Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 166534 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 4
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:41 am »

Oh, and while we're on the topic, it is possible to make cold, eternally burning objects by setting their ignite point below their fixed temperature.  These will function just like regular items but will produce smoke.  Useless, but good for atmosphere.  Incense pans.  Flaming cloaks.  Something.
:o  (probably kills FPS)

I tested, its around 120 days. Half of that if I add both cold and heatdam points that are the same as the fixed temp. I havent tried larger differences in temps, I should probably make a table for that. Picks, armors, furniture, all works.

This might lead to epic "a masterwork has been lost" spam though. But if I take away the skill from the reaction, it finishes instantly. Again, slightly unbalanced. Maybe an intermediate step that needs a skill, makes a boulder, then using the boulder as a reagent for a skill-less final step. But I am open to better suggestions.

Indigofenix: These smoking items... I guess you can also make them wither away after some time, same way as the others. This leads to a very nice idea about furnaces. Orcish Blacksmoke furnace would have a reason to be build outside for once.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:10:20 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2014, 08:18:21 am »

Test started. They wont touch burning objects. My cold, smoking chair doesnt even show up in the build menu as chair. ^^

Black smoke is created, real one. Causes thoughts like "choked on smoke underground lately". Nice. Rain puts it out. (Correction: Start of rain put it out for a few secs, but it starts to burn again on the next check of temperature, regardless of the fact that its still raining.

People could make 1-day smoke-items. Start furnace, makes smoke, item withers away after a few hours, so only one cloud of smoke gets released. This means furnace workers are a bit unhappier, and it makes sense to build smokestacks/air-vents.

Item tested: Chairs.

100 points difference lasted <3 days.
80 points difference lasted <4 days.
60 points difference lasted ~4 days.
40 points difference lasted ~6 days.
20 points difference lasted ~9 days.
10 points difference lasted ~15 days.
5 points difference lasted <30 days. (Didnt quite catch it. Between 25 and 30)

This means we can have items that last ~120 days max, and progress down from there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:30:12 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:00 am »

Sorry for the triple post, but new topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylactery

How about this: You take a soul (which withers away), and a hourglass, and make a phylactery. It's essentially soul storage, a way to make souls not wither away. Phylacteries could be used for everything that souls are being used for.

This way you can build the Ethereal portal quickly from a soul (but it will be gone after a month), or you build the building later again, when you have access to phylacteries, and it will be a constant workshop. :)

EDIT: About the ethereal/ephemeral things: I am quite undecided. On the one hand, I can do furniture that withers away, which is great (because its new). On the other hand it would result in a lot of micromanagement. Lets rebuild the entire sleeping area every 3 months or so. -.- The ethereal weapons and armors as well, equipping military is complex enough. And I wanted to use the ether-stuff to allow people to color-code their dungeons easily, to make red, blue, magenta rooms and designs... I am still trying to come up with a good mix of all this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:59:00 am by Meph »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:36 am »

Phylacteries sound like a pretty cool idea, as long as they are warlock only.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:11:40 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2014, 10:19:31 am »

Everything in here is warlock-only.   :P

Edit: Wait a second. Ethereal metals mean that I can give invaders very good gear, which automatically self-destructs after a while. This would solve problems of FPS and that the game is too easy, because you can equip yourself too easily.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:23:00 am by Meph »

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:29 am »

You could have two sets of reactions at the ethereal portal - One set for permanent blocks, maybe with a reagent that is readily abundant, like clay or sand, and make it a high yield like slag to concrete.  The second set would be truly ethereal, and fade after 120 days.    That would allow players to decided how to make things.

For ethereal weapons, maybe make them out of second workshop, and limit the qualities of the ethereal material type to make it a mid range material, so it won't just be an IWIN button.

The smoke idea is interesting, but I would maybe be careful adding that to underground-centric races.  It would make using magma workshops much more difficult, and it can already be a big challenge digging down to the magma without have smokestacks going all the way to the surface or a cavern level.  Very cool idea though.  Thematically I like it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2014, 11:48:35 am »

You could have two sets of reactions at the ethereal portal - One set for permanent blocks, maybe with a reagent that is readily abundant, like clay or sand, and make it a high yield like slag to concrete.  The second set would be truly ethereal, and fade after 120 days.    That would allow players to decided how to make things.

For ethereal weapons, maybe make them out of second workshop, and limit the qualities of the ethereal material type to make it a mid range material, so it won't just be an IWIN button.

