Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266626 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2014, 07:51:24 pm »

Give me a dwarf named Wolf.  Preferably non-military.
Profession name?

I might as well get it off my chest straight off that I'm a bit annoyed about work that took me almost a year getting destroyed before the end of spring.

In any case, if the stone you're about to mine is flashing red, there's a very real chance that there's magma on the other side.

It's also possible that Steelhold won't get any more, since the winter migrants I got gave the 'brave this terrifying place' announcement. What's the current population of the fortress? Even more importantly, did the vampire baby survive?

Sign me up for another turn please. I'm thinking werebeasts this time. Also, could you check if Asmoth's youngest daughter is alive so I know if the following is a hallucination or reunion?

[snip]
I honestly hope that it's just a hallucination, as that would be a lost more psychological. If you can actually manage to turn the fort into werebeasts, I will be very impressed.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #466 on: January 31, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »

As long as our werelizard friend survives long enough, I'll give it a shot. I'd estimate a 5% success rate, but Steelhold's covered in carnage anyway. Might as well use some of it for science. Make that 2%. Got to account for the delays in lever response.

Do attacks made by werebeast dwarfs potentially trigger a loyalty cascade though? That would be unhelpful.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 31, 2014, 10:22:35 pm »

Do attacks made by werebeast dwarfs potentially trigger a loyalty cascade though? That would be unhelpful.
I believe so; you'll need to carefully segregate the dwarves until every target volunteer is properly converted. That said, a civil war would be pretty neat and justifiable story-wise.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:52 am »

As long as our werelizard friend survives long enough, I'll give it a shot. I'd estimate a 5% success rate, but Steelhold's covered in carnage anyway. Might as well use some of it for science. Make that 2%. Got to account for the delays in lever response.

In my experience, no. The dwarves in beast mode are already hostile, so attacks by them doesn't trigger a cascade. Attacks on them won't either. Now, if they're still in dwarf mode, that's a different story.

Also werebeastfort will be the least productive ever. Just saying. At least half of our time will be spent picking up cloths and other items dropped when the werebeasting hit.

I wonder if you can make a dwarf a werebeast and a vamp? Interesting possibility, although they'd probably transform back into a regular dwarf after each werebeast transformation.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:05 am »

I think that vampirism and a werebeast curse are mutually exclusive. You can be a werebeast necromancer or vampire necromancer, but I don't think there's any way to get the dwarfs to read a slab. I'd probably use the werelizards for high risk jobs or just as servants for the vampire overlords.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:03 am »

Yeah.  The interaction examples list werebeast curse and vampcurse as mutually exclusive, so I would assume that's how Toady designed the actual hard coded interactions.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2014, 08:14:02 pm »

This is a well-crafted goat leather scroll.

"The Architecture of Steelhold"

To the aristocracy of The Gloves of Admiring,

In continuation of my previous report on the nature and workings of our colony, I have thus drafted this scroll on the design and architecture of the fortress.

The exterior area around the fortress -- once an ordinary desert site -- is now utterly defaced by the workers of this colony.  Surrounding the entrance is a series of defensive trenches, intended to keep the goblins and kobolds away.  A large tower lies to the south of the fortress, and was once the site of a madman's personal project; I am happy to report that the aforesaid project has been removed and the madman executed.  Built into the side of the beach to the west is the original tomb of the first baron, though his body has since been removed.  Leading up to the fortress is a green glass road and retractable bridge, attributable to the eccentricity of the second baron.

The exterior of the fortress itself is largely unfinished.  A large guard tower is connected to the left-side of the entrance, though fortifications have been constructed all about the second-story for sharpshooting.  Archways line the road up to the fortress, and they hold pathways leading to the towers; they are. of course, trapped to give-way when goblins attempt to besiege Steelhold whilst crossing them.  The upper levels have very little construction to them, and I do not now -- as of now -- whether or not a future overseer will attempt to work off of them.  There is also a courtyard for beekeeping connected in the back, though it is rarely used.

As for the interior of the fortress, I must say that I am glad this prison was not placed on any major fault-lines; the structural integrity is quite lacking.  Depending upon which floor you are on, there will be either no construction or mining whatsoever or the entire floor will be taken up by corridors or stockpiles.  We are actually over several major cavern systems as well.  If something caused this fortress to rumble, it would literally sink into the earth.

