Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 168205 times)

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1200 on: February 14, 2014, 05:35:25 pm »

Then i must be doing something wrong here.

This is how i have it set up. The Torture Chamber is the top-right building. I had a garbage dump area right next to the worker, but it didnt really do anything. I assumed that the invader had to be caught in that smoke to transform into a Ghoul. Is there a way to tell if the reaction worked? Do they just break out of the cage, or appear on Therapist?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: It seems...to be working, kinda. Ive been getting messages like "X has been missing for a week". The names are the same as the guys i was using for the invader corrupting. So i tried again, and this time removed them from the cages, but they seemed to be hostile against my fort. Is that how its supposed to work?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:52:55 pm by Dazbuzz »

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 14, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »

Then its working as intended. There is no bug. Skeletons need a Warlock or Pylon to be controled, period. When you say that you need to reassign them to the squad: Put a Warlock in it. If you say that you need too many pylons: Make large, open areas, since it works line-of-sight. If you dont like the engraving thing, use unskilled labor, or spawn more ghouls from invaders, prisoners or the graveyard.

There are always options. You have to adapt to the features.

How exactly do the skeletons check for nearby pylons or warlocks? I was under the impression that they were fine going a few weeks without a pylon, but what happened several times is that a skeleton goes into the main dining hall that always has one or two idle warlocks. I had a nothing but a single door between a stockpile for bones and that dining hall, and yet I constantly had skeletons going opposed to life in there. This would make sense if there's just a check every now and then for a nearby pylon and if the skeleton fails that check they go opposed to life. Otherwise, I don't understand why they go opposed to life when they only step into that room for a second to grab a bone.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 14, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »

Well thanks for the answers to my questions. So is there a reason why the warlocks are so hard to get?
One thing that would be nice say mid-late game, would be if you could take a invader and around ten souls, and then create a warlock(with just the default skills and only say a 5-10 percent chance[the invader would die no matter what]).

The other idea I had for late game would be to add the zombie juju, I.E. a stronger, tougher, and faster zombie with a few low level death spells. I would say it would take books, gem dust, plant dust, a couple of souls, and a corpse.

Plus as for the skeletons I have no problems with them. Then again I am playing on a 2x2 map.

Edit: would it be possible for warlocks on death to drop a soul gem, that you could use to revive them?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:43:02 pm by choppy »

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 14, 2014, 11:51:48 pm »

And Meph, you haven't responded to the talk about the skeletons' problems. Do you plan to fix the bug, or alter the mechanics to where they weaken away from pylons, or what? As it is, the malfunctioning pylons make warlocks my least favorite race to play since they just require so much more micromanagement. You have to create more skeletons, do the engraving thing to make them work, throw pylons around every corridor, and constantly reassign skeletons to their squad.
Then its working as intended. There is no bug. Skeletons need a Warlock or Pylon to be controled, period. When you say that you need to reassign them to the squad: Put a Warlock in it. If you say that you need too many pylons: Make large, open areas, since it works line-of-sight. If you dont like the engraving thing, use unskilled labor, or spawn more ghouls from invaders, prisoners or the graveyard.

There are always options. You have to adapt to the features.

Anyone know how to "corrupt an invader" to turn them into a Ghoul at the Torture Chamber? I have a stockpile right next to the building with caged invaders in it and i have a garbage stockpile right next to the center of the workshop tile with a caged invader in there too. Nothing happens after i run the reaction though. What am i doing wrong?
It should work the way you describe it. I know several people have converted invaders in reports I got.

Having a warlock as your Crypt Lord solves that, though it makes a skeleton-only squad impossible, and when you already have (what is essentially) only three squads, that's a high demand.

It also does not solve the problem. Meph Skeletons disappear from squads even if they're training, stationed on a pylon, or constantly in the visual range of a warlock. It seems to happen every time they do their opposed to life check, not when they actually go opposed to life. So every three months (?) they leave the squad.

Edit: Actually, as it is, Skeletons can't be nobles at all. I'm fine with that, but squads need to be fixed.

