Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266684 times)

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #435 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

6th of moonstone:

During my time in the curious mixture of dead and alive, I seem to have drifted through local lines of possibility-there appear to be two instances of the mask now. 
Perhaps using a class 3 power siphon spell on that mask wasn't such a good idea...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #436 on: January 27, 2014, 10:12:03 am »

Asmoth's log, 1st of Opal.

It turns out that there's still a mortal in Steelhold. I suppose it's not his fault, since he's tied to a traction bench, but it's odd that no one drained him yet.

In any case, I'm happy to report that Project Immortality has been turning up side projects everywhere I look. There's a farmer trying to starve himself to death, Urist McDead is still running around babbling, and there's a vampire in the hospital who's spinal cord was severed from the neck down. Some say it's a fate worse than death, but I think it's a unique opportunity to find out what happens to the mind in a totally helpless situation. The dwarf in question hasn't voiced any objection to me studying him, in any case.

Project Immortality Jr. should keep me occupied for at least five years to come as well, as the oldest child vampire in the fort is only seven. I should be able to get some preliminary results as early as next year though, thanks to our resident vampire baby.

A weaponsmith recently started demanding a series of items, and used them to craft an adamantine axe which is apparently worth over 1000000*. I've given it to Uristador, so he'd better do something good with it.

Finally, a blob composed entirely of fire has been spotted in the caves. It's apparently alive, but I don't want to send the militia after it in case that kangaroo ambushes them.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:40 pm »

Asmoth's log, 1st of Opal.

It turns out that there's still a mortal in Steelhold. I suppose it's not his fault, since he's tied to a traction bench, but it's odd that no one drained him yet.

In any case, I'm happy to report that Project Immortality has been turning up side projects everywhere I look. There's a farmer trying to starve himself to death, Urist McDead is still running around babbling, and there's a vampire in the hospital who's spinal cord was severed from the neck down. Some say it's a fate worse than death, but I think it's a unique opportunity to find out what happens to the mind in a totally helpless situation. The dwarf in question hasn't voiced any objection to me studying him, in any case.

Project Immortality Jr. should keep me occupied for at least five years to come as well, as the oldest child vampire in the fort is only seven. I should be able to get some preliminary results as early as next year though, thanks to our resident vampire baby.

A weaponsmith recently started demanding a series of items, and used them to craft an adamantine axe which is apparently worth over 1000000*. I've given it to Uristador, so he'd better do something good with it.

Finally, a blob composed entirely of fire has been spotted in the caves. It's apparently alive, but I don't want to send the militia after it in case that kangaroo ambushes them.

I'd recommend using marksdwarves to take care of the both of those, although they'd have to be pretty far from the beasts in question. Multiple layers of fortifications and a bait animal possibly?
Only downside is you'll probably wind up setting the entire cavern on fire.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2014, 11:50:07 am »

Asmoth's Log, 8th Opal.

The smiths have run out of adamantine with only five full sets of armour forged. I suppose this is a good way to find out the members of the militia most concerned with staying alive. In any case, I've been considering many complex and brilliant ways to stop leading Steelhold, but I think that the most efficient way is to tell them to find a new leader. They're probably not going to kill the person responsible for keeping them all alive. In other news, Queen Kivish's jail sentence has been increased to 15566 days. I'm not sure how she got out of jail to kill those other people, so it shall remain a mystery. At least once she's served her forty two years in prison, people will be less likely to follow her blindly.

2nd Obsidian.

Ilan Ismanesu has transformed again. I was considering attempting to add his abilities to some of the more valuable members of Steelhold because of its astounding regenerative capabilities, but it doesn't mesh well with the vampire genes.

17th Obsidian.

The goblins have ambushed us, which is quite considerate of them, considering I ran out of prisoners a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they killed Urist McDead, which scuppers my plans to observe the long term effects of his insanity. In spite of (or because of) his madness, he made it quite far towards the entrance of the fortress before they finished him off. He died a few moments before the militia arrived to save him.

Total dead: 12 goblins, 1 human, Urist McDead.

Injured: 4 dwarves, none seriously.

Additional note: It seems Uristador is unable to stand. He has motor nerve damage in one foot, and seems to have lost his crutch at some point, neglecting to get another one. I may need to injure him enough to send him to hospital so that he gets another one.

More importantly, the dwarves have finally finished bringing my furniture to my new bedroom and office. It's roughly the same size as my old one, but has the bonuses of being made of silver and being in hell, which will allow me to observe some extremely interesting biology.

30th Obsidian.

I told the dwarves today that they'll have to find a new leader. They didn't seem all that upset, but presumably they understand that I can't let myself fall behind on my surgeries, and there are still a lot of surgeries that need doing. In any case, I've left Steelhold in a pretty good place. Those that died died for the best of reasons, and those that live shall know that they are the best of the dwarven race. And Kivish will be spending a few decades in a cage, so maybe that'll teach her a lesson.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8372

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:16 am »

Steelhold: Making your monarch a vampire and locking them up for 42 years.

Just make sure the hammerer's preoccupied.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:02 pm »

Steelhold: Making your monarch a vampire and locking them up for 42 years.

Just make sure the hammerer's preoccupied.
Gnorm predicted the future: he just got the hammerer burned by demons and then eaten whole.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2014, 02:46:56 pm »

I don't think I appointed a new hammerer. There may not even be any hammerdwarfs in the fortress.

