Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wiki block  (Read 1854 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
wiki block
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:39:43 pm »

Well good day to all.

I personally hate it for my first post in any community to be a complaint, but it seems that I was blocked from the wiki in today's spambot hunt.

Henceforth, I took the adequate actions and registered here and took some of my time to write this in order to prove I'm not a spambot.

Also, I did contribute quite recently to the wiki with some research, so the only reason I think I was blocked was because several users registered before and after me.

Locriani, I would be thankful if you did something to this regard.

All in all, continue to have a good day.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wiki block
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:28 pm »

You should PM the manager of the wiki (locriani). It's entirely possible that your name got picked up by accident during the sweep.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:39 pm »

I read a similar post here regarding that aspect. I'm not in any rush and being we close to New Year's in some places, people most likely have better things to do.

From what I see the community is quite active here so I won't have to wait much. It I would have some sort of rush, I would PM him.
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:47:21 pm »

I've unblocked you. Sorry about that!
And I'll see what I can do about accidental blocks like this in the future. We have a neat tool that lets us block spambots more efficiently, but I'll try to put in a safeguard to prevent accidentally blocking users that have already made edits.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:35:10 am »

Oops, Sorry about the block Doktoro Reichard! I thought I had checked the history of all the usernames I had blocked, but I apparently failed on that regard.

Thanks for your patience and contributing to the wiki. :)
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:22:02 am »

Locriani, no problem, just glad to have done some !!SCIENCE!! for dwarvish causes.

Lethosor, I've read about that tool in an earlier post and the spambot attacks you have. In fact, all I need to do is to look at the Recent Changes page in the wiki to look at the several hordes of potential spambots.

IMHO, you shouldn't divulge a lot of information about your spambot prevention, as that may enable someone that passes by here to bypass the mechanisms. Rather, why not make so that, for the time being, new users should indicate in their registry form their bay12forums ID? Seems to me like most of the people that play DF and contribute to the wiki somehow end up here, and for spammers it's more work involved, hence a deterrent.