Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 266083 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #615 on: February 17, 2014, 03:51:44 pm »

Probably.  At the very least 500.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 17, 2014, 04:20:29 pm »

I asked for a dwarf but then steelhold died. Do I end up beginning 7 or first migrant wave? Also thank you for all the hard work you have done and the entertainment you brought u(group hug with sock)
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold
« Reply #617 on: February 17, 2014, 04:26:23 pm »

^ I think you'll have to ask for a dwarf in the new thread once it goes up.

The full thousand years would probably be too long, unless the majority of the bloodkin are happy where they are and the ones that will be attacking the new fort are raiders.

Will the bloodkin be allied with goblins via the babysnatcher tag, by the way, or are you relying on their ethics to ensure they're at was with everyone?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:33:10 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 17, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »

Will the bloodkin be allied with goblins via the babysnatcher tag, by the way, or are you relying on their ethics to ensure they're at was with everyone?
I think that if they are given the [CRAZED] tag, they'll be against anything no matter what, which is what I assume we want.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 17, 2014, 05:10:39 pm »

No crazed, just... well, you'll see.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 17, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »

I think that if they are given the [CRAZED] tag, they'll be against anything no matter what, which is what I assume we want.

Yes, but this includes other CRAZED, and allows the creature to ignore civ loyalties. We have... other mechanisms.

Alright, so I have the files. They just need tweaking - bloodkin are a tad spammy right now. Like, the thaumaturgists are still pretty rare, but they're spammy. Also give me like a day to bugtest/gen, and we're good to go.
Also, looking into the errorlog; there's some strange shit in the old Steelhold save. Creatures that shouldn't exist. Creatures that are improperly modded. So far I've found 'fallen angels' 'Armok' and 'Nothing'. There's also something called the Norgard. I guess in future, don't install your raws into Steelhold? Idk how they'd have gotten in there if not purposefully.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 17, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »

They're spammy, sure, but their attacks aren't that powerful.  At least, they shouldn't be.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 17, 2014, 06:05:28 pm »

Also, looking into the errorlog; there's some strange shit in the old Steelhold save. Creatures that shouldn't exist. Creatures that are improperly modded. So far I've found 'fallen angels' 'Armok' and 'Nothing'. There's also something called the Norgard. I guess in future, don't install your raws into Steelhold? Idk how they'd have gotten in there if not purposefully.
We have two suspects: CubeJackal, who generated the world, and fractalman, who replaced the files to fix the graphics.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 17, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »

the nothing are from nomekast
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »

I was thinking of doing up a tv tropes page for Steelhold if that's ok. I missed some stuff around the middle, so if anyone wants to add to it, it should be up some time tomorrow, barring objections.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:12 pm »

I was thinking of doing up a tv tropes page for Steelhold if that's ok. I missed some stuff around the middle, so if anyone wants to add to it, it should be up some time tomorrow, barring objections.
Go ahead.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 18, 2014, 06:01:04 pm »

As a shameless plug for the wiki, there is plenty more that needs to be done and I'd rather not write pages for active players.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 18, 2014, 11:51:27 pm »

How close are we to the second thread?

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 20, 2014, 12:20:52 am »

Epilogue
Through the Aether

The spirit of Rhaken watched from beyond as Oku fell, taken at last by Emdief, none other than her arch enemy. Rhaken had always known the lad was meant for great deeds. Perhaps this was the greatest deed of all.

The spirits of the fortress champions stood in a semicircle, watching the destruction of Steelhold from beyond the veil. Rhaken with hands behind his back. Jackal with arms folded across his chest. Lorius with hands clasped. Front-row seats to this spectacle, an ending to all the madness. At least for a time. Once it was all over, Rhaken was the first to speak.

"So. It is done."

The soul of Emdief appeared through the aether, dragging a new soul from the wreckage of their destroyed home. Uristador. For he, too, was now counted amongst the dead. Emdief walked toward the champions, toward the soul of the dwarf he had considered an ally. Ally? Not quite. Something else though, something far more precious. A friend.

Rhaken clapped the engineer on the arm.

"I believe it is time you join us at last, lad. You've earned your place, more than any us."