Oh, and I'm not sure what the method is, but how do you get Ghouls available for military service? Once I get them from the graveyard, there's like a 1/10 chance they're eligible for military in the first few months of butchering and such.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:54:02 pm by DoX »

Shadowics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26:16 pm »

With the coming of the snowy spring, a Ghoul and a Witch decided to celebrate their love.
Unfortunately, their happiness was quickly followed by tragedy, as one of their skeletal servants collapsed into a pile of bones.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1205 on: February 16, 2014, 03:12:36 am »

I think I know what the skeleton problem is.  Sounds like they have a short period of going opposed to life that the control interaction simply removes.  This can be fixed by making the ineraction multi-stage: instead of going opposed to life, they give themselves the ability to go OTL once the control wears off, which actually activates a week or so later if they haven't been re-controlled.  This way they never actually go OTL as long as they are within range of a pylon,  so no leaving squads or losing workshop profiles.

Meph's been busy, so I'll see if I can make a patch in the meantime.

Dwarf-Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:59 am »

The Warlocks are extremly well done. Fun to play and stylish.
2 things did not work.
- A ghoul and vampire corpse  were resurected by a monolith.They got the status friendly and attacked the  monolith. Resulting in aggressive bodyparts which are always resurected and  following the monolith and pushing it around on the map.
- When zombies are made with the necro shrine, not a corpse is used like written but a stack of bones. So you get a walker zombie for 2 bones for example. And you can kill and butcher them getting a soul and other materials which is a expoit for itself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1207 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:15 am »

Is noted.

Warmist did post another version of his spawnunit again, so it might be possible to have spawned ghouls and skeletons join the military directly.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »

Whats this Overlord ability to summon 4 minions per year? Ive never seen him do it. Is it announced like a Migrant wave? Can the minions be Warlocks/Vampires?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2014, 05:28:31 am »

It shows in the combat log "the overlord summons his minions to him", and four more minions spawn. Minions... like any other minion any other overlord spawns. The air, fire, acid or ice mephits.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2014, 06:48:43 am »

Oh its those lil guys. I wondered why i had more of those things hanging around. They make for good eatin'

I love those suits of armor. They are pretty badass. I made a Dreadnought one, and it was...spraying acid(?) at stuff with each attack. Until it got beheaded to a Dwarven Axelord.

By the way, are you aware of the problems with souls from invaders? They cannot be stored in Hourglasses, but they can be used raw. They all have different names like "Human Soul" or "Goblin Soul" etc. Even some named souls from named mobs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:04 am »

I thought the differentiated souls were odd to, but I just opted for having my warlocks nom them since I assigned them to soul siphon duty. Makes for some damn speedy wizards I tells ya.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:07 pm »

The invader souls dealio has been addressed, it's a result of the new orc fortress changes. I bugged Meph about it enough. Also, them souls are also tasty treats for skeleton engraving, so save your dwarf/elf/human/gnome/more dwarf butchering for when you're mass upgrading the local talent.

Also buying demons. Demons are nice.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:22 pm »

I swear, at some point I will find the time to do a bugfix release before I leave. But atm I busy realizing how much I suck at wordpress and twitter. ^^

Dazbuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:24 pm »

The invader souls dealio has been addressed, it's a result of the new orc fortress changes. I bugged Meph about it enough. Also, them souls are also tasty treats for skeleton engraving, so save your dwarf/elf/human/gnome/more dwarf butchering for when you're mass upgrading the local talent.

Also buying demons. Demons are nice.

Yeah this is what ive been doing so far. Mass butchering invaders then quickly using up the raw souls whilst forbidding my stored ones. Also helps to have a dedicated butcher workshop and stockpile for corpses, along with a second for the annoying partial limbs.

Demons are kinda nice. So far ive only really bothered with the vermin hunters and Cerberus. However the latter kinda sucks. It breathes fire, which is cool, but mine tend to die very easily without the fire doing much. I feel like its best to save up for a Cinder/Shadow beast, or BALROG!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 110