Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266638 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #525 on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:54 pm »

Work on the wiki is underway, I'll mess with the save later this weekend.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 09, 2014, 02:47:27 pm »

How's the turn going, 4maskwolf. Also, the rules have been updated on the original post, so I advise that everyone check it.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 09, 2014, 02:53:55 pm »

I will start actually playing the game later today, I've been caught up editing the wiki.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 09, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »

I will start actually playing the game later today, I've been caught up editing the wiki.
Good to hear; we'll need quite a database to keep up with this story.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #529 on: February 09, 2014, 03:20:53 pm »

Could I sign up for another turn, please?

Is it worth doing a wiki page for Ilral the vampire, by the way? He has a pretty long history outside Steelhold, but didn't really do all that much in the fortress. If he's worth a page, his real name was Likot Lockedgears, he was born in 36, killed six thousand, nine hundred and eighty seven people, plus a giant earthworm and a camel, and he was apparently killed by a chestnut training spear in the spring of 261.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »

Go right ahead, Asmoth.  Also, he played a role in the storytelling aspects of the story, so if you want to make a wiki page for him be sure to read up on that.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 09, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »

Don't forget to dwarf the new characters during your turn.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2014, 05:36:41 pm »

Hey guys, delay me a turn, I just got really ill this morning and am not sure when I'll get to play DF again...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

Hey guys, delay me a turn, I just got really ill this morning and am not sure when I'll get to play DF again...

Gosh-darnit.
Fine, I'll start my turn. I'll be taking my own sweet time updating though.

Part 1: What the Dwarf Christ

1st o' Granite, 262

So I been gettin' might bored sitting outside the fort, yes? So nobody can blame me for going back inside against orders when the bridge came back down, yes? I mean I am the highest ranking military official, so I see no reason why I can't make decisions like that.
Anyway, so I went inside. And everyone was dead. Yep, everyone. There are only 39 dwarves left. Not to mention the fabric of reality's gone all wacky again and the place now looks, somehow, even more like a goblin's arse then it already did.
Since our previous Overseer obviously has gone of the deep end, I'm in charge now. Jackal says we should instate Marshal law. Who the hell is Marshal Law? I decided everyone should just listen to me since I'm the militia commander instead.
So, for posterity's sake, allow me to describe what the lads in the Guard have termed a 'clusterf*ck of legendary porportions':

1. We have no food. Well, no food for vamps. If Asmoth wasn't so popular among the others I'd have her off'd fer forcing this curse on us. Better not tell anyone that.
2. We have no rooms assigned to our mayor and queen! They'll be going absolutely bonkers! Maybe it isn't too late to lock meself back outside the fort?
3. Morale is so low cockroaches would need to bend over to see it.
4. A bunch o' folks have started describing themselves as "Rhakenists". I have no idea what that means, but seeing as Rhaken's current platform consists of sitting in a coffin and getting eaten by worms, this probably isn't a good thing.
5. Some goon flooded our bloody metal stockpile and sank what looks like half our arsenal into it. The area smells vaguely like well-cooked pork, which is both alluring and disturbing.
6. Nobody labelled the level to seal off the corridor to hell... which isn't sealed. There's literally nothing between the demonspawn and us.
7. A dozen o' us are wounded. I can't remember how that happened, but we need us some crutches and diagnosis, ASAP.
8. Since all the crimes in the fort have been blamed on the queen, I have no excuse to track down Karius and beat that little drip to a pulp for dumping this on me.

Also of note, there's garbage litterally all over the fort. In between pieces of litter, you'll find a good billion chicks. They'll likely be covered in their own damn excrement.
I look at our stocks and almost vomit in disgust. Adamantine crossbows. Most of our arms and armor submerged in lava.
If I didn't know precisely where hell is (slightly beneath Steelhold) I'd assume I was in it. As it currently stands, we'll probably get there soon enough.

OOC: Where the hell is the lever for the bridge over the trenches and the bridge to hell? BTW, can someone walk me through fixing the graphics? The current settings in my init file match the regular ASCII, but it won't go back to normal.
Also goddamn. This place is actually screwed. Like, revert-level screwed. The next siege to roll around will probably finish us.
In layman's terms, we're boned.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:44:49 pm by MDFification »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 10, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »

There was a pair of files I had to completely delete and replace with a completely fresh version. the init was one of them.

a quick little bit of IC:

Someone messed up the fabric of reality again.  I can safely say it wasn't my fault...this time.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #535 on: February 10, 2014, 08:19:49 pm »

I think the problem is in the raws, not the init. So if you copy the raws from another game over it should fix everything, assuming neither of them are modded.

Hell isn't unsealed, I built a big tower under the open spire. The lever connected to the bridge in it is in the old vampire lever room. There's also two children trapped behind a wall in that tower, I think.

Steelhold could probably battle through a few sieges with the royal guard vampires and traps, but it wouldn't look pretty.

As regards reverting the save, what happened wasn't really against the rules, so I guess you'd have to ask Gnorm about it.

Asmoth's log, Granite 262.

Uristador has retaken his position of militia commander and established marshal law in Steelhold. I don't really have a problem with losing control of the military, since I was planning on giving myself a dishonourable discharge in any case (I'm pretty sure draining the people you're meant to protect of blood counts as misconduct). Plus I have a lot of work to do, and most of my medical team got fried by our last overseer.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:58 pm »

4maskwolf never actually started his turn, so the postponement on the turn is acceptable. Just remember to dwarf the two new characters.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 10, 2014, 10:19:53 pm »

4maskwolf never actually started his turn, so the postponement on the turn is acceptable. Just remember to dwarf the two new characters.

I'll do this if the migrants aren't immediately consumed.
I'm thinking of making a satellite fort for migrants. Dwarves will then be 'processed'; ones with useful skills will be locked in a room with a contaminated water source and turned into vamps, while legendary cheesemakers will be released into the main fort without becoming vampires. Should help raise morale a bit, since vamps are even more easily depressed than regular dwarves. Just make sure not to feed anyone's family to the prisoners.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:35 pm »

This is a well-crafted goat leather scroll.

"The Marble Faction"

To the office of Uristador,

I must say that it is quite nice to finally get in touch with you. We do not know each other -- personally -- though that is quite unnecessary given the state of this fortress. What is necessary, however, is order. Everyone here wants to be free, and even the queen is within their grasp, but none of them have any will to act on their own. That is why I have written to you to propose an agreement of sorts; I understand that you follow fervently the political philosophies of the Marble Faction. Even though the group once controlled the entire fortress its now but a footnote in the politics now; the fate is quite sad, actually.

There is, however, something that we can do. With effort, the Marble Faction can once again be the leading government of this fortress; it will be just what Steelhold needs. If you're interested, why don't you just leave your response posted by the hammer of the monument.

Sincerely,
James Joyce, Esq.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 11, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »

I'll update tomorrow probably, have to study for a test. And fix the graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 47