Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game  (Read 35492 times)

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

How does combat between players work? From the video on the site I get the impression you would do best to log in as soon as possible if you're attacked.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 05:27:36 pm »

From what I've gathered, combat works by ships getting 1 round of long range attacks when ships first engage after entering a system, then any further attacks are close range ones until one fleet jumps out, haven't had to do more then a 2 rounds of combat with the pirate fleet.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »

Its just, nothing loads up when in normal mode... but after I switch to full screen, everything is working right.  Full screen is highly inconvenient.  (I might need to update my firefox though.)

The game is designed to be played in fullscreen, meaning actively playing, if you are "playing" the game while working or whatever, the following is how that was envisioned to work;

When prompted for fullscreen select remember & allow. This will prevent that prompt from showing again and FS will happen automatically.

Play in FS mode, when you want to go back to work, click the X button in top right. This takes you out of FS mode and stops all background processes, but does not "unload" the game. When you want to play again, click "resume" and you are back in FS mode, processes activated and data updated.

Since not much happens in-game until you do something, there is no need to have the game "running"when you are not active in it.

All that said. The game should run fine in windowed mode. The main problem is some panels may need to be scrolled about if your window is less than 1024 X 768.

Zangi: Next time you are in game, open the admin channel in your comm panel, this is a chat direct to me, and we can resolve the windowed issue.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 05:53:54 pm »

well...It looks like either my empire started in the middle of a dead empire...or I'm completely surrounded by imperial systems/strong independents.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:15:09 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 11:54:12 am »

well...It looks like either my empire started in the middle of a dead empire...or I'm completely surrounded by imperial systems/strong independents.
I've got the same situation.  Empire recycling I imagine.

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »

I suspect you guys have not explored all the stars you have access to.

If you do, you will find things open up beyond...

If you have explored all stars (use hotkey shift U, to see) then there is a bug, please report.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 07:49:40 am »

I've started to use routes.  They seem a good way to keep my fleets moving when I'm not online, especially with longer routes.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 02:39:30 am »

I have a few hours in this game and actually really like it.

I almost gave up on it after restarting the tutorial 4 times. It is heavy handed but serves a sneaky purpose. You have to get to understand how jump timers work.

When I finaly got in game I almost gave up when I realized how much thought you had to put into getting resources to correct planets. I'd re-name fleets and hope I remembered to keep them moved. Then I started really looking into routes. Honestly routes make this game more playable than similar games like Travian AND limit some of the advantages people get by being on more often.

Pro tips on routes: Any ship can be put on an ad-hoc route. Click the ship, hit the route button and hit new route. Just dropped off nano bots at a distant planet? ad-hoc route your fleet home so they are ready the next time you need them.

Use routes to bring all your minerals home to a primary processing point. Set up a single freighter on a route and order it to pick up all minerals from a mining planet, jump home, and drop them off, then repeat.

Use a route to get your archeologist to tour every star you own.

My advice would be to give it a shot, knowing that tutorial will make you punch your monitor. After that I think the game progressively gets better.

Also props to the OP who I assume is "StarLords 3K - Administration" for responding to feed back so quick and not constantly bumping this thread for every minor update. I would have to guess he is Admin from the forums with the MOO II avatar. He seems to always be on chat so ask questions there as well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:42:15 am by Fikes »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 03:33:30 am »

Honestly I think this game has a lot of potential, you know, possibly even a commercial success like such games as neptunes pride and such but simply more complex, with different storys for each server. The one and only major problem I see that is the most detrimental right now is getting into and understanding the game. It takes me as a new player like..Hours to get accustomed to the UI, what all the buttons and interfaces do and such. I like to be able to jump in a game and really know what I'm doing. I don't really have a good solution except for improving the UI, usability and finally a single-player tutorial CAMPAIGN. It might take some time and such but it should be able to really teach you what to do in game and in a far easier manner than it currently is. All this is, you know, for whenever the dev decides it's a priority but the benefit I could see is a lot more players, popularity and frankly more deep storylines and diplomatic situations. Otherwise I don't really see this game exploding in popularity, if that is you know your goal.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »

The only way I was able to deal with the complexity was to say to myself: "Look, you don't have to understand it all right now.  Just get the simple things and learn the rest later."

It mostly worked, although I've got a massive fleet overhaul currently because I didn't understand that ships slowly die when not in supply.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 03:15:42 pm »

As we could have learned from a game named Dwarf Fortress sometimes a good wiki and community can replace the need of tutorials and manuals ;)
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

mahks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • StarLords3K
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:33 am »

Honestly I think this game has a lot of potential, you know, possibly even a commercial success
This is not a commercial endeavour, glad you think it has potential though.

Hours to get accustomed to the UI ... I don't really have a good solution except for improving the UI
Any suggestions on  how to do this would be appreciated.

I almost gave up on it after restarting the tutorial 4 times. It is heavy handed ...My advice would be to give it a shot, knowing that tutorial will make you punch your monitor.
I fixed up the tutorial a bit, hopefully it is less heavy handed. Someone pointed out that I never really explained what that tricky bit was, that was the main point of the tutor. So now that is stated up front so new players know what to look for.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 02:40:20 am »

I can't believe I have been playing almost a month already.

I still really enjoy the game. I have witnessed first hand some very very good development decisions. Early on one of the most annoying parts of the game was moving resources around and trying to figure out what you sent and were you sent it. The developer recognized this and started farming out ideas to make it better. After a week or so, with the help of the community, he came up really a really excellent new system that cuts way down on the over head of the game.

Right now my empire is in the slowly expanding and building up a military phase. I have yet to come across anyone who wants to blap me but there are some stars I would like to take over near by.

Once you get a little tuned in to the interface it isn't that hard to jump on for 5 minutes twice a day and point your empire in the right direction.

As for the interface... it can be a little odd at time. There is no way to pan the screen for instance. It isn't really a problem, it is just... odd. Other things are like the fact that if you want to activate a plan you have to click 5 or 6 times start to finish.

Anyways, regardless of all that, if you like games like MOO, jump in. The developer is hungry for ideas and direction to, so expect to have an influence on the design of the game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 02:46:13 am »

My life has gotten busy, so I've had to cut responsibilities, this game being one such cut.  But if you can spare a little time each day (5 minutes is a pretty low estimate, unless you're going on twice a day and only need to confirm trades), it's a lot of fun.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:11 am »

I've had trouble logging on all morning.  Anyone else?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13