Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266186 times)

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:39 pm »

And add new players in
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2014, 07:01:03 am »

And add new players in
Can't do that until I've played more and seen if migrants actually show up.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20:18 am »

Does the announcement that migrants give when they arrive (eg, knowing this place may be their tomb) affect how many migrants we get, or is it just to remind you how many people have died in Steelhold?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 12, 2014, 10:02:36 am »

Does the announcement that migrants give when they arrive (eg, knowing this place may be their tomb) affect how many migrants we get, or is it just to remind you how many people have died in Steelhold?

I think it's a warning; as in, if people keep dying, you won't be getting many more migrants after this.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 12, 2014, 10:13:09 am »

I think it's a warning; as in, if people keep dying, you won't be getting many more migrants after this.
According to the wiki -- if I have interpreted it correctly -- migrants will forever cease to come after a population of 3000 total creatures are at the fortress -- living and dead.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:30 am »

According to the wiki -- if I have interpreted it correctly -- migrants will forever cease to come after a population of 3000 total creatures are at the fortress -- living and dead.
We haven't reached that cap yet - we're about halfway there. I do know that sometimes migrants refuse to come to a fort that's taken too many casualties in a year, but that's pretty rare and soon reverts to "migrants have come despite the danger". So we should still receive migrants, if we survive that long.
Which we probably won't. The tantrums have started and someone destroyed a few levers. Since I can't get the main bridge to open I'm forced to build a temporary passage into the fort, but progress is quite slow.
I'm forced to dismantle Fractal's project because it serves no real purpose and is a MASSIVE fps drain. Sorry, Fractal.
Also to boost our FPS I have to order the deaths of hundreds of chicks.
If we survive the spiral I'll post a turn. If not, we can decide how the story ends I guess?

EDIT: Breaking news! A tantrumming dwarf smashed Asmoth's nose! This has led Asmoth to confine herself to bed until she receives treatment... from herself, seeing as the only other medical dwarf is on break.
A grand total of 8 dwarves are now in the hospital.

EDIT2: Yep, it dead.
We got migrants, but it was too late. Shining and two unnamed dwarves went berserk. The entire fort is in a state of tantrum, waiting for medical treatment or actively being beaten to death. That's the downside to low military morale; when they snap, they're armed, and there ain't nothing you can do about it if nobody will obey orders to go on active duty.
So, now what? The situation's beyond recovery. Should I do a writeup? I'd prefer to abandon now and do an ending other than the fort crumbling utterly, but that's just personal preference.
Thoughts?
Btw, we managed to make it to 9th of Slate without the fort crumbling! Huzzah!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:48:17 am by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2014, 10:56:31 am »

I say back-up the current save, abandon the fortress, and post it on the file depot. Anyone who wishes to may write an ending, and we shall vote on which submission will be the canon one.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2014, 11:08:19 am »

I say back-up the current save, abandon the fortress, and post it on the file depot. Anyone who wishes to may write an ending, and we shall vote on which submission will be the canon one.

Just to clarify: You want me to post the version of the save that isn't abandoned, right?
Edit: SAVE
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:17:44 am by MDFification »

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2014, 02:40:00 pm »

I suggest the lot of us get together to plan out the ending. Once again, I gots me some conspiracies in mind. As for writing the ending itself, I'm up for it.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2014, 07:13:05 pm »

I suggest the lot of us get together to plan out the ending. Once again, I gots me some conspiracies in mind. As for writing the ending itself, I'm up for it.

Well then, I kind of had a plan.

I'd have the fortress get sealed off from the surface world for some amount of years. Asmoth uses this time to learn some magic, absorb some adamantine, perform some horrific experiments, take to wearing that goblin bone mask, get called the Witchdoctor, etc.
Then, some unfortunate fool unseals Steelhold... and the Bloodkin pour forth in an unstoppable tide and destroy civilization (probably using survivors as sentient cattle, in massive apocalyptic blood farms for style points), with the exception of some dwarves who manage to flee across the sea.

Speaking of the bloodkin, can we get an update 4maskwolf? I actually made the entire race (except for interactions... which were kind of the whole point of the race) at some point out of boredom. Can you pass me the files after you finish? I have some clever plans and nasty tricks involving race-specific weaponry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:15:44 pm by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 12, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

Just to clarify: You want me to post the version of the save that isn't abandoned, right?
I didn't mean that, but it works anyway, so no worries.

As for the ending, I did have an idea of my own, and I am even willing to work the bloodkin into it. Going off Rhaken's idea, if any of the followers of this thread would like to collaborate, that's great. I think that we as a community should vote on the preferred ending in about a couple of days.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think that there should be a formal vote, but rather we all post parts of an ending, decide upon which concepts we do or do not like, and I'll form them all together to make one complete, incredibly-lengthy ending (with awful MSpaint drawings to boot).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:06:59 am by Gnorm »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:53 am »

Well then, I kind of had a plan.

I'd have the fortress get sealed off from the surface world for some amount of years. Asmoth uses this time to learn some magic, absorb some adamantine, perform some horrific experiments, take to wearing that goblin bone mask, get called the Witchdoctor, etc.
Then, some unfortunate fool unseals Steelhold... and the Bloodkin pour forth in an unstoppable tide and destroy civilization (probably using survivors as sentient cattle, in massive apocalyptic blood farms for style points), with the exception of some dwarves who manage to flee across the sea.

Speaking of the bloodkin, can we get an update 4maskwolf? I actually made the entire race (except for interactions... which were kind of the whole point of the race) at some point out of boredom. Can you pass me the files after you finish? I have some clever plans and nasty tricks involving race-specific weaponry.
4mask needs to know what specifically you want from them.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 13, 2014, 03:08:02 am »

All right, just to get this all started, I wrote up a potential beginning to our ending. We can discuss it later.

The fortress was already in shambles. The dwarves went about their daily lives, doing no work and contributing absolutely nothing to the already crumbling fortress in which they lived. Nevertheless, the old penal colony still maintained some vague semblance of order within its halls and it seemed as if their society would simply make a gradual disappearance. The future, however, is often unpredictable, and not all fortresses are as they seem.

The year two-hundred-sixty-two had just begun when one member of society decided that there was no further need for the continuing existance of Steelhold. He did, afterall, have more important matters to attend to, and Steelhold was just a single step in his master plan; therefore, he decided that he would move on to his next step. Making his way down to the lowest depths of the fortress, he proceeded down a flight of stairs which lead right through a tunnel of warm, blue ore. He found himself in an impressive structure composed of silver -- comfortable, though comfort was not his goal in this instance. He came up to a great drawbridge, and with a mighty push, managed to let it fall down before him, opening the fortress to the world of the demons.

The dwarf stepped out of the tower and called out into the darkness: "Brothers! The moment of our triumph is nearing fast!"

The dwarf stepped into the light of the fires, allowing himself to be seen by the many eyes of the damned. He was a young dwarf, though he stood tall and had an aura of nobility to him. As the devils bagan to gather, he swept a bow and removed his hat. "I must introduce myself now. My name is James Joyce Esq. -- also known as 'Corley.'"

I say that a simple tantrum spiral is too normal for this fort. We need a long ending, and preferably one that takes down half of the fortress' structure with it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 13, 2014, 08:59:21 am »

Well then, we could conceivably flood the fort as a means of preventing non-vamp access.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 13, 2014, 06:34:52 pm »

that's ok, It lasted long enough. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 47