Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266677 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »

Right click, extract all. Alternatively, open the compressed file and move the folder inside it to somewhere else.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »

Is everyone a vampire?
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »

Why is everyone a vampire and how did that happen?!
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

Everyone is a vampire because I thought it would be funny. And it totally was. It may be somewhat difficult keeping any migrants you get alive though. I had a vampire down one of the wells to keep the water contaminated, but I think he swam out through the floodgate or something, so you'll have to drop a new one down there if you want to prevent the newcomers becoming dinner.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:16 pm »

Everyone is a vampire because I thought it would be funny. And it totally was. It may be somewhat difficult keeping any migrants you get alive though. I had a vampire down one of the wells to keep the water contaminated, but I think he swam out through the floodgate or something, so you'll have to drop a new one down there if you want to prevent the newcomers becoming dinner.

I've already dealt with that problem in the way Karius Durtis, my new dwarf and the new overseer, would deal with it in character through not quite like he would due to rule III and me trying not to kill any named dwarves if I can help it. Don't worry, we still have decent population and I was all caused by an honest blunder. Usually if I made a mistake like the one I did, I would ditch the fortress or try and limit the damage, but I figured how to make it into a good story for the thread. I will speak more of this tomorrow. And I repeat again, we still have a decent amount of survivors and no named dwarves died. Plus there's a good story behind it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 30, 2014, 05:12:48 pm »

Why is everyone a vampire and how did that happen?!

A better question is "why is this fort alive and how do we kill it before the evil spreads".

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 30, 2014, 06:28:14 pm »

I feel like this story could be the beginning of the end.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:17 pm »

I feel like this story could be the beginning of the end.

I hope not. We still need to get 4maskwolf a proper turn. Judging by his last character, we should then end on a note of peak evil.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:49 pm »

Oh no! We're not surrendering this fort until the every army in the world comes upon us. I say that we must bring the world into the Age of Twilight!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 31, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »

Don't worry we still got over thirty still alive and migrants coming. We now have a normal workforce and a vampire military. The next overseer should be very careful however. I'll finish the write up tonight and post a proper update at the weekend. I was ill last night and today to the point of puking, but I seem to be better now.

Karius marches towards the fortress of Steelhold with the rest of the migrant. Within moments of his arrival, the agent has discovered a horrible fact, the entire fortress is infested minus Alatha, who has faked vampirism with the aid the of the Gods. Still, he quickly declares himself overseer, something no one seems to want right now due to the fates of the previous ones. Still, Karius disbands the military minus a few to maintain a watch in case of goblins attacking. The vampires are set in a large with the exception of Asmoth and the imprisoned queen. Alatha and the others who aren't vampires, very few indeed, get to work.

The citizens of Steelhold mutter amongst themselves. The new overseer has ordered them down here without any reason. Almost all them stop talking when they hear a pick mining. They turn towards the noise just in time to see one of the more devoted of Lorius' clerics mining away at the adamantine before magma comes bursting through. A some of them try to flee only to find the non-vampires walling off the area. Minus a few that fled into the adamantine stockpiles, all are destroyed by the lava by summer.

Karius smiles. With the vampire population under control, he can now recruit any remaining vampires into the military. They'll watch for enemies without tiring, getting thirsty or hungry and half of those surviving vampires are in the hospital. Now he can start to rebuild Steelhold without the worry of dying in his sleep.

OOC: When I used a burrow to contain the non-named vampires and then wall them off, I decided to mine some adamantine, having never reached it before in my own fortress. Not realising it was all that stood before the lava and the fortress. So by the time the elves came, almost all of the vampires were dead and half the survivors in hospital. I then recruit all of the remaining vampires into the military and I'm going to rebuild workforce with normal dwarves using migrants. So due to a blunder on my part due to inexperience, I managed to effectively deal with the a problem in character. Plus its summer now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 31, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »

We have arrived at the barony of Steelhold.

These are the first words that I remember.  I have no idea how I got here, how old I am, or even what Steelhold is.  My grasp of language is unimpaired, however, so whatever was affecting my memory is incomplete.  The others have been avoiding me since I arrived, and I am unsure why.

But the worst thing... the worst thing was when I met my first vampire.  I could identify it immediately, and something about it reminds me of.. I don't know.  That's what's so frustrating.  I got a sense of power, of rage, when I saw it.  But then, it was gone.

I have since learned that this is a place where criminals are sent as a death sentence.  Sweet Merciful Armok!  What did I do to belong here...

Give me a dwarf named Wolf.  Preferably non-military.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:44 pm »

... you purposefully killed a huge amount of our population, flooded our forges (plus our metal stockpiles) and might have removed the possibility of us ever confronting the HFS for purely plot purposes.
I'm not sure I'm OK with this.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 31, 2014, 02:47:44 pm »

... you purposefully killed a huge amount of our population, flooded our forges (plus our metal stockpiles) and might have removed the possibility of us ever confronting the HFS for purely plot purposes.
I'm not sure I'm OK with this.

Oh, don't worry.  Things will change, I'm sure.

Mwahahhahahahahahahaha.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2014, 06:44:55 pm »

I might as well get it off my chest straight off that I'm a bit annoyed about work that took me almost a year getting destroyed before the end of spring.

In any case, if the stone you're about to mine is flashing red, there's a very real chance that there's magma on the other side.

It's also possible that Steelhold won't get any more, since the winter migrants I got gave the 'brave this terrifying place' announcement. What's the current population of the fortress? Even more importantly, did the vampire baby survive?

Sign me up for another turn please. I'm thinking werebeasts this time. Also, could you check if Asmoth's youngest daughter is alive so I know if the following is a hallucination or reunion?

Asmoth's Log, 1st Hematite

My children. My beautiful children. I do not understand. I offered immortality and power to the entire dwarfen realm, but nothing is left now but burnt flesh. So be it. If dwarfs will not take what I offer them, I will create a race who will...

"Mother?" Asmoth looked up from the pages she had torn with her furious writing.
"Thikut? I thought you died with the others?"
"Don't be silly, mother," the child laughed. "You made it so I would never die, remember? Not like everyone else."

A smile flashed across the doctor's face as tears pooled in her eyes. She pulled her daughter into a tight hug, ignoring the carnage around her.

"I'm so happy, Thikut," I'll make a perfect world for you, I promise.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2014, 07:48:07 pm »

Yeah, if the purposeful murder of the vast majority of the fort's population got retconned, I wouldn't be very upset. I'll put it that way.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 47