The smoke idea is interesting, but I would maybe be careful adding that to underground-centric races.  It would make using magma workshops much more difficult, and it can already be a big challenge digging down to the magma without have smokestacks going all the way to the surface or a cavern level.  Very cool idea though.  Thematically I like it.
Most of this is what I was going for.

I currently have a ethereal forge, which makes items from 2 materials. Irongrade, withers away after 3-4 months, and steelgrade, withers away after 1 month.

The furniture stays forever, but the blocks wither away. So you can make constructs with them (these stay forever as well), but you cant use the blocks for anything else.

Making these buildings now costs a soul, which withers away as well. ^^

Smoke would be on fuel-reactions only, not on the magma workshops.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [WARLOCK] - Dev Log - Day 5
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

Dev Log - Day 5 - I added scythes as two-handed spears, maces and mauls (two handed mace), and removed whips, because they are effectively the same as scourges. I tested the nobles and wrote the manual page on them, and did a lot of testing with vanishing materials, as seen above. I used it to redo the ethereal portal, and add a ethereal forge. Did the manual entries for them as well. I also did more building designs, added all the fitting hotkeys to the buildings and made a little list which I will post here.

Feedback more then welcome. I will try to wrap up a alpha-release tomorrow, so that people can playtest a little bit if they like. It wont include any sort of balancing, but at least you can have a look at the things that are added so far. :)

EDIT: I also added all the building designs to the manual, with a little table and the fitting links at the top, but no content yet. Just the graphics.

A note about the nobles: The harbinger and his 100 unit-squad should simulate a necromancer on top of this shambling army of undeads. No big tactics, just a large group of undeads. It should play differently from dwarves, thats why. ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:46:07 pm by Meph »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:22 pm »

Damn, all that is looking awesome.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »

Hm, i like how you are going the fine line between awesome features and playability. Looks really interesting right now.

PS: I guess the mistress uses a scourge now :P

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2014, 01:02:42 pm »

Awesome features for sure. ;) Playability: Lets hope so. ^^

PS: I guess the mistress uses a scourge now
Its not by weapon, but weapon skill:
[EXECUTION_SKILL:WHIP] - this means scourge or flails, both are ok. But it makes a lot more sense to get hit with a whip as a punishment, than a hammer... I think. Except the Hexenhammer. ^^

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »

Playtesting will come.  I may take the alpha out for a spin after I finish up my forts.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »

So the way the military is set up sounds like you can only have 2 squads? (the harbringer one and the doctor one?) or can you also have other militia captains aside from the 4 thematic ones?

I'm wondering how you'd set up some nice archer skeletons on the balcony :P

I took the libery to do a little sprite editing aswell, I figured a female warlock becomming the mistress wouldn't suddenly make her sprout wings and horns and become a succubus.

I tried to find a nice pale and sickly skintone but it doesn't feel quite right yet

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

So the way the military is set up sounds like you can only have 2 squads? (the harbringer one and the doctor one?) or can you also have other militia captains aside from the 4 thematic ones?
The horsemen of the apocalypse are all in 4 separate squads, apparently.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2014, 05:05:52 pm »

Well, I've been doing theory, but procrastination is easy and usefulness is hard. Current ETA: Heat death of the universe.
Progress so far:
A weak chamber which can be quickly and basically built. Provides very little !!FUN!!, although needs another use to keep it relevant.
A stronger chamber which provides greater information and a good amount of !!FUN!!- probably needs another hook too.
A chamber dedicated to psychological torture - less !!FUN!!, but great information capacities.
A chamber of maximum !!FUN!! where you can give Warlocks proper bonuses - but good luck getting info out of anyone.
A humiliation chamber where the warlocks get minor, long lasting bonuses, to skills for example.
Some of the could be merged or removed.

A variety of instruments - need names and effects, although I'm thinking:
2x regular conventional torture instruments.
1x regular torture instrument for max !!FUN!!.
2x magically imbued torture instruments (perhaps needing souls?).
1x magically imbued torture instruments for maximum information.

A variety of maps - some real, some wrong, some fake (trapped).
Travelers - surprise the nomads - easy slaves, little treasure. Maps one use.
Merchants - ambush a convoy - easy money, easy slaves. Maps one use.
Armored convoy - jackpot - lots of materials, few slaves. Maps one use.
Town - Town raid - standard torture award, easyish slaves and treasure, moderate rewards.

Any suggestions? Lots and lots here.
Work ho! :)
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 110