The three champions made room for the fourth, and Emdief took his place among them with a wan smile. Gazing down through the endless light through to the mortal world, he sighed.

"And to think, all I wanted was revenge." Staring down at the wreckage of his late home in life - both lives - Emdief shrugged. "We could have had our dream, had things been different," the champion said. "We could have been free. I guess this will have to do."

"The truest of freedoms is ours now, my friends," Lorius Zane chipped in, "for it is eternal and divine. A reward for our deeds in life, that shall forever endure beyond our time among the living."

Uristador looked at the four dwarves standing before him, the glory they exuded making him feel smaller than ever. The eyes of each one of them was fixed upon him, expressions veiled. A prolonged silence filled the air with antecipation.

It was Jackal who broke it.

"Rise, Uristador," he said, and the guardsdwarf realized he had been kneeling. He straightened, yet felt no larger in their presence.

"Do not be afraid, warrior," the Warden continued. "It is time to be rejoined with your ancestors."

Uristador's shoulders slumped. How could he possibly join his ancestors? He was a vampire. His soul was lost, unholy, barred from the afterlife and sentenced to destruction in holy fire. He had heard enough of Karius Durtis's sermons and tirades to know that much.

"You're joking," he said at length, tears welling in the corners of his eyes. "I'm an abomination. The gods won't even take my soul."

"Not so, warrior," said Lorius Zane. "The gods have decided that you deserve better."

Uristador was taken aback. "What do you mean?"

"Guardsdwarf Uristador," the Priest proclaimed, "for your actions in this time of darkness, your soul has been cleansed of Curse and Crime and allowed entry into the afterlife."

Just like that, it was done. Something shifted inside Uristador, as if a great weight had been lifted from his soul, and he started to disperse. The Heroes of Steelhold faded from his sight, and in their place appeared an endless city of gold.

Uristador walked into the afterlife and into the embrace of loved ones, shedding a single tear of joy and thanking Gods and Heroes.

Jackal craned his head. "Here she comes."

Up through the aether rose the spirit of Modi, brows furrowed and lips thinned to a line.

"I don't think that was the end of it," she told the Heroes as she walked to Jackal's side. "Shank, Kivish, Corley and Asmoth still live. The first two may be trapped, but I don't know for how long."

Emdief scowled. "Can't we fix that?"

"I'm afraid not," Rhaken replied. "Our influence in the mortal world is dim and limited. For now, we can only bide our time."

"I don't know about you lot," quipped Jackal, an arm around Modi's waist, "but I'm content to do just that for a while."

Emdief grinned. "I guess the Warden's right. What's the point of having all of eternity if you don't get to spend it doing what you want?"

The engineer's statement was met with smiles and nods of assent. Though the evils of Steelhold were by no means extinguished, they were sealed away at the edge of the world. It would be many years before they could rise from their obsidian prison.

"That settles it then," said Lorius. "We will all meet again someday, my friends. Until then, Armok keep you. And may the dwarves of the mortal world never forget our deeds and our home."

The meeting of the Ascended had come to an end, and each spirit faded away, to enjoy their afterlives until such a time came that they would need to convene again.

Rhaken walked through the aether, a smile upon his lips. Though he could have chosen to look young again here in the beyond, he decided to remain old. It was how they would remember him. How he would remember himself.

Ahead of him stood Onul, still looking old, yet as beautiful as the day they had married. In one hand, she cradled their baby, taken from them both at the end of her mother's life, now with them once more. In the other, she held the hand of their first daughter, Sibrek, lost to them for decades, now once more reunited with her mommy and daddy. Behind stood his eldest son Udil, grinning, glad to see his father again.

Rhaken kissed his wife, hugged his lost children. Words could not describe how much he had missed them. The tragedy of outliving most of his children, set right at long last. They had a lot of catching up to do.

The old warrior smiled. He had all the time in the world.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 20, 2014, 09:42:10 am »

Update!

So, I've been running bugfixes & tests and whatnot. Things have been a little busier for me than I thought, so it's a little slow. I just need to finish a few bugfixes, alter the raws to insert references to Steelhold in art and whatnot, and gen. Then I'll post the thread and pass the fort along to 4maskwolf, who gets to be the first player. You dug your own grave, pal.

Anyway thanks for your patience.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47