Asmoth's Log, 1st of Granite, 261.

The new year begins, and so far no one has asked me to retake Steelhold's helm. I got a few hours free when a dwarf died ten minutes into a three hour surgery (as it turns out, brains are vital for vampires, in spite of their undead status) so I've recorded my initial thoughts on project immortality.

1. Vampires are despised by dwarfs as much, if not more than elves. Why then did my attempt succeed where Lenehan's failed so spectacularly? I am not so vain as to assume it is simply because I didn't oppose this one, so I can put it down to several factors. First, mine was presented as a way to become superior to our jailers rather than equal to the elves. Second, the masked dwarf appears to have left. It's possible that his departure saved me from my own madness. Third, most of the major players of Steelhold were dead when I set my plan in motion, with the factions too busy keeping each other down to oppose me.

2. Vampires seem able to accept massive hypocrisy in their way of thinking. Several of them seemed distraught about their loved ones turning up dead but had no problem killing others.

3. I think that the vampire children are going to mature normally, though this way be nothing more than wishful thinking, as being stuck with the same baby crying for all eternity is more annoyance than I want to deal with. In any case, I should be proven right or wrong about this on the 23rd of Limestone, when Udil turns one.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »

Sorry, I've been busy over the last few days in real life and distracted by disaster after another on my personal fortress Boltspire. I'm back and should start my turn tomorrow afternoon (I live in England).
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2014, 03:54:36 pm »

I'm busy tonight so I won't start today by the way so please wait about 20 hours until I update as I'll need some time to play it and write up the update tomorrow.
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2014, 06:55:27 pm »

Shadows shrouded the room, deep within the fortress.  Hidden within the shadows, the worshipers of the true gods clustered around their leader, straining to hear his last words to them.
"Dwarves of Steelhold, the time has come for me to depart from your company.  You have truly pleased the gods with your piety and sacrifice, but all good things must end someday."
The cultists frowned.  What did the masked dwarf mean?
"Welcome to the last day of your life."
At last, realization dawned upon the cultists, but it was too late.  The shadows closed in around them, ripping their souls from their body and shooting them straight into the golden mask.  The shadows wrapped around the masked dwarf, and he was gone, never to be seen in Steelhold again.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2014, 01:59:38 am »

Shank's Logs - The Cyclops Files
Year 260

I can't believe I did it.

When I first heard what was going on here, I couldn't believe a word of it. The chief medical dwarf was turning everyone into vampires? Fucking absurd. But that's exactly what was happening. And the woman was smart about it too. She didn't extend the offer to me at first, oh no. She let me watch as everyone around me - even my fellow guards - succumbed to the curse. It was only when I was running out of options that she gave me the choice. A vial of wine, mixed with cursed blood. 'Drink this and join us', Asmoth said, 'or join the food chain'.

So I drank.

I have never felt anything quite like it. It tasted horrible at first, like rancid moonshine brewed in a tub of iron. But by the end, I was gulping it down like a dying dwarf in the desert who had been given the finest whiskey. The unholy concoction gave me electric shivers as it slithered down my gullet, made me weak in the knees. When I finished, I looked down and noticed the ordeal had actually given me an erection.

And just like that, everything changed. Later, when I had calmed down, I felt like a rotten coward. I tried to grab a drink to calm my nerves, but threw it right back up. The mere thought of food sickens me. I just sat in the dining room, staring at my mug, giving my fangs an occasional poke with my thumbnail. I couldn't believe I actually had those now.

If only the chief were still alive. He would have known what to do. And even if he didn't, he would have done
something. Lock us away, flee the fortress, kill Asmoth, hell, kill everyone while he was at it. I hear he had become quite the fighter in his old age.

But what did I do? Nothing. I just went with it. I always go with it. I've been a sleeper for so long that I just refuse to make waves. Even though the queen was convicted for every death that occurred after the Turning and sentenced to some forty-something years of prison. I'm sure nobody gives a rat's ass who I really work for, or what I do with my time. But I drank anyway.

The cravings just make it worse. Whenever another dwarf passes by, I can smell the blood coarsing in their veins, hear it calling to me like a siren. I want to drink it. I want to sink my fangs into their necks and drain them dry. Maybe that would sate my thirst. But I can't. I musn't give in. I am better than that. Stronger than that. If I give in to my baser urges, I am no better than any of these rabid animals in dwarf's clothing. I must persevere. I must continue my investigations. First, to find the ancient monster who caused all this.

When I arrived, only one dwarf vampire remained in the world, and he lived right here in Steelhold. Now, there were over a hundred. And I was one of them.

So thirsty...
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2014, 03:03:49 am »

Excellent work Asmoth.  To 4maskwolf, Deus renamed the dwarf that was once "Maskdwarf" as a reference to the character.  Should this new name be removed to better reflect the disappearance of the character?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2014, 03:21:41 am »

"Ah, hello there, new guy.  would you like a turkey gobbler?"

OOC: a pity fort-mode vamps can't actually drink animal blood...
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2014, 09:53:37 am »

Excellent work Asmoth.  To 4maskwolf, Deus renamed the dwarf that was once "Maskdwarf" as a reference to the character.  Should this new name be removed to better reflect the disappearance of the character?
Yes please.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:23 am »

Could someone tell me how to uncompress the Steelhold file? I've been having trouble doing it.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 47