractalman »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »

Emdief glanced around his room out of habit, scanning for any signs of magic.  While there was none in his room, he could sense, while not see, a large magical aura approaching.  He tensed up briefly, then sighed.  Swinging open his door, he found the masked dwarf standing on the other side.
"Emdief," the masked dwarf said in a jovial tone.
Emdief was too disoriented to respond.  The sheer magical power radiating off of the masked dwarf was overwhelming, and not all of it felt like demonic magic.  The only time he had sensed that style of magic was... but that wasn't possible.  The masked dwarf couldn't have smelted any adamantine without his notice.
"Emdief, are you paying attention?"
Emdief snapped back into focus, "What?"
"I must say, you are doing a good job planning your rebellion."
Emdief grinned, "So you read my diary entry?"
"No.  You forget that I have sources all over the fortress, and that you do not know all of them."
"I see..." Emdief once again became distracted by a new phenomenon.  There was a sheet of magic over the masked dwarf, concealing his true form, some kind of transformation effect.
"What are you hiding."
The masked dwarf started, "What?"
"Your form is transfigured."
The masked dwarf settled slightly, "and why do you say that?"
"Because I can see it."
"I see.  A side effect of your body switch, in all likelyhood.  What that spell is for, you will never know."
Emdief took a step forward, "Probably, probably," another step.
The masked dwarf made a slashing motion with his right arm, and before Emdief could react he was flung across the room, slamming into the wall.  He tried to stand, but felt incredibly dizzy and slumped back down again.  The masked dwarf walked slowly up to him, kneeling down and looking him in the eyes.
"Just remember that you aren't immune to all magic, Emdief.  Divine and temporal, yes.  But there are other sources."
The shadows whipped out and engulfed the masked dwarf, and he was gone.  A grin slowly crept onto Emdief's face.  He had seen through the transformation.

The masked dwarf wasn't a dwarf at all.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »

OOC Talk time!
In case it isn't clear, btw, Emdief isn't the same dwarf he once was. He's at most semi-sane, twisted by paranoia and hate. But still, smart.
If possible, I'd like to make him at least invulnerable to mental manipulation for now, seeing the position he's in. I like to imagine that he wasn't sent back just because Fractal summomed his soul - that was merely a convenient way to loose the instrument the old dwarven gods aim to use to purify Steelhold before it's too late.
Or maybe not, and he's just nuts. Dying will do that to someone. Still, it'd be nice to a dwarf who's not wrapped around Maskdwarf or Fractal's fingers for once, even if that means they're nuts, aye?

Anyway I was suspicious of the fort's security when I saw the new stairs. Have you torn down the old entrance? I hope you haven't, and you can just link the new for section with our fortifications. Sieges and titans have a nasty habit of popping up just when you think you're safe, and from your posts it already seems pretty tantrum-y. I'm sure Steelhold can hold together from pure machiavellian willpower alone, but it would be best if we didn't have any disasters.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2014, 04:28:57 pm »

Oh, I'm intending him to be immune to my mental attacks, and pretty much everything I can do.  My dwarf was channeling the power of the adamantine into that attack, which Emdief couldn't absorb in its entirety.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »

Corley's Log:
Bedrooms
--
As a long-time citizen of Steelhold, I know very well that this isn't actually a penal colony anymore. That said, if that gobshite Fractal had any plans whatsoever of maintaining the charade, he's essentially ruined them. How exactly has he done such a stupid thing? He's done little more than commission an entire wing a luxury bedrooms! Unless he plans to drug every single liaison that comes to this fortress, we might as well surrender to the Queen's royal army right here and now. Enough is enough; I'm poisoning his wine tomorrow evening.

Corley's Log:
Toxicology
--
Either Providence is with him, or Fractal has enough of a grip on this fortress that he managed to evade my seven poisoning attempts. Granted, the poison wouldn't have done more than give him stomach troubles for a week, but even that would have allowed someone more worthy to take command of this place. I'm keeping this logbook on me at all times, even during forge-work; I can't afford to have any leaked information jeopardize my plans. Melek might be able to provide me with a more potent poison, though I do not want to repeat past failures, especially considering Fractal seems fine with desecrating my father's tomb as retribution. Perhaps, it will take a more direct attempt to take down this fool, though it would be best to wait until the timing is right.

