Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast Danger Evaluation  (Read 5555 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast Danger Evaluation
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Forgotten_beast

It's at the end of the page.

Tell me what you think about it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Forgotten Beast Danger Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »

Water, Grime, Filth, Salt, Steam, Smoke : Incredibly fragile. Unless paired with a dangerous attack method, these should not be a threat at all.
He he he, true.

Adamantine: Run away. Seriously. Or use a cunning trap. But a forgotten beast made from adamantine is the absolute worst you can expect. You can kill it with cave-ins, obsidian encasing, but not much more.
Won't an adamantine FB be incredibly fragile on account of having cardboard bones?

Insect, Spider : Obnoxious because of the large amounts of redundant limbs.
Insect - may be able to innately fly.
Arachnids - may be able to innately spin webs or have a poisonous sting/bite, irregardless of its description.

Pretty good overall. Exceptional.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »

ˇSí sí!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:08:12 pm »

Checking through my current world.sav...

Dung beetles, tiger beetles, and rove beetles don't have a [FLIER] tag.

Arachnids - may be able to innately spin webs or have a poisonous sting/bite
Found a couple of spiders and tarantulas which don't call the silk template.

Of the couple of arachnids I found, the spiders all had noted bites and the scorpions all had noted stings. I'd need to find an arachnid with a different FB special to be able to make a definite statement on whether spiders and scorpions will always have a special attack appropriate to their animal shape.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tamsyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:58 am »

I recently had a forgotten beast that was composed of snow. Obviously it would go with the rest of the fragile types, but just pointing out that it's missing.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:36 am »

FBs composed of rock are immune to bolts - they get bodyparts chipped, but cannot be killed. I have one roaming the caverns that has some 50 pages of bolts (bone, copper, bismuth bronze and steel) stuck in its body, all body parts are red. I use it for target practice. It seems unamused. It remains to be seen whether this is true for all types of rock, or justo some of them. Worth taking note of anyway.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 04:55:45 pm »

There are Forgotten Beasts with a "hunger for warm blood", which means they can suck it out of their victims like a, for example, giant mosquito. The Wiki article doesn't mention that, probably since it's remarkably rare. They are about as dangerous as the poisonous bite/sting ones.

Ash beasts can be also found - there are quite fragile, but less so than the water/steam/grime/etc. FBs, and are massive enough to kick in a few heads before death.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:12:41 am »

really? i had two beasts visit my fort. managed to catch one.

they only drain blood when they stab the opponent.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 01:02:23 am »

Dung beetles, tiger beetles, and rove beetles don't have a [FLIER] tag.

Also rhinoceros beetles, had one with a posonous stinger a while back. Didn't find out the effect since marksdwarves had crippled it in an attempt to kill it from a platform and swordsdwarves were too quick for it. Plus the marksdwarves had dented it's exoskeleton all over the place and made just about every bodypart red.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever had a FB moth or butterfly?

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:23:49 am »

The ones that suck blood can be killed by drinking dwarves covered in necrosis causing grime or otherwise chock full of venom.  Anyway there was a giant leech who's brain went all numb after sucking my poor pump operator who was always bathing in whatever was left over from the last forgotten beast. 

Guaranteed I didn't hit him, not one member of my fortress managed to hit that leech :(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:29:07 am »

Hm, is it me or do FBs with noxious secretions not actually work right? I'm wondering this because I just had a great grouse which had that and it was covered with a coating, but it didn't transfer to anything (other than three spent bolts and it's corpse), despite one of the soldiers biting it. The dwarf who bit the FB should have the FB extract in his/her mouth, but they don't.

This FB also went down somewhat easy.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:21 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Forgotten_beast

It's at the end of the page.

Tell me what you think about it.

Looks good, but I'm not sure the "if you do not want your fun spoiled!" warning is necessary, considering there's already one at the top of the page. If you still want it there and the wiki doesn't mind, I'd replace it with another instance of the warning at the top, just for more consistent spoiler warning.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:24 am »

I'd use either {{spoiler}} or {{minorspoiler}} ({{minorspoiler}} is the one at the top of the article). I'm thinking something like this would work (with a minor warning at the top and a major warning for the later spoilers), but it depends on how major you think the spoilers are.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.