The individual sections of the fortress are far too complex to describe in a scroll -- they must be seen to be believed.  There are three cell-blocks -- for example -- each with their own insane means of design.  I am no cartographer myself, but to even attempt to map this place out would be an exercise in futility.

With that, I must bid you farewell until my next scroll.  Keep in mind that the denizens grow more independent by the day; it will not be long before they attempt an organized attack on the mainland.

Sincerely,
James Joyce, Esq.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:15:45 pm by Gnorm »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »

Aw yiss. Motha fuckin' wiki edits. TY for OP update Gnorm.
On a coincidental note, I got dibs on making the sequel when we die. Probably from the repercussions of killing half our fort with magma. Also please bring those vamps back, the Bloodkin were such a cool idea  :'(

Anyway is Uristador still alive? Not quite sure what I should have him make of all this.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 01, 2014, 09:13:10 pm »

On a coincidental note, I got dibs on making the sequel when we die. Probably from the repercussions of killing half our fort with magma. Also please bring those vamps back, the Bloodkin were such a cool idea  :'(

Anyway is Uristador still alive? Not quite sure what I should have him make of all this.
You're welcome, and -- as I have mentioned earlier -- I am adverse to sequels for stories such as this. Thus, I have absolutely no objection to your claim. As far as the Bloodkin, should something happen, you could always excuse their existence as being the result of the excess magic in the fortress. Such magic was able to breed monsters from the corpses, melted remains, and souls of the fallen.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:04:41 pm by Gnorm »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 01, 2014, 09:19:42 pm »

You're welcome, and -- as I have mentioned earlier -- I am adverse to sequels for stories such as this. Thus, I have absolutely no objection to your claim. As far as the Bloodkin, should something happen, you could always excuse their existence as being the result of the excess magic in the fortress. Such magic was able to breed monsters from the corpses, melted remains, and souls of the fallen.

Eh, I'd actually prefer not to do a very direct sequel. Not another penal colony, for sure. It's just a way to keep the same group of players around when we finally kick the artifact !!Dwarf Bone!! bucket. And an excuse to make a syrupleaf-like challenge race tbh. I really want dibs so I get a chance to name the joint Hellhole or something else kickin' radical. 

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 01, 2014, 09:24:41 pm »

Eh, I'd actually prefer not to do a very direct sequel. Not another penal colony, for sure. It's just a way to keep the same group of players around when we finally kick the artifact !!Dwarf Bone!! bucket. And an excuse to make a syrupleaf-like challenge race tbh. I really want dibs so I get a chance to name the joint Hellhole or something else kickin' radical.
By "not very direct," what exactly do you mean? Will it not have the same mythology?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »

By "not very direct," what exactly do you mean? Will it not have the same mythology?

Well, same shared universe. But the overall plot will be different. Not sure what I'd choose, I'll ask around when the time comes - if people really want to do another penal colony then I'll go for it, but the aim is to have a totally unique game that just happens to have a cool backstory. For example, direct descendants of characters from Steelhold would be frowned upon, at least by me, but we'd wind up with the Bloodkin and dwarf metal singers hailing Asmoth instead of Satan.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:08 pm »

Well, same shared universe. But the overall plot will be different. Not sure what I'd choose, I'll ask around when the time comes - if people really want to do another penal colony then I'll go for it, but the aim is to have a totally unique game that just happens to have a cool backstory. For example, direct descendants of characters from Steelhold would be frowned upon, at least by me, but we'd wind up with the Bloodkin and dwarf metal singers hailing Asmoth instead of Satan.
Sort of a "thousand years later" post-apocalyptic scenario brought upon by the existence of this fortress?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 01, 2014, 09:53:43 pm »

Sort of a "thousand years later" post-apocalyptic scenario brought upon by the existence of this fortress?
Precisely!
On another note, I hear there's gold buried within this quote-pyramid, but a terrible curse awaits any who dig into it.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 02, 2014, 07:08:13 am »

Well, since Steelhold is on the coast of an island, it might be interesting if the sequel fortress was built in response to news from sailors and such of undead monsters steadily approaching the mainland, hopefully intercepting and destroying the threat before it reaches the mountainhomes. Of course, there'd have to be a reason for not sending actual soldiers, but if there were a civilisation at war when the fortress was founded or even if the monarch wasn't eager to listen to the stories of half mad sailors, it'd work. 
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47