According to Fractal, my solution actually did cause some mental impairment to Rhaken. This certainly wasn't my intention, though I suppose we have his age to blame for this. I am fearing more and more that I will have to switch my subject to Emdief; I wonder what he thinks of elves.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:10 pm »

It was tantrummy for a while...but they've calmed down. 
Turns out moisturizer is also dead-we're being haunted by his ghost. No biggy, just gotta dump an item from top of his corpse.

1st timber (late autumn)
The tantrums have finally gone away.  Although...Moisturizer is haunting us.  Didn't even realize he was dead.  perhaps its just as well his body was not noticed; one more death noticed during spring could have doomed the fort.
The megaproject room is in place.  Final preparations for the windmill farm have begun. 

Corley's been ranting about how there's no possible way to say this is still a prison.
I draw his attention to the restraints in every. Single. Bedroom. 

Besides. We can always ask maskdwarf to put a mild glamour across all the graffiti, making it look like mere smoothed-wall.
I'll just have to be carefull not to walk into the new bedrooms during inspection...

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:36 pm »

Corley's Log:
Fractalman's Book
--
Today, Fractalman overheard me complaining to my fellow furnace operator that this fortress could never pass as a prison. Naturally, the thick-headed fool wandered over and began to lecture me about how any liaison would be fooled by his "masterful placement of restraints." Personally, I would be a bit suspicious about the lack of prisoners in the chains, as well as the size and quality of the cells. That said, if Fractal can sell it to the inspectors as if he was a used-crossbow salesman, so be it.

Honestly. with such a bizarre character as Fractal in this fort, I have begun to doubt that he is even real. Every dwarf in Steelhold knows about him, but I've never heard of such a gobshite in my life. My thoughts turn to that book that he carries with him. Could he be a part of the book -- an extension of sorts? I think that the book will have to be destroyed. Best case scenario is he is destroyed with it; worst case is he goes even more insane than he already is. Whatever happens, I know what I will be planning for these next months.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2014, 06:35:53 pm »

This -pamphlet- appears to be a piece of political demagoguery issued in Steelhold by an anonymous author during the the reign of the Overseer Fractalman. The writing is crisp, has a hint of viciousness to it. On the pamphlet is the image of of a crossed hammer and pickaxe, the symbol of what would later be termed the Marble Faction within Steelhold.

What, dwarves of Steelhold, do we stand for?
This place was founded by the mountainhomes as a penal colony, as you scarcely need to be reminded. By being here, we are condemned. By what right, you ask? Why are our spouses and children condemned with us? Why must our descendents live in the shame of bondage for our crimes?
A dwarf may claim we are free now. Is this Freedom? Look, prisoner, to your cells. In each of them, a restraint is placed. Each year we must cower, pretending to be submissive and without a will of our own. Our labour built this city. Did you build Steelhold to be your prison?
This was a jail at first, but not long after Jackal laid our foundations the people have ruled this fort. Soon, the guards and we became one and the same, for were we not both fated to live in this desert until our deaths?
In Jackal, we found opportunity. In Sarrak, we found freedom. In Modi, we found strength. In Lenehan, while his vision was mad, our fortress was recognized a barony, a true peer of the realm. After that, there was only anarchy as citizen fought citizen over the scraps of Steelhold. In Rhaken, we regained security and purpose. But then, we were betrayed.
Rhaken is not the dwarf he once was. His reign, which promised to bring us our freedom we had so long failed to grasp, was cut short by the scheming of magicians. Even now, he is not the dwarf he once was. Many among us openly turn their backs on Armok and the gods of our sires, worshiping ruinous demons in the hope of receiving their own magic. Our lack of firmness with these dangerous elements has led to much suffering in this fort. How many have died on the whims of some half-mad mystics, for naught but promises of hedonism or salvation in the maws of monsters?
Our home could be great. Our industry makes our "betters" green with envy. All that stands in our way is our refusal to commit to the glorious future that's been our destiny all along.
Here now, the rights of Steelhold's dwarves!

