Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: breeding from egg-laying invader mounts?  (Read 4351 times)

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
breeding from egg-laying invader mounts?
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »

So, some goblins visited me and brought cave crocodiles for riding. Now I like cave crocs and had no luck grabbing any in the caverns so far, so I'd love to breed them - but...

- Invader mounts stay hostile to dwarves even after taming, and animals become trapavoid once tamed. Also, killing a tame creature might cause loyalty cascades (?). So taming them seems like a poor idea
- Wild animals don't claim nest boxes anymore (I think?), so I can't just drop them into a sealed-off chamber with a nest box. Not even ignoring the fact that any offspring would be eaten by the parents due to being of a different faction

Am I missing anything? Or are these poor crocs really useless to me other than as a one-time food source?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: breeding from egg-laying invader mounts?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:20:05 am »

I could be wrong, but if they function the same as wild animals who've killed a fortress entity, you could keep them in cages and train them. It will result in many more pauses though, as the game pauses when it reverts to wild and they are trained only when fully wild when in a cage unless my trainer dwarf was really lazy.

The benefit is it will increase the dwarves' familiarity with the species. I've tried breeding Ostriches through this method with wild Ostriches I previously caught, but before the eggs hatched the Ostrich female lost it's tame status and seemed to lose interest in it's eggs. It's now awaiting execution behind the floodgate I put it behind, once I'm sufficiently sure my dwarves will be armored well enough to take it down with no injuries.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:27:34 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:27 am »

I confirm taming ennemy pet then killing them will cause loyalty cascade.  Even after they reverted to wild state. I did have some !fun! with this one ><
However, I do think wild animal can claim nest box

If you want, you can tame them, breed some and throw parents in a death pit once egg hatched. No loyalty cascade this way.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:44:16 am »

hmm, that might just work. thanks for the tip :)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:50:53 am »

please don't

Invader mounts can be trained/tamed once, and only once, after which they disappear off your animal list. They will revert to wild status eventually and can't be retrained, but gain all the benefits of having been part of your fort: loyalty cascade if you kill them with soldiers and immunity to traps (not to lever or otherwise triggered upright spikes though), plus they remain an enemy iirc so instead of running away and hopefully off the map, they'll attack your dorfs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:55:44 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:28 am »

They disappear from the list? uhoh! they do! :o

Glad I this thing is still in that cage. I'll have to build a perforating chamber for it... and think about the others.

I could build a nestbox behind a path that perforates the croc if it turns fully hostile (or is done breeding), but how would I keep it from killing the young once they hatch... :-\

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:54:39 am »

chain it on a restraint within reach of the nestbox and pray the eggs hatch before it reverts or it'll destroy the nestbox instead, or at least not finish the whole process
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 05:01:13 pm »

Invader mounts can be trained/tamed once, and only once, after which they disappear off your animal list.

I've been able to get a wild jabberer back on the list after I tamed it, and it reverted while on a chain and dropped off the list. I got in into a cage somehow, at which point it reappeared on the Animals list - I don't remember exactly how; I think I assigned it to a pasture, but a dwarf came and up it into a cage instead. Or maybe I assigned it to a built cage? Frustrating that I can't remember exactly, but it's possible.

NOT SURE whether this would work for a tamed invader, potentially giving you multiple chances to have it successfully incubate a clutch of eggs before reverting. The jabberer in question may have been named after killing a dwarf while still wild.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:24:54 pm »

I think that to rear an invaders young you just need to chain it up near a nest box, it'll lay eggs when applicable and won't attack it's young due to the chain, but you will need cages to catch the young afterwards.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:56 pm »

I think I assigned it to a pasture, but a dwarf came and up it into a cage instead. Or maybe I assigned it to a built cage? Frustrating that I can't remember exactly, but it's possible.
If you unassign a wild animal from a chain, a dwarf will put it in a cage. Not sure if that applies to captured mounts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:17:15 pm »

I think that to rear an invaders young you just need to chain it up near a nest box, it'll lay eggs when applicable and won't attack it's young due to the chain, but you will need cages to catch the young afterwards.

wild animals won't use your nestboxes and invader mounts can't be tamed more than that first time. Enough to drag them to the butcher, not enough to hatch eggs usually, unless your civ is already familiar with training them and you manage to get it to a very high tame level in that one shot. Once it reverts to wild, the eggs won't hatch and it won't lay new eggs. It may even destroy the nestbox.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:55:37 pm »

I'll try the "hope to get a good training quality the first time around" method... I have a few crocs to experiment with, and since they're only buildingdestroyer 1 they shouldn't be too hard to keep contained :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »

Dwarf Therapist has served me well when looking for a dwarf to pick out as an animal trainer.

I'd estimate that +training+ would be enough to get one clutch of eggs hatched, but keep us posted.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »

note that without having any knowledge about the animal in your fort, or just a little, having a skilled trainer becomes very important, so you might train one up a bit before you start on the crocs

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »

I think I assigned it to a pasture, but a dwarf came and up it into a cage instead. Or maybe I assigned it to a built cage? Frustrating that I can't remember exactly, but it's possible.
If you unassign a wild animal from a chain, a dwarf will put it in a cage. Not sure if that applies to captured mounts.

Ah yes, I believe that was it.

However it is that I got there, the bottom line is that a reverted animal that disappeared from the Animals list ended up in a cage and back on the list, and was able to be tamed again.
Pages: [1] 2