-All Dwarves have the right to their possessions, to acquire, maintain or sell as they see fit!
-All Dwarves have the right to live as they choose, with the pride befitting our race!
-All Dwarves have the right to security in the face of enemies of our kind inside and out, provided by a government chosen by the dwarves, for the dwarves!
-All Dwarves have a right to defend themselves against those who would deny their rights, be they sympathizers of Elves, Goblin, Man or Demon!

If you have the beard, refuse your brethren who spit upon your rights as a free dwarf of Steelhold! Consort not with the cultist. Work for the fortress, not it's Overseer. We are of stone, not wood. Break, dwarf, before you bend! You have nothing to gain but chains by standing against your fellows.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »

12 of timber. 

Metal stockpiles near the surface? Breweries 50 blocks away from the farms? an average distance of 50 from workshop to stockpile? such is the legacy of previous overseers.
With the strain on my mind reduced so much, I can oficially say:
I am the only sane being in the entire fortress, with the plausible exception of maskdwarf, who may simply be alien. 

I can understand the lack of overlapping bedrooms I've had to deal with, this :is: a prison after all. But how to explain the high quality of bedrooms to the inspector...

"We transfer dwarves first to the calming room." Nah.
"You may fear that dwarves will commit crimes to be assigned these rooms.  Not so, actually-" Nah.
"We're using these as a reward for relatively good behavior. They're still cells, as you can see by the placement of a rope.  they double up as a shock-treatment ward, for when dwarves loose their...."-getting closer, but that wouldn't quite fit either...
ahah!
"See, I TOLD you guys it was just a strange mood on a slightly larger scale than normal.  As for my, er, relative sanity, well...turns out that the bigger the strange mood, the more time the dwarf has to complete the mood."
eh, that should at least explain the adamantine portal and trade depot, if not the bedrooms...
"These are an expirimental cell design to subtly warp the mind of the dwarf into obedience to the queen. If the results prove successfull, we shall expand to the remaining obsidian layers. If the result is a disaster, we shall switch to using them as a reward for loyalty to the queen and general good behavior. Either way, the queen wins."
Yes, that might work. Provided the overseer didn't realize that by "queen", I actually meant "overseer."

1st of winter:

Emdief has been angering the fortress against me.  Very little I can do about it. I need to make a speech to delay it to the first of spring, but I can't hope to stop it. Well. I could switch everyone into an overlapping bedroom and rip out all the ropes...but I would doom the fortress that way.  The mountainhome will not be fooled if the ropes aren't there, no matter how many wards mask casts, and no matter how many substances corley pumps into the inspector.
We do not, yet, have the resources to stand on our own.  not yet.  not quite.
Worst of all, thwarting emdief would distract me from the most important project of them all: powering the portal.

One thing puzzles me, though:
"A gilded cage is still a cage" is a human saying.  the dwarven equivalent? "a gilded cage is still gilded: I prefer pure gold, tyvm."
So why are the dwarves responding to the former, rather than the latter? It can't be the fate magic alone...

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »

Corley's Log:
Wintertime 257
--
Well, here I am at the start of the two hundred fifty-seventh winter since the Creation, and Fractalman is still spending most of his time working alone on his blasted "project." Someone has been spreading political tracts around; my suspicions turn toward my grandaunt Shining, though the message does not seem to her usual subject. Whosoever the author is, he seems to be doing a good job, as the prisons -- however inappropriate that term may be now -- have begun to don the "hammer and pickaxe;" I have even seen this symbol on small metal pins worn by the furnace operators. Perhaps it will not be necessary to destroy Fractal just yet, and my plans will be easier to manage should this regime gain supremacy.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2014, 10:07:11 pm »

Well then. Looks like my turn's coming up soon. Just a warning - I'll be taking my sweet time with this turn. I have a lot of stuff on the go IRL. Also, I'll try to do a lot of writeups, screenshots and micromanagement to see if I can return to the fort to its "former glory" or at least establish some semblance of stability.
Here, have a teaser of things to come;

Legendary thread right here. Much dorf. Very convict. Such machiavellian. Wow.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:17:35 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2014, 10:30:21 pm »

This image is quite impressive; did you draw it yourself? Also, may I pin it to the original post?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47